Prof Savvas Tassou
Director of the Institute of Energy Futures / Professor / Theme Leader for Energy Efficient and Sustainable Technologies
Brunel University London
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- BSc (1st Class Honours) Mechanical Engineering - University of Westminster
- PhD Department of Mechanical Engineering - University of Westminster, 1982. Thesis titled `An Investigation of the Criteria to Give Optimum Performance from a Variable Capacity Heat Pump'.
- MBA Master of Business Administration - University of Westminster, 1987.
- CEng Chartered Engineer, 1983.
- MIMechE Corporate member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1983.
- MASHRAE Member of the American Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, 1989.
- MIIR – Member of International Institute of Refrigeration
- MIOR -
- 1978 - 1981 Research Assistant - University of Westminster.
- 1981 - 1986 Lecturer in thermofluids and energy - University of Westminster.
- 1986 to date - Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader/Professor in Thermodynamics and Building Services Engineering - Brunel University London.
- 2001 - 2004 Head of Department of Mechanical Engineering
- 2004 to date. Head of School of Engineering and Design
Research and Teaching
- Environmental control systems for buildings – both active and passive technologies (Refrigeration, air conditioning, heat pump systems, heat recovery, systems driven by renewable sources).
- Development and application of modelling techniques and control strategies for the thermal design, performance prediction and control of refrigeration and HVAC equipment.
- Food refrigeration including supermarket refrigeration and environmental control systems and unitary equipment.
- Energy systems including tri-generation and renewable energy technologies.
- Heat transfer and heat exchangers.
- Wastewater filtration.
- Heat and Mass Transfer in CO2 refrigeration Systems, A&N Shilliday & Company Ltd, and the EPSRC. Doctor of Engineering Programme, EngD (2007-2012) £125000.
- Sandpit-Integration of active and passive indoor thermal environment control systems to minimise the carbon footprint of airport buildings. Funded by the EPSRC EP/H004181/1 (Oct 2009-Sept. 2012). £746,200. Brunel Lead Partner with Loughborough,, De Montfort, City, and the University of Kent.
- Optimising Thermal Energy Recovery, Utilisation and Management in the Process Industries – OPTITHERM. Funded by the EPSRC, EP/GO59799/1, (Oct. 2009-Sept.2012), EPSRC funding £511,628. Brunel (lead), with Newcastle University and Northumbria University.
- Integrated thermal energy storage in food refrigeration equipment for energy and CO2 emissions reduction, Funded by Defra: Total cost of project £823376, Funding from Defra £395776, April 2010-September 2013.
- Development and implementation of energy efficient technologies and business practices for the refrigeration of food-Consortium project funded by DEFRA (June 2006 – May 2009). Total value of project £1,052,833. Value to Brunel £250,516. (July 2006 – June 2009)
- Integration of tri-generation and CO2 based refrigeration systems for energy conservation in the food industry. Funded by DEFRA and 15 Industrial partners (April 2007 – October 2010). Total value of project £682,350. Value to Brunel £337,600.
- Greenhouse Gas Impacts of Food Retailing – Investigation of the application of the PAS 2050 methodology to food distribution and retail, Funded by DEFRA, (December 2007-June 2009) £72,000.
- Investigation of the Application of the PAS 2050 methodology to assess the GHG emissions from service industries. Funded by DEFRA, (July 2008-June 2009), £20,000.
- Thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Air conditioning and refrigeration
- Building services design
- Energy Systems
(2013) Wu, H., Tassou, SA., Karayiannis, TG. and Jouhara, H., Analysis and simulation of continuous food frying processes, Applied Thermal Engineering 53 (2) : 332- 339
(2012) Kythreotou, N., Florides, G. and Tassou, SA., A proposed methodology for the calculation of direct consumption of fossil fuels and electricity for livestock breeding, and its application to Cyprus, Energy
(2012) Panayiotou, G., Kalogirou, S. and Tassou, S., Design and simulation of a PV and a PV-Wind standalone energy system to power a household application, Renewable Energy 37 (1) : 355- 363
(2012) Lu, W. and Tassou, SA., Experimental study of the thermal characteristics of phase change slurries for active cooling, Applied Energy 91 (1) : 366- 374
(2012) Gowreesunker, BL., Tassou, SA. and Kolokotroni, M., Improved simulation of phase change processes in applications where conduction is the dominant heat transfer mode, Energy and Buildings 47 353- 359 Download publication
(2012) Suamir, IN., Tassou, SA. and Marriott, D., Integration of CO2 refrigeration and trigeneration systems for energy and GHG emission savings in supermarkets, International Journal of Refrigeration 35 (2) : 407- 417
(2011) Tassou, SA., Ge, Y., Hadawey, A. and Marriott, D., Energy consumption and conservation in food retailing, Applied Thermal Engineering 31 (2-3) : 147- 156
(2011) Pouloupatis, PD., Florides, G. and Tassou, S., Measurements of ground temperatures in Cyprus for ground thermal applications, Renewable Energy 36 (2) : 804- 814
(2010) Tassou, SA., Lewis, JS., Ge, YT., Hadawey, A. and Chaer, I., A review of emerging technologies for food refrigeration applications, Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (4) : 263- 276
(2009) Shilliday, JA., Tassou, SA. and Shilliday, N., Comparative energy and exergy analysis of R744, R404A and R290 refrigeration cycles, International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies 4 (2) : 104- 111
(2009) Ge, YT. and Tassou, SA., Control optimisation of CO2 cycles for medium temperature retail food refrigeration systems, International Journal of Refrigeration 32 (6) : 1376- 1388 Download publication
(2009) Zhao, CY., Lu, W. and Tassou, SA., Flow boiling heat transfer in horizontal metal-foam tubes, Journal of Heat Transfer 131 (12) : -
(2009) Tassou, SA., De-Lille, G. and Ge, YT., Food transport refrigeration – approaches to reduce energy consumption and environmental impacts of road transport, Applied Thermal Engineering 29 (8-9) : 1467- 1477
(2009) Ge, YT., Tassou, SA. and Chaer, I., Modelling and performance evaluation of a low-temperature ammonia–water absorption refrigeration system, International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies 4 (2) : 68- 77
(2008) Zhao, CY., Tassou, SA. and Lu, TJ., Analytical considerations of thermal radiation in cellular metal foams with open cells, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 51 (3-4) : 929- 940
(2008) Sugiartha, N., Chaer, I., Marriott, D. and Tassou, SA., Combined heating refrigeration and power system in food industry, Journal of the Energy Institute 81 (4) : 185- 190
(2007) Tassou, SA., Chaer, I., Sugiartha, N., Ge, YT. and Marriott, D., Application of trigeneration systems to the food retail industry, Energy Conversion and Management 48 (11) : 2988- 2995
(2005) Rueda, E., Tassou, SA. and Grace, IN., Fault detection and diagnosis in liquid chillers, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering 219 (2) : 117- 125
(2005) Tassou, SA. and Grace, IN., Fault diagnosis and refrigerant leak detection in vapour compression refrigeration systems, International Journal of Refrigeration 28 (5) : 680- 688
(2003) Florides, GA., Kalogirou, SA., Tassou, SA. and Wrobel, LC., Design and construction of a LiBr-water absorption machine, Energy Conversion and Management 44 (15) : 2483- 2508
(2003) Tassou, SA. and Xiang, W., Interactions between the environment and open refrigerated display cabinets in retail food stores - Design approaches to reduce shopper discomfort, ASHRAE Transactions 109 PART 1 299- 303
(2002) Kalogirou, SA., Florides, G. and Tassou, S., Energy analysis of buildings employing thermal mass in Cyprus, Renewable Energy 27 (3) : 353- 368
(2002) Bellas, J., Chaer, I. and Tassou, SA., Heat transfer and pressure drop of ice slurries in plate heat exchangers, Applied Thermal Engineering 22 (7) : 721- 732
(2002) Florides, GA., Tassou, SA., Kalogirou, SA. and Wrobel, LC., Measures used to lower building energy consumption and their cost effectiveness, Applied Energy 73 (3-4) : 299- 328
(2002) Florides, GA., Kalogirou, SA., Tassou, SA. and Wrobel, LC., Modelling and simulation of an absorption solar cooling system for Cyprus, Solar Energy 72 (1) : 43- 51
(2002) Florides, GA., Tassou, SA., Kalogirou, SA. and Wrobel, LC., Modelling, simulation and warming impact assessment of a domestic-size absorption solar cooling system, Applied Thermal Engineering 22 (12) : 1313- 1325
(2001) Florides, GA., Tassou, SA., Kalogirou, SA. and Wrobel, LC., Evolution of domestic dwellings in Cyprus and energy analysis, Renewable Energy 23 (2) : 219- 234
(2001) Tassou, SA., Datta, D. and Marriott, D., Frost formation and defrost control parameters for open multideck refrigerated food display cabinets, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 215 (2) : 213- 222
(2001) Florides, GA., Kalogirou, SA., Tassou, SA. and Wrobel, L., Natural environment and thermal behaviour of Dimetrodon limbatus, Journal of Thermal Biology 26 (1) : 15- 20
(2000) Efstathiades, A., Tassou, SA., Oxinos, G. and Antoniou, A., Advanced manufacturing technology transfer and implementation in developing countries. The case of the Cypriot manufacturing industry, Technovation 20 (2) : 93- 102
(2000) Ge, YT. and Tassou, SA., Mathematical modelling of supermarket refrigeration systems for design, energy prediction and control, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 214 (2) : 101- 114
(2000) Florides, GA., Kalogirou, SA., Tassou, SA. and Wrobel, LC., Modeling of the modern houses of Cyprus and energy consumption analysis, Energy 25 (10) : 915- 937
(1999) Florides, GA., Wrobel, LC., Kalogirou, SA. and Tassou, SA., A thermal model for reptiles and pelycosaurs, Journal of Thermal Biology 24 (1) : 1- 13
(1998) Datta, D. and Tassou, SA., Artificial neural network based electrical load prediction for food retail stores, Applied Thermal Engineering 18 (11) : 1121- 1128
(1998) Tassou, SA. and Qureshi, TQ., Comparative performance evaluation of positive displacement compressors in variable-speed refrigeration applications, International Journal of Refrigeration 21 (1) : 29- 41
(1998) Hamlin, S., Hunt, R. and Tassou, SA., Enhancing the performance of evaporative spray cooling in air cycle refrigeration and air conditioning technology, Applied Thermal Engineering 18 (11) : 1139- 1148
(1998) Tassou, SA. and Xiang, W., Modelling the environment within a wet air-cooled vegetable store, Journal of Food Engineering 38 (2) : 169- 187
(1997) Tassou, SA. and Qureshi, TQ., Dynamic mode performance evaluation and energy analysis of mains and inverter driven refrigeration compressors, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 211 (4) : 339- 346
(1993) Tassou, SA. and Al-Nizari, HO., Effect of refrigerant flow control on the thermodynamic performances of reciprocating chillers, Applied Energy 45 (2) : 101- 116
(1993) Tassou, SA. and Al-Nizari, HO., Investigation of the effects of thermostatic and electronic expansion valves on the steady-state and transient performance of commercial chillers, International Journal of Refrigeration 16 (1) : 49- 56
(1992) Votsis, PP., Tassou, SA., Wilson, DR. and Marquand, CJ., Dynamic characteristics of an air-to-water heat-pump system, International Journal of Refrigeration 15 (2) : 89- 94
(1992) Tassou, SA. and Leung, YK., Energy conservation in commercial air conditioning through ice storage and cold air distribution design, Heat Recovery Systems and CHP 12 (5) : 419- 425
(1991) Tassou, SA. and Al-Nizari, H., Investigation of the steady state and transient performance of a reciprocating chiller equipped with an electronic expansion valve, Heat Recovery Systems and CHP 11 (6) : 541- 550
(1989) Tassou, SA., Combined heat and power generation at a sewage treatment plant-a feasibility study, Heat Recovery Systems and CHP 9 (2) : 169- 174
(1988) Tassou, SA., Energy conservation and resource utilisation in waste-water treatment plants, Applied Energy 30 (2) : 113- 129
(1988) Tassou, SA., Heat recovery from sewage effluent using heat pumps, Heat Recovery Systems and CHP 8 (2) : 141- 148
(1987) Tassou, SA. and Marquand, CJ., Effects of evaporator frosting and defrosting on the performance of air-to-water heat pumps, Applied Energy 28 (1) : 19- 33
(2010) Wu, H., Jouhara, H., Tassou, SA. and Karayiannis, TG., Analysis of energy use in crisp frying processes, 4th International Conference on Sustainable Energy & Environmental Protection, SEEP2010 Conference 100- 107 Download publication
(2009) Suamir, IN., Tassou, SA., Hadawey, A., Chaer, I. and Marriott, D., Investigation of the performance characteristics of an ammonia-water absorption chiller in a trigeneration system arrangement, Heat Powered Cycles Conference
(2006) Tassou, SA., Chaer, I., Sugiartha, N. and Marriott, D., Application of trigeneration systems to the food retail industry, , ECOS 2006: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems, Vols 1-3 1185- 1192
(2001) Xiang, W., Tassou, SA. and Kolokotroni, M., Heating of church buildings of historic importance with direct gas-fired heating systems, , ASHRAE Winter Meeting CD, Technical and Symposium Papers 505- 512
(1998) Tassou, SA. and Lau, KM., Low energy cooling technologies - a review. In: Tassou, SA. ed. Low-Energy Cooling Technologies for Buildings: Challenges and Opportunities for the Environmental Control of Buildings. (1998) : 1- 22