Exit Menu

Research students

  • Complete the online Registration task: after you complete the task, your network account details will appear in your eVision portal. These give you access to your email and the intranet. For any Network account queries, please refer to www.brunel.ac.uk/network-account
  • Make sure you have a valid passport: you cannot register without your passport, even if you have previously registered at Brunel (see the passport information page for advice).
  • Finalise your accommodation: if you are living on campus make sure you accept your Licence Agreement and pay the booking fee by the stated deadline.
  • Pack your belongings: see the What to bring tab for an essential packing checklist.
  • Read our Welcome Guide for Researchers (coming soon)
  • Complete part two of Registration.
  • Move into your accommodation: our friendly contacts will be on hand to help you move your belongings into your room.
  • Visit the Library: learn your way around the Library and find out about services such as information skills training.
  • Arrange computer access: you should already have your network account username and password and your email address after completing the online Registration task. These will enable you to log on to your network account, email, Blackboard Learn and timetabling. Visit the Connect Portal for more information on: connecting personal networking devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones to the University network; WiFi@Brunel (the campus wireless network); ResNet (the hard-wired network in all Halls of Residence); and AnyConnect VPN (allowing users who are off-campus to connect securely). For any Network account queries, please refer to www.brunel.ac.uk/network-account
  • Meet your supervisor: you will have been given the names of your two supervisors in your offer email. If you are unsure how to get in touch with them, contact your Department Office.
  • Visit the Graduate School: take advantage of a range of skills development training, networking opportunities and social events.
  • Apply for a parking permit if you live more than 2 miles from campus. Permits are required to park on campus between 8am and 4.00pm. They cost £93 for the year and you can apply via eVision once you are fully enrolled. Students living in halls of residence or within two miles of campus are not eligible for a permit (unless you are a blue badge holder). If you are not eligible for an annual leave permit, or prefer not to purchase one, you can use the pay and display parking on campus which is £1 per hour. Find out more about student parking. Please note that for January starters the parking permit costs £62 and is valid from January to September of the same year.
  • Find a part-time job: the Job Shop advertises hundreds of part-time and temporary vacancies both on campus and in the local area. You can also get started on career planning and find Volunteering opportunities through Brunel Volunteers.
  • Register with the Medical Centre: if you live on campus or within the practice area you are recommended to register with the NHS general medical practice on campus.
  • Visit the Union of Brunel Students (UBS): UBS offers a number of students services and co-ordinates a huge range of clubs and societies, open to all students. Find out more on the UBS website.
  • Musicians – apply for a Music Award: all Brunel students except those who are taking music performance as part of their academic course can apply for a Music Award to help cover the cost of individual music tuition. Auditions take place in September each year; but in the interim, there are lots of musical groups and ensembles you can join – pop in to the Arts Centre building for more details.

Documents for Registration

  • Passport: you cannot register without your passport, even if you have previously registered as a Brunel student. If you don’t have one, see the passport information page for advice.
  • Brunel offer email or another document containing your seven digit Student Number (usually starting 16).
  • Provisional Registration Document: you can print this once you have completed the online Registration task – see How to register. You will have the opportunity to print it on arrival but be aware that this may involve additional queuing.
  • Original academic certificates plus certified English translations: you do not need to bring these if you are a Brunel graduate or if the Admissions Office has already seen the originals.
  • English language certificates: bring these if you are an international student or if your offer was conditional on achieving an English language qualification – unless we have already seen the originals.
  • Sponsorship letters if you are receiving external sponsorship towards your fees/living costs.
  • Visa if you are an international student: make sure that you have a valid Tier 4 (General) Student Visa for study that covers the full length of your course. If you already have a UK visa, it is important to check that it is suitable for enrolment before arriving at Brunel. If you have any queries contact admissions.immigration@brunel.ac.uk.

General documents

  • Receipts from payments already made to Brunel
  • National Insurance number card in case you want to get a job
  • NHS medical card: this contains your NHS number and your current GP’s details, and will make it easier to register at the campus Medical Centre
  • Driving licence if you have one
  • Railcard and/or Oyster Card. If you will be travelling in regularly from London you can apply for a student Oyster Card online via Transport for London once you are fully registered. A student Oyster card offers discounts on weekly travel card prices. You must have an Oyster card to use London buses as cash fares are no longer available.

Documents to access your room in Halls of Residence

  • Copy of your Licence Agreement
  • Photo ID to confirm your residency
  • One recent passport sized photograph of yourself to be kept on your records in your Hall

Items for your Halls of Residence

  • Kitchen: crockery, cutlery, pans, utensils, corkscrew/bottle opener, food for the first few days, washing up liquid and scourers, tea towel (we suggest overseas students do not bring large bulky items or food in their luggage – see the international students pre-arrival guide for more information) 
  • Bathroom: towels, toiletries, toilet roll
  • Washing powder
  • Stationery Laptop/PC/tablet if you have one. Don't bring a wireless router - WiFi is already provided in Halls and throughout campus.
  • Money: there’s a bank and a cash machine on campus but it is useful to have some cash to start off
  • TV Licence if you watch or record programmes via any medium as they are shown on TV, or if you watch live streaming on a computer or mobile device (you can buy one on the TV Licensing website)

If you are in Halls on campus, your room will contain a bed, wardrobe, bedside table, desk, chair, bed linen and duvet, bin and notice board. Your shared kitchen will contain a cooker, fridge, freezer, sink, kettle, bin, iron and ironing board, dustpan and brush, mop and bucket, and kitchen table and chairs.