Dr Busayawan Lam
Michael Sterling 156
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266592
Dr Busayawan Lam is a course tutor of MA Design and branding Strategy and MA Design Strategy and Innovation, School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University London. She specialises in the areas of New Product Development (NPD) process, Design Strategy and Design Management.
Busayawan is a graduate of BA Industrial Design, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand (1997), MSc Industrial Design, University of Salford (2001), and PhD Design Research, Brunel University London (2005).
She began her career as a product designer in a household product producer specialising in children goods. Being sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Thailand, she completed the PhD research in the topic of new conceptual model for Smart Clothing development process, which explored how to reconcile differences between fashion design disciplines and technology developers. She later worked for the National Metal and Materials Technology Center (MTEC) as a researcher where she worked with numerous disciplines in various research clusters, namely Bio-energy, Cleaner Technology, Automotive Part Development and Medical Product Design. She co-supervised the Automotive Rapid Prototyping Lab and its research activities funded by the Thai-German Institute.
- 1999 Honorary certificate for enhancing the reputation of the Department, Industrial Design Department, Faculty of Architecture, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- 1998 “Thailand Motorola Pager Young Designer Award” - second runner-up
- 1998 Modernform office furniture design contest – 2nd prize
- 1998 Excellent design certificate from Department of Export Promotion’s “The Best Premium Award” – the design contest of stationery and premium gift
- 1997 Honorary certificate for enhancing the reputation of the Department, Industrial Design Department, Faculty of Architecture, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- 1997 Excellent design certificate from Thai Environment and Community Development Association’s design contest.
Busayawan has developed and delivered several Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programmes in the field of branding strategy through DesignPlus.
- 02/2009: “Environmental Design Considerations” lecture for the POPAI Green Project Meeting, Ricoh Arena Coventry City FC
- 07/2007: “Design for Tourism Industry” lecture for Tourism Management Course, Graduate School of Business, Assumption University, Thailand
- 07/2007: “Biofuel Technology Roadmap” at the Public Hearings on Biofuel Technology Roadmap, Rama Gardens Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand
- 03/2007: “Biofuel Technology Roadmap” at NSTDA Annual Conference 2007, National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA), Thailand
- 02/2007: “Brand Identity Development for New Product” at MTEC Forum, National Metal and Materials Technology Center (MTEC), Thailand
- 11/2006: “Product Design and Development Process” and “Rapid Prototyping Technique” at the workshop for the rotation moulding industry organised by Siam Cement Group (SCG) Chemicals, Thailand
- 08/2006: “Design Trends” and “Visualisation” lectures in Design for Manufacturability Module, PhD Manufacturing and Systems Engineering, Department of Production Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi, Thailand
- 01/2006: “Unlocking User’s Mind: User Cognitive Model” at MTEC Forum, National Metal and Materials Technology Center (MTEC), Thailand
Newest selected publications
Shams, M. and Lam, B. (2016) 'Strategic Design Versus Silent Design: A Reckoning'. DMI Review, 27 (3). pp. 28 - 33. ISSN: 1557-0614 Open Access Link
Lam, B., Chen, YP., Whittle, J., Binner, J. and Lawlor-Wright, T. (2015) 'Better Service Design for Greater Civic Engagement'. The Design Journal, 18 (1). pp. 31 - 55. ISSN: 1460-6925 Open Access Link
Lam, B. and Dearden, A. (2015) 'Enhancing service development and service delivery through co-design'. Voluntary Sector Review, 6 (1). pp. 61 - 80. ISSN: 2040-8056
Simm, W., Ferrario, M-A., Whittle, J., Davenport, R., Binner, J., Frankova, K., (2015) 'On the Role of Digital Consultation Tools in Public Space Design: A Case Study'. Interacting with Computers. ISSN: 0953-5438et al.