Am I eligible?
Brunel University London is authorised to process US Direct Loans for students who meet the following criteria:
- You are a US citizen, an eligible non-citizen of the US or a permanent resident of the US, and you have a valid US Social Security Number;
- If you are male aged 18 to 25 inclusive, that you have registered with Selective Service;
- You are within the borrowing limits for Direct Loans.
You must also:
- be enrolled and continue to be enrolled at least half-time at Brunel University London;
- be studying on an eligible course;
- maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) during your course; and
- undertake your study or research within the UK.
Please note that you might lose federal student aid eligibility in a number of ways. Some of the most common are:
- default on a federal student loan;
- not maintaining satisfactory academic progress in college or career school;
- being convicted of a drug offence.
For more details on the eligibility criteria please see:
Inforgraphic: Eligibility for federal student aid
Is your programme eligible?
Most degree programmes at Brunel are eligible for Direct Loans, however some are not.
Please note that the following students will NOT be entitled to borrow US Direct loans:
- students whose programme includes study or research for any length of time in the United States;
- students on a study abroad programme/ Erasmus exchange programme at an institution which is not certified to receive US Federal Direct funds. If you are planning to have a study period abroad and want to borrow a US Direct loan, please contact the Student Centre’s funding team to ensure that you select an eligible overseas institution;
- students who are registered on a Distance Learning programme;
- students who are on a degree course with an integrated full year placement (Thick Sandwich) will not be eligible for student aid during the whole of their course.