Fulham Good Neighbours – Digital Skills Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Fulham Good Neighbours support mainly older people, including those with dementia, with practical tasks at home such as basic DIY, gardening, and decorating. We do what any good neighbour would: collect medication, escort to appointments, accompany shopping and take care of pets to name a few of our free services.
We also run a dedicated befriending scheme, a Digital Inclusion project and a range of social clubs to help beat isolation and loneliness.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To provide digital and IT support for older people who wish to learn or improve their skills in using new technology.
- Explain and demonstrate how to use laptops, tablets, smartphones
- Support beneficiaries to use email, social media, Skype, WhatsApp etc. to connect with friends and loved ones
- Explore online shopping opportunities and how to use various platforms
- Explore how to find medical information and/or book GP appointments online
- Show beneficiaries how to research social activities and local services
- Demonstrate how to use calendars and/or set up helpful reminders
We are looking for someone who could volunteer with us for 3 months or longer, for around 2 hours/week.
You will be reporting to Fulham Good Neighbours main office, but you will conduct one to one support visits at the beneficiaries’ home.
What training will be necessary and available:
No formal training is required. We will provide you with all the required information upon induction and provide you with volunteer guidelines.
- A friendly and cheerful manner
- A non-judgemental approach
- Good communication and listening skills
- Good IT and digital skills
- Patience and tact
- Reliability and sense of responsibility
- Good problem solving skills
- To be able to recognise and work within personal and organisational boundaries
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality
- Willingness to work without direct supervision
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Join an exciting new project in a dynamic organisation
- Impart your time and skills for the benefit of an older person
- The satisfaction of knowing that you play a pivotal role in aiding an older person in bridging the digital gap
- All hours will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- Hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invite to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony at the end of the year.