Your Responsibilities as a Tier 4 Student

As a Tier 4 (General) student, you must remember that you have certain responsibilities regarding your attendance at Brunel University London and other activities that you can do in the UK, such as working. Failure to abide by these rules may put your immigration status at risk and your visa may be curtailed or cancelled. Please see below for a summary of these conditions.

1. Enrol for your course on-time: You must register at Brunel University London before the deadline that you will be given in your enrolment instructions. The University is obliged to notify UKVI of any Tier 4 students who do not register before the deadline.

2. Study only at Brunel University London: A Tier 4 visa is only valid for the course of study at the institution that it was issued for. If your visa has been issued for Brunel University London (using the CAS you were issued), you must only study at Brunel University on the course that was stated on the CAS.

3. Police Registration: Depending on your nationality, you may be required to register with the police when you arrive in the UK. It will be clearly printed on your visa if this is required and you must register within seven days of entering the UK. You will also need to register with the police if you extend your Tier 4 leave to remain (and therefore receive a new visa). You will need to go to the Overseas Visitors Registration Office (OVRO) to register. This is based in Central London:

Overseas Visitors Records Office
323, Borough High Street

Please visit the Metropolitan Police website for further details of how to register with the police, including travel instructions to get to OVRO. You will receive a Police Registration Certificate, which you must keep safe as it will be required if you need to make another Tier 4 application. If any of the details on your certificate change (for example your home address), you will need to get this updated. This can be done at a local police station.

4. Full attendance on your course: All students at Brunel University London are expected to attend all lectures and classes and complete all of the requirements for the course. This applies especially to Tier 4 students because the University must inform UKVI of any students who fail to engage with their course of study. Your academic department monitor your attendance on your course using contact points that you will need to meet. You must ensure that you attend all of the required contact points as part of your programme i.e. lectures, seminars and exams. If this is not possible for any reason, for example if you are suffering from ill health or you need to temporarily withdraw from your course, you must contact you academic department immediately.

5. Rights to Work: Working while studying here is a good way for all students to help support themselves financially, provided it does not interfere with the academic requirements of the course. It also provides useful working experience that will be of benefit when looking for employment after graduation. However, as a Tier 4 student, you must remember that there will be restrictions on the number of hours you can work per week. This will be stated on your visa. You will be given further details about your 'Rights to Work' after you register at the University. The University is obliged to inform UKVI of any students found to be working more hours than allowed.

6. Rights to Rent: If you will be living in privately rented accommodation (excluding halls of residence or accommodation owned and managed by Brunel University London), your landlord will have an obligation to check that you have a valid visa to remain in the UK. This is a new rule set by UKVI that was introduced on 1st February 2016. So if you are currently renting your accommodation, you may be asked to show your current visa (or other suitable immigration documents) in the near future, especially when you renew any tenancy agreements or you move to a new place. Please do not be alarmed if your landlord asks to see a copy of your visa as they are only following their legal obligations. Please note that this will apply to any other temporary migrants over the age of 18 who are living in the property i.e. family members etc. 

7. Only remain in the in the UK while you have a valid visa: It is a criminal offence to remain in the UK after your Tier 4 student visa has expired. This is unless you have applied to extend your Tier 4 leave to remain (or applied under another immigration category) before your Tier 4 student visa expired. Unless you are in a position to make a further leave to remain application before your Tier 4 visa expires, you should leave the UK before the visa expiry date.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) have a useful guide on their website about protecting your Tier 4 status. This covers many of the points above in more detail.

Page last updated: Thursday 19 January 2017