Lecturer in Design
Farnaz Nickpour is a Lecturer in Design at Brunel Design. Farnaz has a strong industrial + strategic design background with a BA and MA in Industrial Design and an MA in Design Strategy and Innovation. Farnaz is a founding member of the Inclusive Design Research Group (IDRG) and a fellow at the Human Centred Design Institute.
Farnaz’s expertise lies in the areas of Inclusive Design, People-centred innovation, User research and Co-design. Farnaz has worked directly with diverse people, designers and the public in the design of products, services and tools that ‘include’ and ‘inspire’. Some recent projects include Design Council Design Bugs Out, RCUK Public Engagement with Inclusive Design and Inclusive Bus Travel for TfL.
Farnaz has presented her work internationally and has spoken in many conferences and events including a keynote speech at Include09 Conference in Royal College of Art, London. She has won a number of awards for her research in inclusive design. Social inclusion, public engagement and education of inclusive design and design for happiness are her main passions.
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/farnaznickpour
- Blog: http://www.inclusivedesignresearch.org/
- LinkdIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/farnaz-nickpour/5/5a1/7a5
- PhD Design, Brunel University London, 2008 – 2012
- MA (Distinction) Design Strategy & Innovation, Brunel University London
- MA (Distinction) Industrial Design, University of Art, Tehran
- BA Industrial Design, University of Tehran
Awards & Prizes
- Hamilton Prize - Best Thesis in Design Research area, 2013, Brunel University London
- Reviewers’ Choice Award, April 2009, Include 2009, Royal college of Art, London (http://www.hhc.rca.ac.uk/1345/all/1/include_2009_.aspx)
- International Travel Award, October 2010, Royal Academy of Engineering
- Second Best Abstract Award, Third Research Student Conference, ResCon10, Brunel University London, UK, 21-23 June 2010
- Best Presentation Award, Second Research Student Conference, ReSCon09, School of Engineering & Design, Brunel University London, London, 22-24 June 2009
- Inclusive Design [facilitation, public engagement & futurology]
- Ageing & Disability in Design [implications & innovations]
- Design for Happiness
Specialities:Lecturer in Design Process and Visual Communication, specialising in Inclusive design & Psycho-social inclusion, People-centred innovation, Public Engagement and Co-creation processes.
Research project(s) and grant(s)
Public Engagement with Inclusive Design (2010), Principal Investigator
Exploring inclusivity through involving older people and teenagers in co-design activities
- Sponsors: Research Council UK (RCUK)
- Value: 2K
- Dates: March 2010
Inclusive Bus Travel - Making Hillingdon bus services more accessible (2011), Principal Investigator,
Investigating the barriers and the way forward to a more inclusive and accessible public bus service in Hillingdon Council. Funded by TFL and Hillingdon Council, the research outcome will be used as a bench mark case study for other local councils in London.
- Sponsors: Transport for London (TfL) and Hillingdon Council
- Value: 15K
- Dates: January 2011 – July 2011
Module teaching contributor
- Design Process 1 - Level 1 Core module (module contributor)
- Graphic Communication 2 - Level 2 (module contributor)
- Major Project - Level 3 (supervisor)
- MSc Dissertation - Level 5 (supervisor)
MSc Design supervision
- Murtaza Abidi (http://madeinbrunel.com/people/murtaza-abidi/)we:care
A ‘Big Society’ community based social care service
- Wimonruth Luengpermpul
- Yang Zhou
Undergraduate Design Supervision
- Samuel McClellan (http://madeinbrunel.com/people/samuel-mcclellan/)
Pivot Kettle; Inclusive solutions for improving domestic water processing
- Charlotte Pharez (http://madeinbrunel.com/people/charlotte-pharez/)
“Uno Mug; Inclusive mug for people with Parkinson’s Disease”
- Emma Tuttlerbury (http://madeinbrunel.com/people/emma-tuttlebury/)
“Performing in Tune; Improving a flautist's understanding and control of temperature”
- Sara Rahimi Nia “Image Capture Device for Children with Disability”
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2011) 'Designing anthropometrics! Requirements capture for physical ergonomic data for designers'. The Design Journal, 14 (1). pp. 92 - 111. doi: 10.2752/175630610X12877385838849
Nickpour, F. (2006) 'Alessi; a different company'. Dastavrd Journal of Professional Industrial Design, 8
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2010) 'Developing user data tools: challenges and opportunities', in Langdon, P. , Clarkson, PJ. and Robinson, P. (eds.) Designing Inclusive Interactions. Springer Verlag pp. .
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2010) 'Representing unstructured user data for inclusive design', in Salvendy, G. and Karwowski, W. (eds.) Advances in Understanding Human Performance. CRC Press
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2010) 'Inform and inspire: representing older people data to designers' , British Society of Gerontology Conference (BSG 2010). Brunel University, Uxbridge. 6 - 8 July. [unpublished].
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2010) 'Unstructured user data for inclusive design' , Third Research Student Conference (ResCon10). Brunel university, Uxbridge. 21 - 23 June. [unpublished].
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2010) 'Public engagement with inclusive design; a new platform for knowledge transfer' , Third International Conference for Inclusive Design (UD2010). Hamamatsu, Japan. 30 - 3 November. [unpublished].
Dong, H. and Nickpour, F. (2010) 'Designing Ergonomic Data Tools for designers' , The 17th International Conference on Engineering Design. Stanford, California, USA. 24 - 27 August. cdr, pp. 8-53 - 8-64.
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2009) 'Anthropometrics for inclusive design' , 17th World Congress on Ergonomics (IEA2009). Beijing, China. 9 - 14 August. [unpublished].
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2009) 'Anthropometrics without numbers!' , Research Student Conference (ReSCon09). Brunel University, Uxbridge. 22 - 24 June. [unpublished].
Dong, H. , Nickpour, F. and McGinley, C. (2009) 'Designing ergonomics data tools for designers' , 17th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED’09). Stanford University, USA. 24 - 27 August. The Design Society. Download publication
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2009) 'Anthropometrics without numbers! An investigation of designers' use and preference of people data' , Include 2009 -International Conference on Inclusive Design. Royal College of Art, London, UK. 5 - 8 April. [unpublished]. Download publication
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2008) 'Anthropometric data for designers: issues about accessibility and usability' , British HCI 08. Liverpool, UK. 2 - 5 September. [unpublished].
Nickpour, F. and Dong, H. (2008) Designing anthropometrics: insights into designers’ use of people size data. Commissioning body: School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University
Nickpour, F. (2008) Design for happiness. [Poster] Exhibited at. SIG on Health and Wellbeing, Coventry University, UK, 30/ 4/ 2008
Dong, H. and Nickpour, F. (2008) Visualisation of anthropometric data for inclusive design. [Poster] Exhibited at. CWUAAT08, Cambridge University, UK, 14/ 4/ 2008