Brunel has a strong tradition of placements forming an integral part of its undergraduate sandwich courses. The combination of academic study with periods of practical work experience provides students with an opportunity to develop both academic and work-related skills.
The record of national employability figures reflects how relevant and appropriate this training has been in preparing Brunel students for the workplace. Our graduates have been rated in the top five universities in the country each year for the last five years.
Employers reap benefits from the scheme in the following ways:
- access to an intelligent, motivated and cost-effective labour resource with valuable skills, knowledge and fresh ideas;
- an opportunity to have useful project or research work undertaken;
- spin-off stimulus to existing staff;
- an opportunity to make early contact with future graduates;
- a recruitment opportunity;
- an opportunity to forge partnership links with the University.
Students are usually available for work placement from the beginning of June or starting in the summer. Most placements vary from 6 to 12 months duration, dependent upon level and subject area.
Recent graduates have gone on to work for prestigious companies including the BBC, Virgin Airways, Opodo, Philips, Siemens and a variety of design companies.