Academic and Research Staff
9.1 The appointment of Professors is subject to Statute 8.1.
9.2 Shortlists require the approval of the Chair of the Panel (for professorial appointments) or the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) (other posts). Heads of School are responsible for the consistent operation of recruitment procedures in line with University policy and for ensuring that School staff involved in the process understand their responsibilities and are appropriately briefed.
9.3 The Committee for Academic Staff Promotions, shall determine and review criteria for the grading, probation and promotion of academic and research staff for approval by Senate.
9.4 The Committee for Academic Staff Promotions shall also consider proposals from Schools to promote serving academic staff to the grades of Senior Lecturer, Reader and Professor, and their equivalents in research, and shall report its recommendations for approval to Senate and Council.
9.5 Details of all appointments shall be reported to the next meeting of Senate and Council.
9.6 For Professorial appointments, including Professorial Research Fellow, the Appointments Panel will normally comprise:
- The Vice-Chancellor or his/her nominee (in the Chair)
- A member of the Council, nominated by Council
- The Vice-Principal or a Pro-Vice-Chancellor, normally the Pro-Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for research
- The Head of School or his/her nominee
- Normally at least one other member of the School
- Where appropriate, an External Assessor.
Senior Academic Manager Appointments
9.7 The Appointments Panel for Heads of School or equivalent will normally comprise:
- Chancellor or his/her nominee (in the Chair)
An independent member of the Council, nominated by the Council
- The Vice-Principal
- A Pro-Vice-Chancellor, normally the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- The Director of Human Resources
- Where app
Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader Appointments
9.8 For Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader appointments (permanent and temporary) the Appointments Boards will consist of:
- The Vice-Chancellor, or his/her nominee, normally the Head of School(Chair)
- At least one, normally two, other senior members of the School
- A senior member of academic staff from another School, normally at SL (equivalent) or above
- Where appropriate, for appointments at Senior Lecturer or Reader level, an External Assessor
Special Research Institutes
9.9 For all appointments, other than Professor or Head (see paragraphs 9.6 and 9.7 above), the Appointments Panel should be constituted as follows:
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) (Chair)
- Head of the institute
- At least one other member of the academic staff from the relevant institute or a School
9.10 For Research Fellow appointments at levels up to and including RFIII the Appointments Panel should normally be constituted as follows:
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) or his/her nominee (Chair) (PVC(R) may delegate responsibility for RFI appointments to the Head of School)
- Head of School or his/her nominee
- At least two other members of the School
9.11 For appointments as Professorial Research Fellow, see paragraph 9.6 above.
9.12 Appointments at Research Assistant level are a matter for the relevant department.
Appointment of Associate and Visiting Staff
9.13 The University may appoint from time to time Associate members of staff on the recommendation of the appropriate Head of School concerned.
9.14 Appointees shall normally be individuals who have experience relevant to the work of the School concerned and shall be in a position to make a positive contribution to the work of the School. Appointments shall normally be on an annual basis.
9.15 The University may appoint as Visiting staff, individuals who are spending a short period of time at the University to participate in teaching or research activities. Such appointments are made by the Vice-Principal on the recommendation of the Head of School.
9.16 Appointment as an Associate or Visiting member of staff may carry such academic title as may be deemed appropriate by the Vice-Principal.
9.17 Appointment as an Associate or Visiting member of staff shall not include a contract for services and shall be unpaid, although an honorarium may be assigned, subject to the agreement of the Directorate of Human Resources. All such appointments shall be reported to Senate at least once a year.