Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering
CEng, MCIHT, MICE, FHEA
Mujib is a Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering at the School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University London. Prior to his present employment, he was a senior lecturer, and postgraduate programme leader at the Nottingham Trent University and was responsible to lead research in construction engineering and infrastructures.
Mujib’s research career began in early 1999, as a research assistant in the construction robotics centre at the City University London, working on a multi-disciplinary project funded by the EC 4th Framework programme that focused on hydro-erosion for repair of in-situ concrete (HEROIC). From September 2000 to August 2003, he worked in the Nottingham Transportation Engineering Centre (NTEC) at the University of Nottingham, initially as a research assistant, then being promoted to research associate, where he also completed his doctoral research on the fundamental characterisation of dry process modified asphalt mixtures in 2003 (awarded in 2004).
Following the completion of his doctoral research, Mujib spent five years in the industry. During the first three years (2003-2006), he worked as a senior pavement and material engineer at Jacobs UK Ltd served as a project manager and lead engineer, and co-ordinated a pavement design team for several high profile design and rehabilitation projects for national and international clients. In 2005, Mujib completed his professional review and become a Chartered Engineer. In 2006, Mujib joined TRL Limited as a senior researcher and engineer. Here he was responsible for various consultancy and R&D projects, notably for the Highways Agency and Department for Transport.
Mujib has gained extensive research experience on the fundamental characterisation of asphalt and concrete materials, non-destructive based evaluation of civil engineering infrastructures, protection of porous construction materials and condition data analysis. He is author/co-author of over 30 highly regarded international journals and conference articles and has also written over 100 design and consultancy reports for government departments and private organisations. His research is sponsored by EPSRC, EC, Dft, Highways Agency, Institution of Civil Engineers and private organisations.
Mujib has lectured at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels on structural design, structural engineering, advanced construction materials, health monitoring and rehabilitation of surface structures (road, airfield, heavy duty pavement and industrial ground floor), analysis and design of surface structures (road, airfield, heavy duty pavement and industrial ground floor), sustainable infrastructure development and infrastructure management at Nottingham Trent University and at Brunel University London.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE), Nottingham Trent University, 2010
- PhD in Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, 2004
- MSc in Civil Engineering Structures (distinction), City University, London, 1998
- BS in Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (1st Class), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1995
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Member of Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT)
- Fellow in Higher Education Academy (HEA),UK
- Committee Member - Pavement Monitoring and Evaluation, AFD20, Transportation Research Board
- Member of Advisory Council, Department of Civil Engineering, North South University, Bangladesh
- Invited peer reviewer for more than 10 international journals.
- Member of scientific committee and session chairs in a number of international conferences
- External PhD Examiner, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Nottingham,
- Honorary Secretary, Midland Branch, CIHT
- Editorial Board Member-Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture
- Institution of Civil Engineers, East Midland Merit Awards 2013, Studies and Research-Performance of Asphalt Patch Repair
- Conference “Paper of Excellence” -‘The Influence of Crude Source and Penetration Grade on the Interaction of Crumb Rubber and Bitumen’, Asphalt Rubber 2003 Conference, Brasilia, Brazil 2003.
- New approach to managing potholes, Institute of Highway Engineers Annual conference, June 2013
- How many men does it take to fill a hole? An academic study of potholes, Association of Public service Excellence Annual Seminar, Newcastle, UK, March 2013
- Concrete Protection, The University Bologna, ERASMUS exchange programme, 2012
- The Influence of Thermal Segregation on Asphalt Pavement Compaction, Nottingham Asphalt Research Consortium, Nottingham, 2012
- EC3 for dummies, The Institution of Structural Engineers, 2010
- Redefining research, The Nottingham Trent University, 2010
Media Coverage of Research
- A pothole damage breakthrough?, World Highway, April 2013
- BBC Breakfast, UK pothole problems, 9th February 2013
- BBC Radio Nottingham, 12th December 2011 and 8th February 2013
- BBC East-midland, Field trials of pothole repair, May 2012
- Sky news live, Pothole problems is UK, March 14, 2012
- BBC East-midland news, 15th December 2011, Pothole research,
- BBC radio Nottingham Drive time live programme, 14th December 2011, interview on pothole repair performance
- New civil engineer, December 2011, report on pothole research.
- Pavement evaluation and management
- Characterisation and Modelling of Pavement Material
- Protection of Porous Construction Material
- Sustainability and the Environment
Mujib’s research interest broadly covers four distinct but interconnected areas. They are;
Pavement evaluation and management
- Pavement evaluations techniques and optimisation of maintenance management methodologies
- Health monitoring and non-destructive based evaluation
- Back-analysis and residual life prediction
- Road repair
- Utilisation of soft computing in condition data analysis
- Integrated infrastructure asset management
- Application of emerging technology, especially, thermography, 3D imaging and sensor technology
- Performance of bridge deck waterproofing
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) in tyre/pavement interaction
Characterisation and Modelling of Pavement Material
- Rheology of bitumen and asphalt mixtures
- Thermal segregation in asphalt compaction
- Mechanical properties such as stiffness, fatigue and resistance to permanent deformation,
- Interfacial characterisation (adhesion and cohesion) of bitumen-aggregate to address moisture susceptibility of asphalt mixtures.
- Performance of modified pavement materials
Protection of Porous Construction Material
- Protecting asphalt, concrete, stone, masonry and other porous construction materials, from the destructive effects of atmospheric pollution, climatic weathering and chemical attack.
Sustainability and the Environment
- The development and application of greener and smarter materials. This includes the application of high performance nanotechnology materials and the use of recycled and secondary aggregates in asphalt and in concrete.
- Life cycle performance model of emerging asphalt materials to integrates into the performance metrics by reducing environmental impacts and energy use
- Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect on exposed paved surfaces
Research project(s) and grant(s)
- Multi sensors non-destructive evaluation of refurbished concrete structures
- Characterisation of dry process crumb rubber modified asphalt mixtures
- Hydro erosion for repair of in-situ concrete
- Mechanical performance of road iron work and pavement systems
- Performance of rubber modified self-compacting concrete.
- Contribution in Urban Heat Island from Different Exposed Paved Surfaces
- Highways agency pavement management system
- Cost-effective maintenance decisions with the Falling Weight Deflectometer
- Performance of road trenching
- Traffic Speed Deflectometer (TSD) in the concrete pavement joint evaluation
- Early life failure of long-life pavement
- Pothole formation mechanism and performance of asphalt patch repair
- Multi-objective optimisation for pavement maintenance and rehabilitation (M&R) decision
- Performance of impregnated concrete
- Implementation of asset management in local authority
- Crack detection in highly textured pavement images
- Pavement raveling detection and quantification from synchronized intensity and range images
- Resins in timber connection
- Construction and Sustainability
- Sustainable Infrastructure Development
- Infrastructure Management
Al-Kheetan, M. , Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (Accepted) 'Early life performance of a dual crystalline and a polymeric cementitious coating in concrete protection'. Construction & Building Materials. Download publication
Mathavan, S. , Kumar, A. , Kamal, K. , Nieminen, M. , et al. (2016) 'Fast Segmentation of Industrial Quality Pavement Images using Laws Texture Energy Measures and k-Means Clustering'. Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol 25 (5). doi: 10.1117/1.JEI.25.5.053010 Download publication
Rahman, M. (2016) ''Editorial-Proceedings of the ICE - Transport''. Proceedings of the ICE - Transport, Volume 169 (Issue 4). pp. 185 - 186. doi: 10.1680/jtran.2016.169.4.185
Byzyka, J. , Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (Accepted) 'THERMAL SEGRAGATION OF ASPHALT MATERIAL IN ROAD REPAIR'. Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering (JTTE). Download publication
Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (Accepted) 'The Performance of Crystalline Hydrophobic in Wet Concrete Protection'. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. Download publication
Rahman, M. and D.A Chamberlain. (2016) 'APPLICATION OF CRYSTALLISING HYDROPHOBIC MINERAL AND CURING AGENT TO FRESH CONCRETE'. Construction and Building Materials, Vol 127 pp. 945 - 949. Download publication
Khurram Kamal,. , Senthan Mathavan. , Tayyab Zafar. , Imran Moazzam. , et al. (2016) 'Performance assessment of Kinect as a sensor for pothole imaging and metrology'. International Journal of Pavement Engineering. doi: 10.1080/10298436.2016.1187730
Mathavan, S. , Khurram, K. and Rahman, M. (2015) 'A Review of Three-Dimensional Imaging Technologies for Pavement Distress Detection and Measurements'. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. doi: 10.1109/TITS.2015.2428655
Mathavan. S, M. Rahman, Martyn Stone-Cliff Jones and K. Kamal. (2015) 'PavementRaveling Detection and Measurement from Synchronized Intensity and Range Images'. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
S. Mathavan, M. Rahman and K. Kamal. (2014) 'Use of the Self-Organizing Map for Crack Detection in Highly Textured Pavement Images'. ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000237
Mathavan. S, M. Rahman and Martyn Stone-Cliffe Jones. (2014) 'A Self-Organising Map Classification of Falling Weight Deflectometer Data for Doweled Unreinforced Concrete Pavement Joints'. International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology.
M Rahman, D A Chamberlain and M N Balakrishna. (2014) 'Prolong Rainy Condition in the Efficacy of Concrete Protection'. Proceedings of the ICE - Construction Materials, Volume 168 (Issue 1). doi: 10.1680/coma.14.00002
M N Balakrishna, MRahman, D A Chamberlain, Fouad Mohammad and Robert Evans. (2013) 'Interpretation of Hydrophobicity in Concrete By Impregnation'. Int. J. Struct. & Civil Engg, Vol. 2 (No. 4).
Rahman, M. , Grenfall, J. and Arulalandham, S. (2013) 'The influence of thermal segregation in pavement compaction'. Transportation Research Record – Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
Rahman, M. , D.A Chamberlain. , Balakhrishna Swami. and JKipling. (2013) 'Performance of pore-lining impregnants in concrete protection by unidirectional salt-ponding test (U-SPT)'. Transportation Research Record – Journal of the Transportation Research Board.
Mahmood. M. , M.Rahman. , S. Mathavan. and L. Nolle. (2013) 'A fuzzy logic approach for pavement section classification'. International Journal of Pavement Research and Asphalt Technology.
Thom, N. , Rahman, M. , Usman, M. and Tsiolis, C. (Accepted) 'Research into pothole formation'. International Journal of Pavement Engineering & Asphalt Technology (PEAT), 14
Di Maria V. , M. Rahman. , P Collins. , Giulio Dondi. and Cesare Sangiorgi. (2013) 'Contribution in Urban Heat Island from Different Exposed Paved Surfaces'. International Journal of Pavement Research and Asphalt Technology, 6 (4).
Rahman, M. , Ali A. Al-Ghalib. and F Mohammad. (2013) 'Anti-vibration characteristics of rubberised reinforced concrete beams'. Journal of Materials and Structures. doi: 10.1617/s11527-013-0151-0
Rahman, M. , M Usman. and Ali. Al Ghalib. (2012) 'Fundamental properties of rubber modified self-compacting concrete'. Journal of Construction and Building Materials, 36 pp. 630 - 637. doi: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.04.116
Mathavan. S. , M. Rahman. and K. Kamal. (2012) 'Application of Texture Analysis and the Kohonen Map on pavement images for Crack Detection'. Transportation Research Record – Journal of the Transportation Research Board (TRR), 2304 pp. 150 - 157. doi: 10.3141/2304-17
A-Ghalib, A. , Mohammed, FA. , Rahman, M. and Chilton, J. (2011) 'Damage identification in a concrete beam using curvature difference ratio'. Journal of Physics, 305 (1). doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/305/1/012109
Rahman, MM. , Airey, GD. and Collop, AC. (2010) 'Moisture susceptibility of high and low compaction dry process crumb rubber-modified asphalt mixtures'. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2180 (2). pp. 121 - 129. doi: 10.3141/2180-14
Rahman, M. , Airey, G. and Collop, A. (2006) 'The influence of ageing on dry process crumb rubber modified asphalt mixtures'. The International Journal of Pavement Engineering and Asphalt Technology, 7 (7). pp. 10 - 26.
Airey, G. , Rahman, M. and Collop, AC. (2004) 'Crumb rubber and bitumen interaction as a function of crude source and bitumen viscosity'. Road Materials and Pavement Design, 5 (4). pp. 453 - 475. doi: 10.1080/14680629.2004.9689981
Airey, G.D. , M Rahman. and A C Collop. (2003) 'Absorption of Bitumen into Crumb Rubber Using the Basket Drainage Method'. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Volume: 4 pp. 105 - 119.
Juliana, B. , Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (2017) 'A Three Dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Temperature Distribution in Hot mix Asphalt Pothole Repair' , Tenth International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields. Athens, Greece. 28 - 30 June. [unpublished].
Al-Kheetan, M. , Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (2017) 'Influence of crystalline admixture on fresh concrete to develop hydrophobicity' , The Transportation Research Board (TRB) 96th Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C. USA. 8 - 12 Janruary.
Al-Kheetan, M. , Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (2017) 'Influence of Hydrophobic Admixture and Curing Agent on Water-Resistant Concrete' , The Transportation Research Board (TRB) 96th Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C. 8 - 12 Janruary.
Byzyka, J. , Chamberlain, D. and Rahman, M. (2017) 'Novel Control Pothole Repair System Using Radiant Heat for Long-Lasting Patch Repairs' , The Transportation Research Board (TRB) 96th Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C, USA. 8 - 12 Janruary. [unpublished]. Download publication
Mahmood, M. , Rahman, M. and Mathavan, S. (2016) 'Distress Based Pavement Performance Prediction Models' , 8th International Conference on Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Pavements (MAIREPAV8). Singapore. 27 - 29 July. [unpublished].
Maher Mahmood. , Senthan Mathavan. , Mujib Rahman. and Rahman, M. (2016) 'Pavement Maintenance Decision Optimization Using a Novel Discrete Bare-Bones Particle Swarm Algorithm' , The Transportation Research Board (TRB) 95th Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C, USA. 10 - 15 Janruary.
Rahman, M. , N. M Alkordi. , A.M Ragrag. , S. Kamal. and D.A Chamberlain. (2016) 'MOISTURE EFFICACY OF IMPREGNANT IN CONCRETE PROTECTION' , The Transportation Research Board (TRB) 95th Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C. 10 - 15 Janruary.
Mahmood, M. , Rahman, M. and Mathavan, S. (2015) 'Pavement Management: Data Centric Rules and Subjectivity Management in Section Classification by a Fuzzy Interference System' , 6th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCEBITUMINOUS MIXTURES AND PAVEMENTS. Thessaloniki, Greece. 10 - 12 June. [unpublished].
Saeed, F. , Qamariatul, S. , Rahman, M. and Woodside, A. (2015) 'The State of Pothole Management in UK Local Authority' , 6th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE BITUMINOUS MIXTURES AND PAVEMENTS. Thessaloniki, Greece. 10 - 12 June. [unpublished].
Rahman, M. , Bateman, G. and Chamberlain, D. (2015) 'MOISTURE BLOCKING IN MASONRY ARCH STRUCTURES' , 94th Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board. Washington D.C. 11 - 16 Janruary. [unpublished].
M Rahman, D.A Chamberlain and H Hamza. (2014) 'Lock-in Thermography Approach to Discriminate Surface Preparation in CFRP Reinforced Concrete' , 5th International Conference on Concrete Repair. Queen's University, Belfast, UK. 1 - 3 September. [unpublished].
Di Maria V., M. Rahman., P Collins., Giulio Dondi. and Cesare Sangiorgi. (2014) 'The Thermo Physical Properties OfPaved Surfaces In Urban Environment' , 93rd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, National Academies of Science. Washington D C. - 16 Janruary. [unpublished].
Moazzam, I, K Kamal, S. Mathavan, Rahman, M. (2013) 'Metrology and Visualization of potholes using the Microsoft Kinect Sensor' , 16th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. The Hague, The Netherlands. 6 - 9 October. [unpublished].
Muhammad S, Mathavan S, Khurram K, Rahman, M. (2013) 'Pavement Crack Detection Using the Gabor Filter' , 16th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. The Hague, The Netherlands. 6 - 9 August. [unpublished].
Mathavan, SM. , Rahman, M. and Kamal, K. (2013) 'Application of texture analysis and the Kohonen map on pavement images for region segmentation in crack detection' , 92nd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board, National Academies of Science. WashingtonDC, USA. 13 - 17 June. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
R Evans and M Rahman. (2012) 'The influence of moisture on the detection of de-bonding in asphalt pavements using ground penetrating radar (GPR)' , 2nd International Conference on Transportation Geotechnique. University of Hokkaido, Sapporo, Japan. 9 - 11 September. [unpublished].
Al-Ghalib, A. , Mohammad, FA. , Rahman, M. and Chilton, JC. (2011) 'Damage and repair quantification in reinforced concrete beams using vibration data' , 4th International Conference on Concrete Repair. Dresden, Germany. 26 - 28 September. CRC Press, pp. 575 - 583.
M Rahman, M StoneCliffe-Jones, R Evans. (2011) 'Structural assessment of in-service doweled concrete pavement joints' , 5th International Conference on Bituminous Mixtures and Pavements. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki. 1 - 3 June.
Rahman, M. and Greenwood, J. (2011) 'Energy efficient highway junction design' , Highway junction design for energy efficiency. Bangkok, Kingdom of Thailand. 3 - 5 August. [unpublished].
Ali A. Al-Ghalib, F A. Mohammad, M. Rahman, and J Chilton. (2011) 'Curvature difference ratio for quantification of damage on reinforced concrete beams' , 9th International Conference on Damage Assessment of Structures. St Anne’s College, University of Oxford, UK. 11 - 13 July. [unpublished].
Rahman, M. (2011) 'A self-organising map for concrete pavement joint evaluation' , Data Analysis Working Group (DAWG), 90th Annual Meeting Transportation Research Board Meeting. Washington DC, USA. 24 - 28 Janruary. [unpublished].
M Usman, M Rahman and Ali. Al Ghalib. (2011) 'NDT based evaluation of rubber-modified self-compacting concrete' , 4th International Conference on Concrete Repair. Dresden, Germany. 26 - 28 November. CRC Press.
Ali Al-Ghalib, Fouad A. Mohammad, M. Rahman. (2010) 'Reinforced concrete property identification using modal test' , Redefining Research. Nottingham Trent University, UK. 7 - 8 July. [unpublished].
Al-Ghalib, AA. , Mohammad, FA. , Rahman, M. and Chilton, J. (2010) 'Dynamic parameters of incrementally loaded reinforced concrete beams' , 10th International Conference on Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics. Southampton, UK. 12 - 14 July. [unpublished].
Rahman, M. and Airey, GD. (2010) 'An investigation using idealised rubber-bitumen composite mixtures to assess the influence of short-term rubber-bitumen interaction on dry process CRM asphalt mixtures' , 11th International Conference on Asphalt Pavement. Nagoya, Japan. 1 - 6 August. [unpublished].
Rahman, M. (2010) 'An assessment of in-service unreinforced doweled concrete pavement joints from multiple parameters' , Redefining Research. Nottingham Trent University, UK. 7 - 8 July. [unpublished].
M. Rahman. (2009) 'Utilisation of Deflection Data for Rehabilitation of evolved “non-standard” flexible Pavements' , PIARC International Seminar. Cancún, México. 24 - 26 August. [unpublished].
Rahman, M. (2009) 'The potentiality of using Dry Process CRM asphalt mixture as a binder and lower base layer' , MAIREPAVE6, Sixth International Conference on Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Pavement and Technology Control. Torino, Italy. 8 - 10 July. [unpublished].
M. Rahman, G.D. Airey and A.C. Collop. (2005) 'The Mechanical Properties of the Dry process CRM Asphalt Mixtures Following Short-term and Long-term Ageing’, Seventh International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads.' , Seventh International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads. Seventh International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads,Railways and Airfields. Trondheim, Norway. 27 - 29 June. [unpublished].
Airey, G.D., Collop, A.C. and Rahman, M.. (2004) 'Mechanical properties of crumb rubber modified asphalt mixture' , Proc. Eurasphalt and Eurobitume Congress. Vienna, Austria. 12 - 14 May. Foundation Eurasphalt , Breukelen.
Rahman, M. , Airey, GD. and Collop, AC. (2004) 'Laboratory investigation to assess moisture sensitivity of dry process CRM asphalt mixtures' , International Conference on Sustainable Waste Management. Kingston University, UK. 14 - 15 September. Thomas Telford Publishers. 336p.
Airey, GD. , Rahman, M. and Collop, AC. (2003) 'The influence of crude source and penetration: Grade on the interaction of crumb rubber and bitumen' , Asphalt Rubber 2003. Brasilia, Brazil. 2 - 4 December. [unpublished].
Rahman, M. and Thom, N. (2012) Performance of asphalt patch repairs. Place of publication: Institution of Civil Engineers
R. W Jordan, B.W Farne, W. McMahon and M. Rahman. (2009) A charge structure for trenching in the highway. Place of publication: Transport Research Laboratory
Theses / Dissertations
Rahman, M. (2004) CHARACTERISATION OF DRY PROCESS CRUMB RUBBER MODIFIED ASPHALT MIXTURES. PhD Thesis.
Rahman, M. (1998) Finite element modelling of impact echo in concrete defect detection. Master's Thesis.