The reading list below relates to the previous academic year.
For students intending to join the MBA programme in 2016/17,
please contact the MBA office for further information
if you are intending to purchase books.
Please note that the School provides the purchase of the first 4 core modules as part of the student’s tuition fees. Please contact the MBA office for further information.
- Operations Management
- Corporate Business and Finance
- Strategic Marketing Management
- Leading People and Managing Organisations
- Information Systems in Organisations
- Corporate and Competitive Strategy
- International Business
- Managing for the Future
- Managing Service Operations and Change in Healthcare
- Airline Management Economics and Ethics
- Airport Operations Management
- Business Project and Professional Development
- Business Economics
- Hill, A & Hill, T (2011), Essential Operations Management, Palgrave.
- Slack, N., Chambers, S. and Johnston, R. (2010), Operations Management, (6th Ed.), FT Prentice Hall
- Slack N and Lewis M (2010), Operations Strategy, FT Prentice Hall.
- Atrill, P. and McLaney, E. (latest edition) Accounting and Finance for Non Specialists, Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Arnold, G. (Latest edition) Corporate Financial Management, Harlow, Pearson Education.
- Arnold, J. and Turley, S. (latest edition) Accounting for Management Decisions, Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Atkinson, A., Kaplan, R. S., Matsumura, E. M. and Young, S. M. (latest edition)
Management Accounting: Information for Decision-Making and Strategy Execution, Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Atrill, P. and McLaney, E. (latest edition) Management Accounting for Decision Makers with MyAccountingLab access card, Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Berry, A. and Jarvis, R. (latest edition) Accounting in a Business Context, Andover: CENGAGE Learning.
- Collis, J., Holt, A. and Hussey, R. (latest edition) Business Accounting, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
- Drury C. (latest edition) Management and Cost Accounting, Andover: CENGAGE Learning.
- Glautier, M.W.E. and Underdown, B. (latest edition) Accounting Theory and Practice, Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Hilton, R., Maher, M. and Selto, F. (latest edition) Cost Management: Strategies for Business Decisions, London: McGraw-Hill.
- Pike, R. and Neal, B. (latest edition) Corporate Finance and Investment Decisions and Strategies, Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Robertson, J. and Mills, R.W. (latest edition) Accounting Principles for Non-Accounting Students, Lechlade: Mars Business Associates
- Watson, D. and Head, A. (Latest edition) Corporate Finance Principles and Practice, Harlow, Pearson education.
- Kotler, P., Armstrong, G., Wong, V. and Saunders, J. (2013), Principles of Marketing 6th European edn.,
- Fahey,J. and Jobber,D.(2012). Foundations of Marketing 4th edn, McGraw Hill Higher Education
- Ranchhod, A. and Gurau, C. (2007). Marketing Strategies: A Contemporary Approach 2nd edn, FT Prentice Hall
- Pitt, M. and Koufopoulos, D. (2012), Essentials of Strategic Management, Sage Publications, ISBN: 9781849201872.
- De Wit, B., & Meyer, R. (2010). Strategy: Process, Content, Context (Thomson, Ed. 4)
- Grant, R. (2010). Contemporary Strategy Analysis, (Blackwell, Ed. 7).
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K. and Whittington, R. (2008). Exploring Corporate Strategy, (FT Prentice-Hall, Ed. 8).
- Baden-Fuller, C. and Stopford, J.(1992). Rejuvenating the Mature Business (Routledge)
- Campbell, A., and Sommers Luchs, K. (1997). Core Competency-based Strategy (Thomson)
- Dixit, A., and Nalebuff, B. (1991). Thinking Strategically (Norton).
- Foss, N. (1997). Resources, Firms and Strategies (Oxford University Press).
- Goold, M., Campbell, A. and Alexander, M. (1994). Corporate Strategy (John Wiley).
- Hamel, G. and Heene, A. (1994). Competence-Based Competition, Wiley.
- Hendry, J. (2004). Between Enterprise and Ethics: Business and Management in a Bimoral Society (Oxford Univ. Press).
- Kay, J. (1995). Foundations of Corporate Success (Oxford Univ. Press).
- Mintzberg, H., Ahlstrand, B. and Lampel, J. (1998). Strategy Safari (Prentice-Hall).
- Nonaka, I., and Takeuchi, H.(1995). The Knowledge-Creating Company (Oxford Univ. Press).
- Porter, M. (1980). Competitive Strategy (Free Press).
- Porter, M. (1985). Competitive Advantage (Free Press).
- Quinn, J.B. (1980). Strategies for Change: Logical Incrementalism, (McGraw-Hill).
- Sutherland, J. and Canwell, D. (2004) Key Concepts in Strategic Management (Palgrave Macmillan).
- Whittington, R. (2000) What is Strategy and Does it Matter? (Thomson Learning).
- Volberda, H. and Elfring T. (2001) Rethinking Strategy (Sage).
- Taleb, N. N. (2007). The Black Swan: the Impact of the Highly Improbable, Allen Lane
ISBN - 978-0141034591
- Anderson, C. (2006), The Long Tail: How Endless Choice Is Creating Unlimited Demand, Random House
- Benkler, Y. (2006), The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom, Yale University Press
- Friedman, T. (2006), The World Is Flat: The Globalized World in the Twenty-first Century, Penguin
- Gladwell, M. (2002), The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference,Abacus
- Kelly, E. (2005), Powerful Times: Rising to the Challenge of Our Uncertain World, Prentice Hall
- Ringland, G. (1997), Scenario Planning: Managing for the Future, Wiley
- Schwartz, P. (2003), Inevitable Surprises: Thinking Ahead in a Time of Turbulence. Free Press
- Van der Heijden, K. (1996). Scenarios: the Art of Strategic Conversation, Wiley
- Anonymous Author (c.13000-10,000 BC) The Epic of Gilgamesh, (also called 'Sha naqba Imuru' trans. 'He who Saw the Deep', especially Tablet XI 'The Flood').
- Thompson, M. (2008), Organising and Disorganising. Triarchy Press.
- Huczynski, A. and Buchanan, D. (2010), Organizational Behaviour, New Edition (7th Revised edition) - Pearson Education
- Redman T, Wilkinson T, (2005), Contemporary Human Resource Management, Text and Cases, FT/Prentice Hall
- Anderson, N., Ones D.N.,Sinangil, H.K., Viswesvaran, C. (2001), Handbook of Industrial, Work and Organizational Psychology. SAGE
- Pears, R. and Shields, G. (2008), Cite them right: the essential guide to referencing and plagiarism.
Newcastle upon Tyne: Pear Tree Books.
Web link 1 & Web link 2
- Deresky, Helen. (2014). (8th ed.). International Management: Managing Across Borders and Cultures.
Pearson. ISBN: 10 0-273-78705-5. Henceforth Deresky.
- Rugman, A.M. & Collinson, S (2012) (6th Edn). International Business, FT/Prentice Hall.
- Bartlett Christopher A. and Beamish, Paul (2011). (6th ed.). Transnational Management: Texts, Cases, and Readings in Cross-Border Management.
McGraw-Hill Higher Education.ISBN -0-07-813711-2. Henceforth Bartlett.
- Dunning, John and Lundan, Sarianna (2008). Multinational Enterprises and the Global Economy, Edward Elgar Publishing.
ISBN: 1847201229. Henceforth Mnege.
- Rugman, Alan (ed.). (2009), (2nd. Edn). The Oxford Handbook of International Business. Oxford University Press.
ISBN: 978-0-19-923425-7. Henceforth Handbook.
- Ashkanasy, Neal M, Wilderom, Celeste.P.M, and Peterson, Mark F (eds.) (2000), Handbook of Organizational Culture & climate. Sage Publications.
- Buckley, P.J. & Gauri, P.N. (eds) (1999), The Internationalization of the Firm. A Reader, Thompson Publishing.
- Caves, Richard E. (2007). (3rd edn.). Multinational Enterprises and Economic Analysis (Cambridge Surveys of Economic Literature).
Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 052167753X.
- Cleary Patrick J. (2000). The Negotiation Handbook. M.E.Sharpe.
- Crane, Andrew et. al. (2008). The Oxford Handbook of Corporate Social Responsibility. Oxford University Press.
- Crane, A. and Matten, D. 2006. (2nd edn.). Business Ethics: Managing Corporate Citizenship and Sustainability in the Age of Globalization.
Oxford University Press. ISBN: 0199284997.
- De George, R. (1993), Competing with Integrity in International Business, Oxford University Press, New York. ISBN: 0195082257.
- Fisher, Roger and Ury, William. (2nd edn. 2008). Getting to Yes. Penguin. ISBN 978-0140157352.
- Havila,V.,Forsgren, M and Hakanson, H. (eds., 2002). Critical Perspective on Internationalisation, New York: Pergamon.
- Hill, Charles (2008) (7th edn.). International Business. McGraw Hill Higher Education. ISBN: 0071287981.
- Hitt, M.A., Ireland, R.D. & Hoskisson, R.E. (2008), Strategic Management. Competitiveness and Globalization: Concepts and Cases.
South Western Educational Publishing. ISBN: 0324655592.
- Hofstede, Geert. (2002). Exploring Cultures: Exercises, Stories and Synthetic Cultures. Intercultural Press. ISBN 1877864900.
- Hofstede, Geert. 2004. (2nd edn.). Cultures and Organisations : Software for the Mind. McGraw-Hill Professional. ISBN 0071439595.
- Hooley, Graham, Loveridge, R, and Wilson David (eds), Internationalization Process, Context and Markets, Macmillan.
- House, R., Javidan, M., Hanges, P., and Dorfman, P. (2004). Culture, Leadership, and Organizations: The GLOBE Study of 62 Societies. Sage Publications.
- Ietto-Gillies, G. (2005). Transnational Corporation and International Production: concepts, Theories and Effects. Northampton: Edward Elgar.
- Johnson, G. & Scholes, K. (2007), Exploring Corporate Strategy: Text and Cases, Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
- Lange, H., Lohr, A. & Steinmann, H. (eds) (1997), Working Across Cultures: Ethical Perspectives for Intercultural Management (Issues in Business Ethics). Kulwer Academic Publishers.
- McEwan, T. (2001), Managing Values and Beliefs in Organisations, Financial Times/Prentice Hall.
- McFarlin, D.B. & Sweeney, P.D. (2005), International Management: Strategic Opportunities and Cultural Challenges, 3rd edn., Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 0618519831.
- Nolan, P. (2001), China and the Global Business Revolution, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pettigrew, A. et al (eds) (2006), Handbook of Strategy and Management, Sage Publications. ISBN:141292121.
- Pitelis, C. and Sugden, R. (2000), The Nature of the Transnational Firm, Routledge. ISBN: 0415167876.
- Rugman, A.M. & Collinson, S. (2009) (5th Edn), International Business, FT/Prentice Hall.
- Thomas, D.C, (2005), Essentials of International Management and Reading and Cases in International Management.
- Stahl, Gunter K and Ingmar, Bjorkman, (eds.), (2006). Handbook of Research in International Human Resource Management. Edward Elgar.
- Thomas, D.C, (2008), Cross-cultural Management: Essential Concepts. Sage Publications. ISBN: 1412939569.
- Trevino, L.K. (2008), Managing Business Ethics: with Managing Mistakes, John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 0470343397.
- Van Tulder, R. and van der Zwart, A. (2005), International Business - Society Management: Linking corporate responsibility and globalization,
Routledge. ISBN: 0415342406.
- UNCTAD (2010). World Investment Report. (check website for previous years reports as well).
- Yip, G. (2003), Total Global Strategy, Prentice Hall.
- Piccoli G. (2012), Essentials of Information Systems for Managers, Wiley.
- Picolli, G. (2008), Information Systems for Managers, Wiley.
- Pearlson, K.E. and Saunders, C.S. (2006), Managing and Using Information Systems: A Strategic Approach, 3rd edn, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Parkin, P. (2009), Managing Change in Healthcare. London: Sage Publications.
- Walshe K. and Smith, J. (eds.), (2011), Healthcare Management. 2nd ed. Maidenhead: Open University
- Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, (2010), Medical Leadership Competency Framework (MLCF) 3rd Ed. Coventry: NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, University of Warwick.
- Avery, G. (2004), Understanding Leadership. London: Sage Pubs
- Buchanan, D., Fitzgerald, L., Ketley, D., Gollop, R., Jones, J.L., Lamont, S.S., Neath, A. and Whitby, E. (2005), No going back: A review of the literature on sustaining organizational change,
International Journal of Management Reviews, 7, (3), 189-205.
- Dickinson H. and Ham, C. (2008), Engaging Doctors in Leadership: Review of the Literature, Birmingham: University of Birmingham/Academy of Medical Royal Colleges/NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement.
- Edgell, S. (2012), The Sociology of Work, 2nd Ed. London: Sage Publications
- Field, S. (2011), NHS Future Forum: Summary Report on proposed changes to the NHS. London: Future Forum.
- Bruce, R. and Wyman, S. (1998), Changing Organizations: Practicing Action Training and Research. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Dawson, P. (2003), Understanding Organizational Change. London: Sage Publications.
- Department of Health, (2010), Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS, (Cm 7881),London: The Stationery Office.
- Fitzgerald. L., Lilley, C., Ferlie, E., Addicott, R., McGivern, G. and Buchnan, D. (2006), Managing change and role enactment in the professionalized organization, London: NCCSDO.
- Gill, R. (2011), Theory and Practice of Leadership, 2nd Ed. London: Sage Publications.
- Grey, C. (2005), A very short, fairly interesting and reasonably cheap book about studying organizations. London: Sage Publications.
- Gopee, N. and Galloway, J. (2009), Leadership and Management in Healthcare, London: Sage Publishers.
- Iles, V. (2005), Really Managing Health Care (2nd Ed). Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Kings Fund, The. (2011), The Future of Leadership and Management in the NHS: No More Heroes.London: Kings Fund.
- Lewin, K. (1997), Resolving Social Conflicts & Field Theory in Social Science. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Mannion, R., Davies, H. and Marshall, M. (2005), Cultures for performance in health care. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement/Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, (2010), Medical Leadership Competency Framework, 3rd Ed, Coventry: NHSIII
- NICE, (2007), How to Change Practice: understand, identify and overcome barriers to change. London: National Institute for Clinical Excellence
- Orgland, M. (1997), Initiating, Managing and Sustaining Strategic Change - Learning from the Best, Basingstoke: Macmillan Business.
- Paton, R and McCalman, J. (2008), Change management: A Guide to Effective Implementation, 3rd Ed. London: Sage Pubs.
- Pears, R. and Shields, G. (2008), Cite them right: the essential guide to referencing and plagiarism. Newcastle upon Tyne: Pear Tree Books.
Web link 1 & Web link 2
- Dempsey, P.S. and Gesell, L.E. (2006). Airline Management: Strategies for the 21st Century, (2nd Edition), Coast Aire Publications.
- Doganis, R. (1992). The Airport Business, Routledge.
- Doganis, R. (2002). Flying Off Course: The Economics of International Airlines, (3rd Edition), Routledge.
- Holloway, S. (2003). Straight and Level: Practical Airline Economics, (2nd Edition), Ashgate.
- Shaw, S. (2007). Airline Marketing and Management, Ashgate Publishing.
- Yilmaz, A.K. (2008). Airport Enterprise Risk Management Model- A Study on Business Management and Airline Management, V.D.M Verlag.
- O'Connor, W. (2001). An Introduction to Airline Economics, (6th Edition), Praeger Publishers.
- Alan Stolzer, Carl Halford, and John Goglia, (2008),Safety Management Systems in Aviation
- Holloway, S. (2008), Straight and level: practical airline economics, (3rd Edition), Ashgate.
- Wells, A.T. and Young, S. (2011). Airport Planning & Management, McGraw Hill.
- Doganis, R. (1992). The Airport Business, Routledge
- Ashford, N., Stanton H.P., and Moore, C. (1999). Airport Operations, (2nd Edition), McGraw-Hill
- Graham, A. (2008). Managing Airports: An International Perspective, Routledge
- Kazda, A. and Caves, R.E. (2000). Airport Design and Operations, (1st Edition), Pergamon
- Wells, A. (2000). Airport Planning and Management, (4th Edition), McGraw-Hill.
- Yilmaz, A.K. (2008). Airport Enterprise Risk Management Model- A Study on Business Management and Airline Management, V.D.M Verlag.
- Airports Council International. Airport World: The Magazine of the Airports Council International, Insight Media Limited,London
- De Neufvill, R., and Odoni, A (2002). Airport Systems: Planning, Design and Management, McGraw-Hill Professional Engineering Series.
- Collis, J. and Hussey, R. (latest edition) Business Research: A Practical Guide for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
- Alasuutari, P., Brickman L., and Brannen J. (2008) The Sage Handbook of Social Research Methods, London: SAGE
- Bryman, A. and Bell, E. (latest edition) Business Research Methods, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bryman, A. and Burgess, R. G. (eds) (latest edition) Analyzing qualitative data, London: Routledge.
- Cameron, S. (latest edition) The MBA Handbook: Skills for Mastering Management. Harlow: FT/Prentice Hall.
- Dainty, P., and Anderson, M. (latest edition) The MBA Companion, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Easterby-Smith, M., Thorpe, R. and Lowe, A. (latest edition) Management Research: An Introduction, London: SAGE.
- Field, A. (latest edition) Discovering Statistics Using SPSS for Windows, London: Sage.
- Fowler, F., (2009), Survey Research Methods, 4th edition, Sage Publications
- Hardy, M., A. and Bryman, A. (latest edition) Handbook of Data Analysis, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Hart, C. (1999) Doing a Literature Review: Releasing the Social Science Research Imagination, London: SAGE.
- Jankowicz, A. D. (latest edition) Business Research Projects for Students, London: Thomson.
- Meloy, J. (2001) Writing the Qualitative Dissertation: Understanding by Doing, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Association
- Miles, M. B. and Huberman, M. (latest edition) Qualitative data analysis: An expanded Sourcebook, London: SAGE.
- O'Leary Z. (2005) Researching Real-World Problems, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Pallant, J. (latest edition) SPSS Survival Manual, Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Pears, R.A. and Shields, G. (latest edition) Cite them right - The essential referencing guide, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Plantanida, M. and Garman, N. (1999) The Qualitative Dissertation: A Guide for Students and Faculty, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Ridley, D. (2008) The Literature Review, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Riley, M., Wood, R., Clark, M., Wilkie, E. and Szivas, E. (2000), Researching and Writing Dissertations in Business and Management, London: Thomson.
- Salkind, N. J. (latest edition) Statistics for people who (think they) hate statistics, Thousand Oaks, CA:SAGE.
- Sapsford, R. and Jupp, V. (latest edition) Data Collection and Analysis, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. and Thornhill, A. (latest edition) Research Methods for Business Students, Harlow: FT/Prentice Hall.
- White, B. (2002), Writing your MBA Dissertation, Andover: Cengage.
- White B. (2003), Dissertation Skills: For Business and Management Students, Andover: Cengage.
- Yin, R. K. (latest edition) Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Paul Keat, Philip K. Young,Managerial Economics, 6th Edition, by Prentice Hall (ME)
- By Gary Koop An Introduction to Econometrics: Wiley (GK)
- See also: Managerial Economics, Applications, Strategy and Tactics, 12th Edition. McGuigan, Moyer and Harris, Thompson, Southwestern Press.
- Computational Economics
- International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences
- Journal of Economics & Management Strategy
- Managerial and Decision Economics
- Applied Economics
(b) Relevant monographs and selected readings in strategic management