Outgoing Students

You can add another dimension to a challenging university experience by spending a part of your degree in another country. The non-Erasmus+ exchange programme enables students from Brunel to spend a year or a single term at one of our partner institutions outside the EU. The academic work you complete at our partner institution will be credited towards your Brunel degree if we have an exchange agreement in your subject area.  

If your Department has an exchange agreement with an overseas institution, then they will normally hold an information session in January (for Level 1 students) and then you will need to submit an internal application in February. Ideally you should be nominated by mid-March, so that you do not miss out on the partner institution’s application deadline which can be as early as the end of March. 

If you would like to participate in an exchange programme, please talk to your Personal Tutor and your Department’s Academic Exchange Coordinator in the first instance to discuss how going on an exchange would fit into your degree programme. For further information, contact the Institutional Exchange Coordinator.

Non-Erasmus+ Exchange Student Handbook


Current Brunel full time undergraduate or postgraduate students are eligible to apply.

Undergraduate students who wish to apply for the exchange programme must have entered Brunel with at least three grade B (or 300 tariff points) at A2-level or an equivalent qualification (i.e. BTEC, Access Course or international qualification).

All applicants will need to demonstrate to their Academic Exchange Coordinator that a suitable course of study is available at the host institution, which will integrate into their current studies to provide an overall programme of study that is academically acceptable for the award of a Brunel degree. All successful applications must be approved by the applicant's Department.

All offers of admission to the exchange programme will be conditional upon students successfully completing their end of year Brunel examinations. Undergraduate students must have achieved a minimum aggregate mark of 60% at the end of their 1st or 2nd year while postgraduate students must have achieved a 2.1 in their undergraduate degree. Students who fail to meet this offer will have their participation reviewed by their academic department at Brunel and the host institution. Either party may withdraw a student from the programme.

Selection Process

Students will be selected by their Department on the basis of academic ability plus a personal statement outlining their motivation. In order to be considered, students must submit the following to the Academic Exchange Coordinator by applicable deadline:

  1. Transcript of records or a list of provisional marks received for modules to date.
  2. Personal statement outlining the applicant's academic and career reasons for wishing to take  part in the exchange, their objectives for the exchange, and their ability to benefit from its opportunities.
  3. CV showing study, employment and extracurricular activities.

Strong candidates will be interviewed. Final selection will be based on evidence of maturity, stability, adaptability, self-discipline and strong academic motivation. For study at a host university where the language of instruction will not be English, candidates should demonstrate A-Level of proficiency, a minimum of level B2, in the host language.


After you have been nominated by your Department, you may begin the application process to your host university. You will receive information about how to apply directly from your host university. The application deadline will vary so please check with your host university. We advise you to visit the host website for further information (i.e. accommodation, list of courses, etc.)

Part of the application process involves completing and submitting the following documents to Brunel:

You must meet with your Academic Exchange Coordinator to complete all three documents. Once they are signed and approved by the Academic Exchange Coordinator, please submit the documents to the Academic Partnerships Office (Bannerman Centre 217) by 31st May.

Fees & Finance

Tuition Fees

During your exchange period abroad, you will continue to pay tuition fees to Brunel. The exchange agreements between Brunel University London and its partner universities mean that students are not required to pay tuition fees to the host university. The tuition fees for Home/EU undergraduate students undertaking exchange (either part or full year abroad) will be in line with the sandwich placement fee (1/9 of the Home/EU full-time fee).


Undertaking exchange period abroad in 2016/17

Home/EU undergraduate students 


Overseas students and postgraduate students

Relevant full tuition fees

Living Costs

All living costs such as travel, accommodation, living expenses, health insurance, host university campus charges, etc. must be met by the student. All costs associated with the programme are the responsibility of the student.

Funding Arrangements

Student support can vary and it is difficult to account for individual students’ circumstances. Students should confirm their personal funding eligibility with Student Finance England prior to committing to an exchange year/term abroad. For information about the fees and funding arrangements, please contact the Student Centre.

Please note that the host university will not provide the required documentation for obtaining your visa unless you can demonstrate that you have access to the recommended amount of funds (personal savings, family support, Student Finance etc.). Therefore, if you receive Student Finance, you should apply as early as possible so that you have evidence of this in good time for your visa application.

Santander Mobility Scholarships

The Santander Mobility Awards offer a number of £500 scholarships for students going out on study exchange. Please read the Terms & Conditions for details. 

Application deadline: 31st March 2016 

BUTEX Scholarships

BUTEX, the British Universities Transatlantic Exchange Association, offers scholarships each year for undergraduate students who have been offered a place as an exchange student at a US or Canadian partner university. To find out more please visit http://www.butex.ac.uk/.

Travel Grant

If you are studying abroad you can apply for an income assessed travel grant from Student Finance England for reasonable travel costs incurred attending an overseas institution as part of the course (this means buying the most cost effective tickets for the most economical form of transport). Please visit the Student Finance England website for details. 



Institutional Exchange Coordinator – angela.koh@brunel.ac.uk

Academic Exchange Coordinators –

Business wafi.al-karaghouli@brunel.ac.uk   
Communications   Meredith.jones@brunel.ac.uk  
Design fabrizio.ceschin@brunel.ac.uk
Engineering mark.atherton@brunel.ac.uk
History filippo.dellucchese@brunel.ac.uk
Mechanical Engineering stuart.gabrielson@brunel.ac.uk
Politics filippo.dellucchese@brunel.ac.uk
Sociology Meredith.jones@brunel.ac.uk  
Sport Sciences laura.hills@brunel.ac.uk

Foreign Language Courses – Richard.bale@brunel.ac.uk

Student Centre – student.centre@brunel.ac.uk

Page last updated: Friday 18 November 2016