As a Tier 4 (General) student, it may be possible for you to bring family members (dependants) with you to the UK when you come to study at Brunel University London. However, this will depend on your Tier 4 immigration status and the type of course that you will be studying. You will be eligible to bring certain family members with you to the UK if:
- You are being sponsored to study by your home government and your course is more than six months long OR;
- You will be studying a postgraduate course (either a taught master’s degree or a PhD research programme) that is 12 months or more in duration.
- If your current or most recent immigration permission was as a Tier 4 (General) student for a course of more than six months and your relevant family members have current or recent dependant immigration status, it may be possible to apply for another dependant visa/s. This depends on certain other circumstances – please read the UKVI policy guidance for further details (see below).
If you are already in the UK as a Tier 4 (General) student, your dependants can apply from their home country to join you in the UK. However, if you are in the same country as your family members, you must make your visa applications at the same time.
Only the following family members can be classified as dependants:
- Your partner – this can be your husband/wife, civil partner or an unmarried or same-sex partner who you have been living with in a relationship for at least two years.
- Your child/children – they must be aged less than 18 and must not have formed an ‘independent life or family unit.’ Please refer to the policy guidance for further details of this.
In the case of children, it is a requirement that both parents must be coming to the UK to be eligible to apply for a dependant visa. The only exceptions to this are if one of the parents has died or you have sole responsibility for the child.
Just like in your own Tier 4 student visa application, there are maintenance requirements that each dependant must meet.
For further details about making a dependant visa application and the requirements, please refer to the UKVI Policy Guidance for Dependants. This should be reviewed carefully before making the application/s.
The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) also has a useful guide for dependants available on their website.