Dr Hongying Meng
Lecturer in Multimedia Communication and Embedded Hardware Systems
Brunel University London
Dr. Hongying Meng joined the Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, School of Engineering & Design, Brunel University London, UK in 2011. Before that, he held research positions in several UK universities including University College London (UCL), University of York and University of Southampton. He received his Ph.D. degree in Communication and Electronic Systems from Xi’an Jiaotong University and was a lecturer in Electronic Engineering Department of Tsinghua University in China.
Dr Meng has a wide research interests including digital signal processing, machine learning, human computer interaction, computer vision, image processing and embedded systems. He is a member of IEEE and a Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (HEA).
Research and Teaching
He is an academic member of the Wireless Networks and Communications Centre (WNCC). His research has involved wide research fields such as machine learning, human computer interaction, computer vision, digital signal processing, image processing and embedded systems.
- Machine Learning: Support Vector Machine (SVM); kernel methods; artificial neural networks; genetic algorithm; feature selection and fusion; Bayesian methods; Hidden Markov Model (HMM); multi-label classification; statistical learning theory; multi-score learning, multiple classifier system, decision fusion, data mining, regression.
- Human Computer Interaction: affective computing; emotional states recognition; facial expression analysis; multi-modality interaction; movement modelling, ubiquitous and pervasive computing, ambient intelligence.
- Computer Vision: biologically inspired vision systems; dynamic motion feature extraction; human action recognition; gesture recognition; object detection; object tracking; visual surveillance; embedded vision systems.
- Digital Signal Processing: wavelet transform; digital filtering; statistical signal processing; medical signal processing (e.g. EMG, ECG); real-time signal processing, biomedical sensors.
- Image Processing: image compression; image acquisition, image object detection; large scale image categorization; image segmentation; real-time image processing.
- Embedded Systems: FPGA; microcontroller; DSP; smart phones; tablet; game consoles.
- Brunel Research Initiative & Enterprise Fund - Automatic Emotional State Detection and Analysis on Embedded Devices, PI, Project value £15,000. 2012 ~ 2013.
- UK Royal Academy of Engineering – “Real-time affective state monitoring via naturalistic facial expression on embedded systems”, Major Award of “Research Exchange with China and India” scheme, PI, project value £5997, 1st June 2012 - 30th September 2013. (With Professor Yangdong Deng, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.)
- Digital Systems and Microprocessors
- Computer Architecture and Interfacing
- Embedded System Engineering
- Receipt of "Best Entry for the Affect Recognition Sub-Challenge", Third International Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge (AVEC2013) at international conference ACM Multimedia 2013, Barcelona, Spain, 2013.
- Receipt of audio sub-challenge prize (winner), First International Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge (AVEC2011) at international conference ACII2011, Memphis, USA, 2011.
- Receipt of third place in The PASCAL Visual Object Classes Challenge, Southampton, UK, 2005.
- Receipt of the Tsinghua-Kodak prize, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1999.
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (UK)
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- IEEE Signal Processing Society
- IEEE Communications Society
- IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence
- IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Multimedia Computing
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Technical Committee on Computational Intelligence
- HUMAINE Association(http://emotion-research.net)
- Honorary Research Associate, UCL, 2011-2016
Reviewer for International Journals
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (Part B)
- IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development
- IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems
- Computer Vision and Image Understanding (Elsevier)
- Pattern Recognition (Elsevier)
- Journal of Electronic Imaging (SPIE)
- Journal of Real-Time Image Processing (Springer)
- Neural Computing (MIT Press)
- Pattern Recognition Letters (Elsevier)
- Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (Elsevier)
- EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing (Springer)
- Sensors (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/sensors/)
- Energies (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/energies/)
- International Journal of Computational Vision and Robotics (Inderscience)
- Computing and Informatics (http://www.cai.sk/ojs/index.php/cai)
- Electronics Letters (IET)
PC for International Conferences
- IEEE Workshop on Embedded Computer Vision (2008,2009,2010,2011,2013)
- IEEE FG2013 workshop of 3D face biometrics (2013)
- International Conference on Innovation in Medicine and Healthcare (2013)
- International Conference on Natural Computation (2010,2011,2012,2013)
- Advances in Computer Entertainment Conference (2012,2013)
(2014) Intzes, I., Meng, H. and Cosmas, J., Technology of swallowable capsule for medical applications, International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology 14 (4) : 277- 296
(2014) Meng, H. and Bianchi-Berthouze, N., Affective state level recognition in naturalistic facial and vocal expressions, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics 44 (3) : 315- 328 Download publication
(2012) Gao, Y., Bianchi-Berthouze, N. and Meng, H., What does touch tell us about emotions in touchscreen-based gameplay?, ACM Transactions on Computer - Human Interaction 19 (4) : 31 Download publication
(2012) Appiah, K., Hunter, A., Dickinson, P. and Meng, H., Implementation and applications of tri-state self organising maps on FPGA, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 22 (8) : 1150- 1160 Download publication
(2010) Meng, H., Appiah, K., Yue, S., Hunter, A., Hobden, M., Priestley, N., Hobden, P. and Pettit, C., A modified model for the Lobula Giant Movement Detector and its FPGA implementation, Computer Vision and Image Understanding 114 (11) : 1238- 1247 Download publication
(2010) Appiah, K., Hunter, A., Dickinson, P. and Meng, H., Accelerated hardware video object segmentation: From foreground detection to connected components labelling, Computer Vision and Image Understanding 114 (11) : 1282- 1291 Download publication
(2009) Meng, H. and Pears, N., Descriptive temporal template features for visual motion recognition, Pattern Recognition Letters 30 (12) : 1049- 1058 Download publication
(2008) Meng, H., Freeman, M., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., Real-time human action recognition on an embedded, reconfigurable video processing architecture, Journal of Real-Time Image Processing 3 (3) : 163- 176 Download publication
(2007) Liu, L., Zhang, M., Meng, H., Zhang, L. and Wang, Z., A VLSI implementation of lifting-based forward and inverse wavelet transform, Chinese Journal of Electronics 16 (3) : 423- 428
(2006) Abel, E., Meng, H., Forster, A. and Holder, D., Singularity characteristics of needle EMG IP signals, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 53 (2) : 219- 225 Download publication
(2005) Liu, L., Chen, N., Zhang, C., Meng, H., Zhang, L., Wang, Z. and Chen, H., An ASIC implementation of JPEG2000 encoder, Chinese Journal of Electronics 14 (4) : 603- 608
(2004) Liu, L., Chen, N., Meng, H., Zhang, L., Wang, Z. and Chen, H., A VLSI architecture of JPEG2000 encoder, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits 39 (11) : 2032- 2040 Download publication
(2000) Meng, H. and Wang, Z., Fast spatial combinative lifting algorithm of wavelet transform using the 9/7 filter for image block compression, Electronics Letters 36 (21) : 1766- 1767 Download publication
(2013) Meng, H., Huang, D., Wang, H., Yang, H., Al-Shuraifi, M. and Wang, Y., Depression Recognition based on Dynamic Facial and Vocal Expression Features using Partial Least Square Regression, ACM multimedia 2013 workshop AVEC’13, Proceedings of the 3rd ACM international workshop on Audio/visual emotion challenge 21- 30 Download publication
(2013) Cheng, J., Deng, Y., Meng, H. and Wang, Z., A Facial Expression Based Continuous Emotional State Monitoring System with GPU Acceleration, IEEE FG2013 Workshop (EmoSPACE 2013), Proceedings of FG2013
(2012) Cella, M., Aung, M., Meng, H., Berthouze, N., Romera-Paredes, B., Singh, A., Shafizadehkenari, M., Williams, A., Watson, P., Kemp, A., Brooks, S., Kaltwang, S. and Valstar, M., Identifying Pain Behaviour for Automatic Recognition, International Association for the Study of Pain, Proceedings of 14th World Congress on Pain
(2011) Meng, H., Appiah, K., Hunter, A. and Dickinson, P., FPGA Implementation of Naive Bayes Classifier for Visual Object Recognition, , Proceedings of IEEE Int’l Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR-W’11), The Seventh IEEE Embedded Computer Vision Workshop 123- 128
(2004) Meng, H., Shawe-Taylor, J., Szedmák, S. and Farquhar, J., Support Vector Machine to Synthesise Kernels, Deterministic and Statistical Methods in Machine Learning, LNCS (3635) : 242- 255
(2011) Shafizadeh, M., Meng, H. and Bianchi-Berthouze, N., Development of a quantitative disability assessment method for people with multiple sclerosis, , Proceedings of ECTRIMS/ACTRIMS 2011
(2011) Meng, H., Romera-Paredes, B. and Bianchi-Berthouze, N., Emotion Recognition by Two View SVM_2K Classifier on Dynamic Facial Expression Features, , Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition and Workshops (FG 2011) 854- 859
(2011) Meng, H., Kleinsmith, A. and Bianchi-Berthouze, N., Multi-score Learning for Affect Recognition: the Case of Body Postures, ACII 2011, LNCS (6974) : 225- 234
(2011) Meng, H. and Bianchi-Berthouze, N., Naturalistic Affective Expression Classification by a Multi-Stage Approach Based on Hidden Markov Models, 1st International Audio/Visual Emotion Challenge and Workshop (AVEC 2011), LNCS (6975) : 378- 387
(2010) Appiah, K., Meng, H., Hunter, A. and Dickinson, P., Binary histogram based split/merge object detection using FPGAs, , Proceedings of IEEE Int’l Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR-W’10), The Sixth IEEE Embedded Computer Vision Workshop 45- 52
(2010) Appiah, K., Hunter, A., Dickinson, P. and Meng, H., Binary Object Recognition System on FPGA with bSOM, , Proceedings of IEEE System on Chip Conference (SOCC 2010) 254- 259
(2009) Appiah, K., Hunter, A., Meng, H., Yue, S., Hobden, M., Priestley, N., Hobden, P. and Pettit, C., A binary Self-Organizing Map and its FPGA implementation, , Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks(IJCNN) 164- 171
(2009) Meng, H., Yue, S., Hunter, A., Appiah, K., Hobden, M., Priestley, N., Hobden, P. and Pettit, C., A modified neural network model for Lobula Giant Movement Detector with additional depth movement feature, , Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks(IJCNN) 2078- 2083
(2009) Meng, H., Appiah, K., Hunter, A., Yue, S., Hobden, M., Priestley, N., Hobden, P. and Pettit, C., A modified sparse distributed memory model for extracting clean patterns from noisy inputs, , Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks(IJCNN) 2084- 2089
(2007) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., A Human Action Recognition System for Embedded Computer Vision Application, , Proceedings of CVPR (The third IEEE Embedded Computer Vision Workshop) 1- 6
(2007) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., An FPGA-based system for development of real-time embedded vision applications, , Proceedings of HiPEAC Workshop on Reconfigurable Computing 33- 40
(2007) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., Motion information combination for fast human action recognition, , Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAPP07) 21- 28
(2006) Liu, L., Meng, H. and Zhang, M., An ASIC Implementation of Lifting-Based 2-D Discrete Wavelet Transform, , Proceedings of IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems 271- 274
(2006) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., Human Action Classification Using SVM_2K Classifier on Motion Features, , Multimedia Content Representation, Classification and Security,LNCS (4105) : 458- 465
(2006) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., Recognition human actions based on motion information and SVM, , Proceeding of the 2nd IET International Conference on Intelligent Environments 239- 245
(2005) Liu, L., Meng, H., Zhang, L. and Wang, Z., An ASIC implementation of JPEG2000 codec, , Proceedings of the IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference 691- 694
(2005) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., FPGA based video processing system for ubiquitous applications, , Perspectives in Pervasive Computing 57- 63
(2005) Meng, H., Hardoon, DR., Shawe-Taylor, J. and Szedmák, S., Generic object recognition by combining distinct features in machine learning, , Proceedings of the Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) (5673) : 90- 98
(2005) Farquhar, J., Hardoon, DR., Meng, H., Shawe-Taylor, J. and Szedmák, S., Two view learning: SVM-2K, theory and practice, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS)
(2003) Liu, L., Chen, N., Meng, H., Zhang, L., Wang, Z. and Chen, H., A VLSI chip of SCLA based 2-D DWT/IDWT, , Proceedings of 5th International Conference on ASIC 898- 901
(2002) Liu, L., Wang, X., Meng, H., Zhang, L., Wang, Z. and Chen, H., A VLSI architecture of spatial combinative lifting algorithm based 2-D DWT/IDWT, , Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, APCCAS '02. 299- 304
(2009) Meng, H., Pears, N. and Bailey, C., Motion Feature Combination for Human Action Recognition in Video. In: Ranchordas, AK. ed. Computer Vision and Computer Graphics - Theory and Applications. Springer-Verlag New York Inc 151- 163
(2009) Meng, H., Pears, N., Freeman, M. and Bailey, C., Motion history histograms for human action recognition. In: Kisačanin, B., Bhattacharya, SS. and Chai, S. eds. Embedded Computer Vision. Springer-Verlag New York Inc 139- 162
(2006) Everingham, M., Zisserman, A., Williams, C., Van, GL., Allan, M., Bishop, C., Chapelle, O., Dalal, N., Deselaers, T., Dorkó, G., Duffner, S., Eichhorn, J., Farquhar, J., Fritz, M., Garcia, C., Griffiths, T., Jurie, F., Keysers, D., Koskela, M., Laaksonen, J., Larlus, D., Leibe, B., Meng, H., Ney, H., Schiele, B., Schmid, C., Seemann, E., Shawe-Taylor, J., Storkey, A., Szedmák, S., Triggs, B., Ulusoy, I., Viitaniemi, V. and Zhang, J., The 2005 PASCAL Visual Object Classes Challenge. In: Quiñonero-Candela, J. ed. Machine Learning Challenges. Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence.. Springer-Verlag New York Inc (3944) : 117- 176