Now in its 14th year, Brunel Professional Mentoring recognised the success of its highly credited mentoring scheme in an award ceremony on Wednesday 24 May.
Supported by 37 employers, the Professional Mentoring scheme gives Brunel students from widening participation (WP) and under-represented backgrounds the opportunity to work with employers in the private and public sectors.
Opened by Professor Bill Leahy, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Affairs & Civic Engagement), and Dr Beverley Crooks, Widening Participation Officer, the ceremony celebrated the best and brightest mentors and mentees from the programme. Awards were presented to the Mentors and Mentees of the Year, as well as those mentors who had been chosen to receive Long Service and Mentoring Experiences Awards.
The programme aims to help improve students’ employability by preparing for the graduate recruitment process ahead, as well as building supportive working relationships with committed professionals in the field. The scheme also includes students from the Ethnic Minority Undergraduate Scheme, which targets undergraduates from ethnic minority backgrounds and is managed in collaboration with the National Mentoring Consortium (NMC).
Congratulations to the winners:
- Mentees of the Year: Eloise Alcantara (Psychology; NMC), Gregory Stearn (Motorsport Engineering; WP)
- Mentors of the Year: Jas Hira (HMRC, NMC), Sylvia Court (GlaxoSmithKline, WP)
- Programme Champions: Chris Minchell (Home Office), Leroy Wilson (HMRC), Michael Potts (Dimension Data)
- Long Service (6 years): Andy Smith (HMRC), Dipesh Patel (BSkyB), Rohit Rai (PwC), Satinder Bains (HMRC),
- Long Service (5 years): Rita Mahidharia (HMRC), Subhabrata Bhattacharya (GlaxoSmithKline), Vikash Gandhi (Spicerhaart), Zulfikar Ali (HMRC)
- Employer of the Year: PwC (WP), HMRC (NMC)
Read more about Brunel University London's Professional Mentoring programme.
Photo: Eloise Alcantara (Mentee of the Year, NMC) with Professor Bill Leahy (Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Affairs & Civil Engagement)
Joe Buchanunn, Media Relations