Dr Mujib Rahman
Senior Lecturer/UG Course Director - Civil Engineering
Howell Building 232
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 267590
CEng, MCIHT, MICE, FHEA
Mujib is a Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering at the School of Engineering and Design, Brunel University London. Prior to his present employment, he was a senior lecturer, and postgraduate programme leader at the Nottingham Trent University and was responsible to lead research in construction engineering and infrastructures.
Mujib’s research career began in early 1999, as a research assistant in the construction robotics centre at the City University London, working on a multi-disciplinary project funded by the EC 4th Framework programme that focused on hydro-erosion for repair of in-situ concrete (HEROIC). From September 2000 to August 2003, he worked in the Nottingham Transportation Engineering Centre (NTEC) at the University of Nottingham, initially as a research assistant, then being promoted to research associate, where he also completed his doctoral research on the fundamental characterisation of dry process modified asphalt mixtures in 2003 (awarded in 2004).
Following the completion of his doctoral research, Mujib spent five years in the industry. During the first three years (2003-2006), he worked as a senior pavement and material engineer at Jacobs UK Ltd served as a project manager and lead engineer, and co-ordinated a pavement design team for several high profile design and rehabilitation projects for national and international clients. In 2005, Mujib completed his professional review and become a Chartered Engineer. In 2006, Mujib joined TRL Limited as a senior researcher and engineer. Here he was responsible for various consultancy and R&D projects, notably for the Highways Agency and Department for Transport.
Mujib has gained extensive research experience on the fundamental characterisation of asphalt and concrete materials, non-destructive based evaluation of civil engineering infrastructures, protection of porous construction materials and condition data analysis. He is author/co-author of over 30 highly regarded international journals and conference articles and has also written over 100 design and consultancy reports for government departments and private organisations. His research is sponsored by EPSRC, EC, Dft, Highways Agency, Institution of Civil Engineers and private organisations.
Mujib has lectured at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels on structural design, structural engineering, advanced construction materials, health monitoring and rehabilitation of surface structures (road, airfield, heavy duty pavement and industrial ground floor), analysis and design of surface structures (road, airfield, heavy duty pavement and industrial ground floor), sustainable infrastructure development and infrastructure management at Nottingham Trent University and at Brunel University London.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE), Nottingham Trent University, 2010
- PhD in Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, 2004
- MSc in Civil Engineering Structures (distinction), City University, London, 1998
- BS in Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (1st Class), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1995
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Member of Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT)
- Fellow in Higher Education Academy (HEA),UK
- Committee Member - Pavement Monitoring and Evaluation, AFD20, Transportation Research Board
- Member of Advisory Council, Department of Civil Engineering, North South University, Bangladesh
- Invited peer reviewer for more than 10 international journals.
- Member of scientific committee and session chairs in a number of international conferences
- External PhD Examiner, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Nottingham,
- Honorary Secretary, Midland Branch, CIHT
- Editorial Board Member-Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture
- Institution of Civil Engineers, East Midland Merit Awards 2013, Studies and Research-Performance of Asphalt Patch Repair
- Conference “Paper of Excellence” -‘The Influence of Crude Source and Penetration Grade on the Interaction of Crumb Rubber and Bitumen’, Asphalt Rubber 2003 Conference, Brasilia, Brazil 2003.
- New approach to managing potholes, Institute of Highway Engineers Annual conference, June 2013
- How many men does it take to fill a hole? An academic study of potholes, Association of Public service Excellence Annual Seminar, Newcastle, UK, March 2013
- Concrete Protection, The University Bologna, ERASMUS exchange programme, 2012
- The Influence of Thermal Segregation on Asphalt Pavement Compaction, Nottingham Asphalt Research Consortium, Nottingham, 2012
- EC3 for dummies, The Institution of Structural Engineers, 2010
- Redefining research, The Nottingham Trent University, 2010
Media Coverage of Research
- A pothole damage breakthrough?, World Highway, April 2013
- BBC Breakfast, UK pothole problems, 9th February 2013
- BBC Radio Nottingham, 12th December 2011 and 8th February 2013
- BBC East-midland, Field trials of pothole repair, May 2012
- Sky news live, Pothole problems is UK, March 14, 2012
- BBC East-midland news, 15th December 2011, Pothole research,
- BBC radio Nottingham Drive time live programme, 14th December 2011, interview on pothole repair performance
- New civil engineer, December 2011, report on pothole research.
Newest selected publications
Mahmood, M., Rahman, M. and Mathavan, S. (Accepted) 'Network Level Multi-Input Deterioration Prediction Model'. Proceedings of the ICE - Transport. ISSN: 0965-092X
Byzyka, J., Chamberlain, D. and Rahman, M. (Accepted) 'Development of advanced temperature distribution model in hot mix asphalt patch repair'. Proceedings of the ICE - Transport. ISSN: 0965-092X Open Access Link
Mathavan, S., Vaheesan, K., Kumar, A., Chandrakumar, C., Kamal, K., Rahman, M. and (2017) 'Detection of Pavement Cracks Using Tiled Fuzzy Hough Transform'. Journal of Electronic Imaging, 26 (5). ISSN: 1017-9909et al.
Al-Kheetan, M., Rahman, M. and Chamberlain, D. (Accepted) 'Remediation and Protection of Masonry Structures with Crystallising Moisture Blocking Treatment'. International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation. ISSN: 2398-4708 Open Access Link
Rahman, M. (2017) 'Themed issue on transport emissions, climate change and air quality'. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Transport, 170 (2). pp. 63 - 64. ISSN: 0965-092X