POhWER – Volunteer Advocate
Details of the Charity:
POhWER is one of the largest providers of advocacy services in the UK, and England’s largest provider of NHS Complaints Advocacy. POhWER’s role is: “To enable our clients’ voices to be heard, speaking for them when they can’t, and supporting them when they can.” They provide information, advice, support and advocacy to people who experience disability, vulnerability, distress and social exclusion.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Advocates help to empower people so that they have a say and role in shaping their own lives. Paid advocates support clients on a wide range of complex issues, and volunteer advocates add real life experience and skills to help clients with non complex issues.
- Start initially as a shadow advocate – shadowing their day-to-day role, and learn more about the advocacy role and services POhWER offers
- Support qualified and trained advocates to help people who find it difficult to find and understand information, speak up, and get their voice heard when important decisions are being made about their future
- Be exposed to other opportunities as you develop your knowledge and advocacy skills.
- No previous experience required
- Basic computer skills
- Good knowledge of English
*DBS required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers.
- Free training and courses
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR – which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the Brunel Volunteers Awards Ceremony.