Useful contacts and links
For comprehensive health information and advice, including an online self-help guide, visit the NHS Direct website or phone NHS Direct on +44 (0)8454647.
Brunel Pharmacy (on campus)
+44 (0)1895 257187
The Chimes Shopping Centre
+44 (0)1895 233526
+44 (0)1895 258000
+44 (0)1895 232876
If you need to find a dentist in the Hillingdon/Uxbridge area, please go to the NHS website where you will find a postcode search tool.
If you need urgent dental help outside normal office hours, please visit the NHS Direct website or call them on +44 (0)845 4647.
If you think you may have had contact with a sexual infection, you can either:
- come and see us to talk about it and get tested;
- contact the genitourinary clinic at Hillingdon Hospital on +44 (0)1895 238282;
- visit the Hillingdon NHS website for details of your nearest clinic;
- find out more by taking a look at Sex: Worth Talking About, the BBC's The Surgery or the NHS website.
Regular planned contraception is the best way to avoid unplanned pregnancy:
- Our doctors or nurses can help you choose the right form of contraception and manage its ongoing use (we also offer free, discreetly-packaged condoms);
- Visit the FPA website, which includes a range of leaflets explaining more about all forms of contraception.
If you think you may be at risk of an unwanted pregnancy following intercourse:
- The practice can provide emergency contraception, either in the form of the morning-after pill or a copper coil (intra-uterine device).
- The morning-after pill can be obtained direct from pharmacies, for a fee, so you may choose not to come to us since it is more effective the sooner it is taken.
If you decide not to go ahead with an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy, then Hillingdon has a dedicated termination of pregnancy service. The Medical Centre can refer you to a clinic, or you can refer yourself:
Tudor Wing Sexual Health Centre (Hillingdon Hospital): +44 (0)1895 279537
Uxbridge Health Centre: +44 (0)1895 252461
Yiewsley Health Centre: +44 (0)1895 443686
Remember to organise regular contraception either before or after your operation.
Hillingdon has a dedicated stop smoking service to help you through quitting. They provide group and one-to-one sessions, as well as advice on nicotine replacement therapy. Call them on +44 (0)800 169 7541, or visit the Stop Smoking website.
Counselling: Brunel Counselling Service
Cervical smear tests: NHS Cervical Screening Programme
Asthma: Asthma UK
Diabetes: Diabetes UK
Hillingdon Hospital: +44 (0)1895 238282
Mount Vernon Hospital: +44 (0)1923 826111
Metropolitan Police (Hillingdon): +44 (0)1895 251212
The Samaritans: +44 (0)8457 90 90 90
Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Helpline: +44 (0)8451 221 331