The READY programme is a framework for first year undergraduate students to take on a unique challenge as part of a team and instil attitudes, attributes and skills essential for employability and life. On this scheme you will develop transferable skills that will benefit you throughout your time at Brunel University London and beyond. This format is intended to make a steady transition from education into employment.
On the READY programme, you will meet new people from different courses and will work with them on an exciting project, based on responding to real world needs.
This scheme has been brought to life in partnership with UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees) and explores the design of creative solutions to current problems in the developing world.
READY will run over 10 weeks, starting with two sessions in November (Tuesday 15 and 22 November 2016 respectively), followed by eight sessions from Tuesday, 17 January 2017 onwards. The timings for all sessions are 5.30 to 7.00pm. Light refreshments will be served each week.
In essence, 'employability' is about three things:
- The right personal approach or attitude
The most important of these is undoubtedly ‘attitude’. Employers are increasingly looking for candidates that can show they have skills beyond their knowledge (degree). The ideal applicant for graduate roles will be a well-rounded and dedicated individual who can work as part of a team, has the right attitude and can demonstrate confidence, has good analytical and communication skills as well as sound commercial awareness.
This is a versatile programme, with engineering, health, culture and economics and finance as its components. On the READY programme you will discover global issues like poverty and environmental sustainability, which in turn are affected by international, socio- economic, political and technical forces. Throughout the programme you will be exploring these complexities via the design of creative solutions. Using a real world design brief, developed in partnership with UNHCR, the programme will:
- Look at current third world problems
- Use various methods to analyse these complexities
- Brainstorm to develop a solution
- Evaluate how the solution can be designed to suit the local community
- Assess various methods to design the solution
- Create the actual product
- Ensure sustainability of the project
- Clarify the implementation
- Present solution to employers / professionals and peers
- The winning solution / design will be entered into a competition to win first prize
Skills on the course:
During this course you will be introduced to a range of transferable skills, such as:
- Teamwork / conflict management
- Time management
- Project management (budget, scope and schedule)
- Communication skills (including brain storming, group facilitation and presentation skills)
- Discover how to pitch your ideas to professionals
- Problem solving
- Cross-cultural empathy
- Make new friends
- Build contacts for the future, while making a real difference
Don’t forget to activate your Brunel+ profile to earn points for participating on this scheme. Visit https://plus.brunel.ac.uk/ and sign in with your student number and network access password.
You can earn Brunel+ points as follows:
- 10 points for registering on the READY programme
- 170 points for completing
- 50 bonus points for winning
- Maximum points per year: 230
Sign up today, earn Brunel+ points and give your future career a solid boost while making a real difference! Email: Ready@brunel.ac.uk