English Language Requirements

All courses at Brunel have an English language requirement. This is listed on the relevant course page under 'entry criteria'. All international students must show evidence that they meet the English requirement for their course of study. This applies even if English is the native language of your home country. If this is the case, a pass at high school level which is equivalent to GCSE Grade C or above is sometimes acceptable. Please see the relevant country page for more information. If you need an English test, we recommend booking one early as there can be a long wait in some areas. You can also take our Brunel English Language Test (BrunELT). If you don't see your test listed here then please contact us.

What level of English do I need?
In general, our courses ask for an English level of between IELTS 6.0 and 7.0 or equivalent.Some courses will have higher requirements (and will require you to also reach minimum sub-scores), so please check the course page for the exact level.

What English Qualifications does Brunel accept?
English qualifications we currently accept include the following Exam boards. We accept a wide range of other qualifications, so if you are unsure please get in touch with us on iplc@brunel.ac.uk

We accept the following English Qualifications:  Approximate Grade Equivalencies
BrunELT (Brunel English Language Test)

Minimum 55%

Minimum 60%

Minimum 60%
IELTS from the British Council (Academic test only) 

(Minimum 5.5 in all subscores)

(Minimum 6.0 in all subscores)

(Minimum 6.0 in all subscores)
Pearson (PTE) www.pearsonpte.com

 51 (min 51 in all subscores)

58 (min 51 in all subscores)
 64 (min 59 in all subscores)
Cambridge ESOL


CAE: Grade C

 CPE: Grade C or CAE: Grade B
International GCSE

Grade C

Grade C

 Grade C
International Baccalaureate (Standard Level)



International Baccalaureate (Higher Level)




83% or above

90% or above

 90% or above
Michigan English Test - Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English



I wish to take an IELTS test. I have heard that there are going to be many changes to IELTS test centres across the world. Where should I take my IELTS test?

Brunel University London strongly recommends that you sit your IELTS test at a test centre that has been approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as being a provider of a Secure English Language Test (SELT). Not all test centres have this status. The University can accept IELTS (with the required scores) taken at any official test centre. However, if you wish to undertake a Pre-sessional English course to further improve your English prior to the start of your degree course, you must sit the test at an approved SELT provider. This is because you will only be able to apply for a Tier 4 student visa to undertake a Pre-sessional English course if you hold a SELT from a UKVI approved test centre.

What if I have not met the requirements, or not taken a test? 

If you do not meet the English Language requirements, you can take one of our English Pre-Sessional Courses.

If you have not taken a test yet, you can take our BrunELT.

Page last updated: Friday 27 March 2015