Career options by work sector
Turn ‘I don’t know’ into ‘what if?’ by investigating lots of different job ideas. In just one click, open a treasure trove of information on what’s needed to get into a job sector, specific job websites, as well as the professional bodies to join.
Take a look at these websites:
- Prospects is a graduate careers website with employer vacancies, information on all types of jobs and job sectors, job hunting and further study.
- Target Jobs Graduate jobs, schemes and internships, plus careers information.
- AllAboutCareers Social careers information website which helps you explore the career options your degree opens up, get industry-specific careers advice, browse employers, apply for jobs and find out about upcoming events.
- Career Player Hundreds of career videos including videos bringing graduate jobs to life.
- Inside Careers In depth careers information on various professions written by industry experts, plus graduate jobs in these professions.
- TotalProfessions.com Explore the Profession Finder with nearly 300 professional bodies to choose from, plus Career Sectors for information on work sectors.
- Gov.UK A-Z list of various professional organisations and learned societies
Once you’ve done some general research into your career of interest, you may want to investigate your sector further. We’ve compiled some resources for you including useful websites, recruitment specialists and professional organisations.
It’s important to remember that these are more than just potential sources for vacancies; keeping informed about industry news will really help you when it comes to answering interview questions and preparing applications that stand out from the crowd.
Whether you are at the beginning of exploring your career options, or have a good idea about what you want to do, the PDC are here to help. For initial discussions you can come to Quick Query or if you need more time you can book an appointment direct with your Careers Consultant.
Come in and browse the reference books available to use in the PDC. Just drop-in Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm.