It's up to you to shape your time as a student, but Brunel can help you to be as individual, and to have as much fun, as you want. There are so many things to do that you'll never have time to try them all!
Food and Drink
Brunel's bars, cafés, nightclub and foodhall have been refurbished in recent years, making them great places to relax and meet friends.
Eating and drinking
- Social Kitchen is the main campus refectory, serving meals and snacks from around the world. Open from 8am for breakfast right through for lunch and into the evening for dinner; Social Kitchen caters for all diets and budgets.
- Yardbird specialises in chicken, grilled or fried and in a range of tasty combinations. All chicken is 100% British and certified halal.
- In the centre of campus is a high street-style coffee shop serving Costa drinks expertly prepared by our baristas. Grab a sandwich or a mid afternoon slice of cake and enjoy.
- BeActive is the place to go after a workout in the gym or when watching a game in the sports hall. A full menu offering pasta, salads, grills and paninis as well as a full bar. Enjoy a panoramic view of the sports hall, or over the campus from the outdoor terrace.
- The Pavilion Bar alongside the outdoor sports park is ideal for a relaxing drink after a match. It offers a full bar menu and snack menu at selected times.
- Aspretto at the Lecture Centre offers a range of hot and cold drinks, sandwiches and snacks so you can grab and go when you've got a busy day of lectures.
- Metrobite, based inside Eastern Gateway Building, offers Starbucks coffees sandwiches and snacks, sit in the Atrium to enjoy or take away for when you're on the move.
- Loco’s Bar offers a reasonably priced classic pub food menu.
- Open from 10am until 2am Subway is there for when you need a breakfast sub in the morning through to when you need some food in the early hours after some late night studying or a night out in the Academy.
Loco's Bar is the main Students’ Union bar, with drinks promos and a pub-style menu. The big screen and plasma TVs show the latest sports coverage, or you can grab a game of pool or try one of the arcade games. There are two other bars on campus: Yardbird, which overlooks the main concourse, and BeActive in the Sports Centre.
The Academy nightclub is your on-campus entertainment venue. Offering a diverse range of events from club nights to cabaret shows, the nightclub offers a safe social space, having being recently awarded Silver Best Bar None Accreditation. We aim to provide a great social space that focuses on our membership, Best Bar None is a national award and accreditation scheme for pubs, bars and night clubs. To achieve this accreditation, venues are committed to working together with the Police, Local Authority and other regulatory bodies to provide fun, safe and enjoyable venues.
We know that it’s important for you to be able to sort out some of the more essential issues of student life without having to make a journey into town, and our on-campus shops and services will make that much easier.
- HSBC Bank: three cash points and access to all day-to-day banking services.
- Pharmacy: stocks prescription and non‑prescription products, toiletries and cosmetics, and provides confidential health advice and a 'stop smoking' programme.
- Costcutter: our mini-supermarket, stocking newspapers and magazines, household products, food and drink, and stationery.
- Computer Centre shop: selling IT products such as printer cartridges and paper, network cables, disks and hardware.
- Arts Centre: providing on-campus weekly classes and performances for all students
- Weekly stalls (Tuesday throughout term time): UBS has a weekly market which includes the www.brunelleisurewear.com stand, where you can purchase Brunel University branded clothing and merchandise. Alongside this are traders including: Unifruit, stocking a huge variety of fruit and Veg; Pete’s New Forest butchers; Artemeis Olives; Gourmet Nuts & Fudge; fresh fish and a bread and pastry stall.
Brunel is located in Uxbridge, a compact and friendly town on the edge of West London.
Uxbridge town centre
Uxbridge is just a 20-minute walk or short bus-ride from the heart of the campus, and the town centre is packed with more than 300 shops, a multiplex cinema, two shopping malls, dozens of bars and restaurants and a £3 million nightclub which runs a number of very popular student nights.
Easy access to Central London
If you want to experience one of the greatest cities in the world, but are daunted by the high cost and bustle of living there, then Brunel offers an ideal compromise.
Our Greater London address is ideal for exploiting the best work placements and job opportunities. Not only is London the heart of the financial, commercial and creative sectors, but international organisations such as Apple UK, Coca Cola, Parexel, Xerox, Hasbro and GlaxoSmithKline are based in and around Uxbridge.
You will also benefit from receiving a London-weighted maintenance loan without the burden of central London living costs.
Travelling from London to Uxbridge is very straightforward – the town is at the end of the Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines on the London Underground, and overground trains from West Drayton Station (which is a short bus-ride from campus) take you to Paddington in just 20 minutes. You can also catch night buses home from Central London throughout the night.
The countryside on your doorstep
One of Brunel’s best-kept secrets is its proximity to part of the Colne Valley Park and the Grand Union Canal, only a 15-minute walk away. The Park consists of miles of woods, walkways, lakes, rivers and nature reserves and is one of the largest natural parks in the London area.
If you're looking for somewhere a little more peaceful than the town centre, you can make your way down to one of the waterfront pubs.