Frequently Asked Questions

Should I disclose that I am disabled to the university?

Yes, because if we know that you are disabled, the university can support you to achieve your full potential.

Who is the information about me passed on to?

We never pass on any information unless you agree that we can, and then only what’s necessary to make sure you get the support you need. A disability adviser will explain what support you’re entitled to and who needs to know about it.

Is my condition considered to be a ‘disability’?

The Equality Act (2010) defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. Anyone with a condition (medical, mental health, physical or sensory impairment) or specific learning difficulty which fulfils this definition could be considered to be disabled.

If I’m asked to give evidence that I am disabled, what kind of evidence is required?

Suitable evidence will usually be a letter from a medical professional such as your GP, consultant, or psychiatrist, or a full diagnostic assessment of your specific learning difficulty. If you need exam adjustments we always ask for evidence to make sure we’re being fair.

Will the fact that I am registered with the Disability and Dyslexia Service be stated on my degree certificate?

No, nor will it mention any support you’ve had.

I think I might be dyslexic. How can I find out if I am?

The Disability and Dyslexia Service can arrange for you to have a full assessment.

What happens if I need to take time out from my course?

If you need to take time out, come and talk this through with a disability adviser. You might be able to take a short time out and catch up or you can take a longer time out (a period of ‘abeyance’) and then come back to your course when you’re ready.

As a disabled student will I be able to apply for on-campus accommodation after my first year?

Returning students aren’t usually entitled to on-campus accommodation. However, if you would be disadvantaged by not living on campus, it’s something that can be discussed with a disability adviser

Can I record my lectures?

Yes, but you must only use the recordings for your own personal study and shouldn’t copy them or pass them on, unless we’ve arranged for someone to write them out for you. It’s courteous to let lecturers know that you’re recording but you don’t have to say why.

Can I have extra time in exams?

If you need extra time in exams then a disability adviser will arrange this for you, but we’ll need evidence that you are disabled to do so.

Is my dyslexia taken into account when my exams and assessments are marked?

No, because the support that’s put in place is designed to make sure that you can produce work to the best of your ability by minimising the impact of your difficulties. For this reason all work is marked anonymously.

Will DSA pay for my tuition fees or living costs?

No, the DSA will only pay for the extra costs that are a direct result of your support needs.

Can I get a free laptop or voice recorder?

If your funding body approves your DSA application, you’ll be asked to go for a needs assessment at an approved centre. Here you’ll discuss your difficulties and the support that might help. The assessor then writes a report and lists what you’ll need, which might include a laptop and voice recorder. If it recommends a desktop instead of a laptop, you can ask your funding body if you can pay the extra.

How do I pay for the extra photocopying I’ll need?

Some of the things that are recommended at your needs assessment (such as extra photo-copying, printer cartridges etc) have to be paid for upfront. Keep all the receipts to send to your funding body so that you can claim the money back.

Does the Disability and Dyslexia Service offer drop-in support?

Yes, Monday to Friday from 2.00pm to 3.00pm. You can call in to the service without an appointment and meet with an adviser.

Page last updated: Wednesday 25 July 2012