National Stalking Helpline – Volunteer Advisor
Details of the Charity:
The National Stalking Helpline is a national helpline specialising in providing information and guidance to anyone affected by harassment and stalking.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
We are currently we are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic and empathetic volunteers to respond to e-mails from victims of stalking and harassment.
We believe supporting volunteers is crucial to them getting the most out of the experience and so we always aim to make our volunteers feel very much part of the team. We offer in-depth support whilst volunteers are learning, debriefing at the end of every shift, one-to-one support as well as continued training opportunities.
All our volunteers tell us that they find the experience very rewarding as they know that they are playing an active role in helping people. This is a great opportunity for anyone looking for hands-on experience in supporting people, law, delivering advice, the VAWG sector, counselling and the charity sector.
We are currently looking for volunteers who can give us around 6 hours in one day (we are open 09:00-17:30 and most volunteers do 10:00-16:00), each week for a minimum of 9 months.
Our Helpline is not open during bank holidays or weekends. We appreciate that volunteers have other commitments and can discuss volunteering hours if successful at interview stage.
- Excellent writing skill
- Be able to commit to one day a week (or the equivalent) for around 9 month
- A commitment to equal opportunities policies and practices
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- The National Stalking Helpline will cover travel (up to £15 per shift) and lunch expenses (up to £4 per shift).
- Free comprehensive training in issues which surround stalking and harassment such as: stalking legislation and other relevant laws, civil and legal measures clients can take, domestic violence and its effects and stalker typologies.
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your H.E.A.R – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours volunteered will contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which may lead to an invitation to the annual Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony in May.