Entry Requirements

Research Degrees

Applicants with a UK first or second class honours degree or a Master's degree (or a recognised equivalent from an overseas university) may be registered for a PhD. An appropriate level of English language competence is also expected. An applicant with certain alternative qualifications may be registered for the degree of PhD "subject to confirmation". Candidates not meeting the normal entrance requirements above may be considered for registration for the degree of MPhil. It is quite common for students to be registered initially for an MPhil and to then have their status as a PhD student confirmed after successful completion of the first year.

The Senate reserves the right to assess the eligibility of applicants on an individual basis.

Taught Postgraduate Courses

Candidates with a first degree of a UK university (or recognised equivalent UK or overseas qualification) may be admitted to a programme of advanced study. Candidates with other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis. An appropriate level of English language competence is also expected. The qualifications accepted by the University are continuously under review. For this reason, it is not possible to publish a detailed list, but some guidelines are given under each course entry.

Application forms for PGCE courses are available from the UCAS Teacher Training Registry, Rosehill, New Barn Lane, Cheltenham, Glos, GL52 3LZ (enclose an A5 stamped addressed envelope). Applications for the MA in Social Work should be made to UCAS.

Associate Student Scheme

If you want to test the water of postgraduate study before jumping in, or simply want to follow up an interest without committing yourself to a master's degree, the Associate Student Scheme could be for you. You can choose from over 100 modules on offer each year, and study alongside full- and part-time students. If you decide to register formally for a master's degree or intermediate award at a later date, you can take with you whatever credits you have accumulated. You can obtain further details and an application form from the Admissions Office in the Registry.

Page last updated: Tuesday 14 January 2014