Pimlico Toy Library – Play Assistant
Details of the Charity:Share this
42% of children under 5 living in the Westminster Ward Churchill, where we are based, live in poverty. We are a 32 year old registered charity working with families with under 11 year olds. Our aim is to develop each child’s potential through play.
We provide 4230 play places each year at 6 x 2 hour play and toy-loan sessions for 0-5 year olds. In the school holidays, activities are appropriate for 0-11 year olds. Qualified toy Librarians are at each session to motivate and support learning.
Families from a wide range of cultures, backgrounds and religions are able to socialise and feel a sense of belonging. Children learn and develop social interaction, confidence and a willingness to learn, which prepares them for nursery and school. This early intervention improves their long term life-chances.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
To support the Toy Librarian with tasks involved with planning, running, monitoring and evaluating Play sessions, held mornings and afternoons on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 9:00-17:00, throughout the year.
Play sessions are out core work. Any family with a child 0-11 years can join. Memberships fees are kept low and waived with discretions. Sessions are for adults and children together.
The aim of the session is to develop the potential of each child and support adults to learn and develop parenting skills.
- Welcoming families, helping them settle in
- Playing with the child: developing their communication, physical, creative, social and emotional skills
- Toys: how to use them to encourage and support learning
- Catalogue system: checking, washing and maintaining toys used on site and lent to families
- Database: updating information to keep records accurate
- General administration and governance tasks that improve the understanding of this role
- Good communication skills to talk with adults and children
- Ability to check the catalogue history of toys and update the information
- Fit and able to lift and move furniture and large toys
- Able to follow instructions
*DBS check required – provided free of charge by Brunel Volunteers
- Travel expenses reimbursed
- Develop life skills in communication, team-work and Play and Toy Librarianship
- Hours volunteered will be recorded on your HEAR, which goes on your permanent university record
- All hours contribute towards your Brunel Volunteers Award, which leads to an invitation to the end of year Brunel Volunteers Award Ceremony