You and your consultant discuss a sample of your work (typically up to 1,500 words for written work or 10 minutes for presentations). Through the discussion you can be helped to:
- develop and organise ideas
- write more clearly and accurately
- speak more clearly and accurately
- improve layout and referencing
- identify areas of difficulty with language and possible solutions
Students usually need to see a consultant two or three times for an assignment if major changes to a piece of work are needed. So try to book your first appointment for an assignment at least two weeks before it has to be completed - we do not expect a perfect first draft.
Discussions at the early stages of writing an assignment/dissertation/thesis or preparing a presentation tend to be focused on the development and organisation of ideas and how to make it easier for a reader to follow those ideas. In later consultations, the focus usually shifts to how language errors can be reduced.