Exit Menu

Advertising scheme - rooms

Renting out rooms in your own home

If you have a spare room in your own home you can rent this out to ‘lodgers’. As with any property, if you are renting out a room in your home you will have to provide minimum health and safety standards.

For renting out one or two rooms in your own home, the standards to be aware of are:

  • there must be a current Gas Safety Certificate for the property;
  • there must be a current Electrical Safety Certificate for the property;
  • all furnishings must comply with the relevant fire safety standards;
  • smoke alarms should be fitted;
  • fire extinguishers and fire blanket are recommended and where present must be serviced on an annual basis.

The student will also need:

  • a room for their own use
  • a bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, desk and chair
  • a cupboard in the kitchen to store their food and utensils
  • an area of the fridge and freezer to store their food
  • use of the bathroom for shower/washing facilities
  • use of laundry facilities where possible

If you are renting out more than two rooms, you will have to comply with the House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) regulations, under the Housing Act 2004.

All HMO's must also comply with the Schedule of Works provided by the Private Sector Housing Team. This can be obtained directly from them at the Civic Centre, High Street, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 1UW (Tel: +44 (0)1895 250111).

All properties must have the following:

  • a current Landlords Gas Safety Certificate, which must be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered gas fitter (renewable on an annual basis);
  • a current Electrical Periodic Inspection report, which should be undertaken by an approved NICEIC electrician
  • a current EPC Certificate for HMO properties
  • furniture and furnishings which all satisfy the rules on fire safety which came into effect on 1st March 1993 - beds and mattresses should carry fixed labels stating that they are fire resistant in accordance with BS7177, and sofas and armchairs should carry a fixed label stating that they comply with the furniture and furnishings regulations 1988. If you are unsure whether the furniture in your property complies do not worry, as we will confirm this for you when we visit the property
  • mains wired and interlinked smoke alarms
  • fire extinguishers and fire blanket, which must be serviced on an annual basis.


The weekly rent for a lodgings room is usually inclusive of electric and gas. Use of phone lines and broadband are at your discretion and should be made clear at the time the student agrees to take the room.


We recommend drawing up a written agreement for your lodgers, which both you and they should sign. This then outlines the responsibilities of both sides, such as how much the deposit is, when rent is due, how the kitchen should be left after use and so on.

Council Tax

Full-time students are exempt from Council Tax. If you are receiving a deduction for being the only person in the property, this will not be affected if you take in a full time student.

If you wish to rent out a room in your home, please complete the Landlords advertising form and return it to the Housing Office.

How much will it cost to advertise?

There is no charge for advertising one or two rooms in a landlords' own home. For three rooms or more in a resident landlord's own home the administration fee is £35. For advertising rooms in HMO properties where the landlord does not live in the property, the administration charge is £35 per property advertised.

The administration fee allows you to advertise your rooms for as long as is necessary and as many times as is required during the year. Properties will need to be re-registered each year.