Opening a UK Bank Account
Which bank do I go with?
This is entirely your choice. It is wise to do some research into what the different banks offer students as their services can differ. Below is a list of the banks available in Uxbridge and in the area:
- Metro Bank
- Nat West
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)
- Santander (branch on campus)
- Islamic Bank of Britain (in Southall)
- Bank of China (Central London)
What documents do I need?
When you have decided which bank to open your account with you will need the following documents in order to proceed:
- Your passport and valid visa (including your BRP) if you are an overseas student
- Your passport or National ID card (if you are from the European Union)
- Proof of student status and proof of address in the UK and in your home country, (this will only be available once you have completed in person enrolment. You can self-serve a ‘Bank Letter’ from the “my Letters” tab in eVision
Tips on keeping your money safe
Phishing scams in the UK are, unfortunately, a common occurrence. Phishing scams can be in form of emails, websites and phone calls from an untrustworthy source designed to steal money. Do not give out any personal information if you do not know who exactly you are talking to. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
Banks now offer internet banking and mobile app services. If using these services, ensure you have up to date anti-virus software installed on your devices.
Shield your pin number when withdrawing money from cash machines. Do not give your pin number to anyone.
Avoid carrying large amounts of cash in your bag and pockets or drawing attention to cash you are carrying. If you need to carry large amounts of cash, do your best to conceal it or divide it up if possible.
Where to find more information