Dean of College: Professor Stefaan Simons BSc (Hons), PhD, CEng FIChemE
Professor Simons joined Brunel from UCL where he was the Vice-Dean (International) in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences, Director of the Centre for CO2 Technology, and Professor of Chemical Engineering. Graduating with a first in Chemical and Process Engineering from the University of Surrey, Professor Simons worked in industry before beginning his academic career in 1988, completing his PhD at UMIST before starting at UCL as a lecturer in 1993. Since then he has established an impressive academic career, undertaking a wide range of roles within UCL, including several key leadership roles both at home and abroad.
Professor Simons is an established leader in the areas of research, teaching and knowledge transfer with extensive experience of establishing and developing new research and teaching units around the world. Most recently he was involved in setting up the International Energy Policy Institute in Australia as its Inaugural Director, as well as acting as Director of Research for UCL Australia. Since 2013 projects he has been involved in have been awarded over $1.5 million AUD in research funding. Prior to this he was seconded to Nazarbayev University in Kazakhstan, where, as founding Dean of Engineering, he oversaw the establishment of the entire engineering programme (including developing the curriculum and recruiting over 70 staff).
With a reputation for innovation in education, Professor Simons is a keen believer in the value of practical problem solving as a key element within engineering degrees. He received funding from HEFCE to develop a programme to embed these skills in degree courses, leading a consortium which included the universities of Birmingham, Surrey and Newcastle. Professor Simons further expanded upon these themes with programmes at Nazarbayev and UCL, and looks forward to implementing similar ideas within the College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences at Brunel.
An expert in the field of Chemical Engineering, Professor Simons has a particular interest in Energy and Climate Change, a key research area within Brunel. His research is very industry focused and deals with providing innovative solutions to modern problems. He is well versed in multidisciplinary research and building relationships with key industry partners, as well as in establishing spin out companies.
- Vice-Dean Education: Prof Tassos Karayiannis
- Vice-Dean International: Dr Bin Wang
- Vice-Dean Research: Professor Hua Zhao
- Associate Dean Equality and Diversity: Dr Joanne Cole
- Associate Dean Quality Assurance: Dr Jane Lawrie
- Associate Dean Student Welfare: Dr Philip Collins
- Director of College Operations: Paul Worthington
- Head of Department of Computer Science: Dr Tracy Hall
- Head of Department of Design: Dr Ian de Vere
- Head of Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering: Prof Peter Hobson
- Head of Department of Mathematics: Dr Matthias Maischak
- Head of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering: Prof Hamid Bahai