Pam Alldred’s research and teaching interests are in gender and sexuality, identities and inequalities, particularly in relation to children and young people. Her formation, research and employment has spanned sociology, psychology, education and women’s studies. She has researched sex education and teenage pregnancy, lone mothers and lesbian mothers, professional perspectives on sex education and children’s views of policy, and has also published on qualitative (discursive) research methods. She is currently on the Sex Education and Gender and Education editorial boards and was a member of the Feminist Review Editorial Collective 1997-2011.
- PhD ’Fit to Parent’: Psychology, Knowledge and Popular Debate (University of East London)
- PG Dip. HE (University of Greenwich)
- PG Dip. Cultural Studies (University of East London)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (University of Leicester)
Pam is Deputy Theme Leader for the Welfare, Health and Wellbeing Research Theme, within the Institute for the Environment, Health and Societies. She was Departmental Director for Postgraduate Research 2014-2016, and before that was Programme Lead for the MA in Youth & Community Work and the MA in Youth & Community Studies. She was Director of the Centre for Youth Work Studies (2011-2016).Administration Responsibilities:
Programme Leader for MA Youth and Community Studies, and Acting Programme Leader for MA Youth and Community Work
Grant reviewer for NIHR, and the Dutch Government Research Funding Body
Co-convenor of the Sexualities SIG of BERA (with F Cullen) 2012-2016
- Co-convenor of the Sexualities SIG of BERA (with F Cullen) 2012-2016
- Advisor on research funded by NIHR, the European Health Research Office, Office of the Children's Commissioner, Jewish Women's Aid, Plan UK
- PhD examiner for UK, European and international doctorates.
- Research methods teaching for BA, MA and EdD
- Equalities and anti-discrimination
- Identities and subjectivities
- Sociology of youth and childhood
Newest selected publications
Alldred, P. and Fox, NJ. (Accepted) 'Mixed methods, materialism and the micropolitics of the research-assemblage'. International Journal of Social Research Methodology. ISSN: 1364-5579 Open Access Link
Fox, NJ. and Alldred, P. (2016) 'Sociology and the New Materialism Theory, Research, Action'. SAGE. ISSN 10: 1473987385 ISSN 13: 9781473987388
Fox, NJ. and Alldred, P. (2016) 'Sociology, environment and health: a materialist approach'. Public Health. ISSN: 0033-3506 Open Access Link
Alldred, P. and Fox, NJ. (2016) 'Materialism, micropolitics and the sexuality-assemblages of young men', in King, A., Santos, AC. and Crowhurst, I. (eds.) Sexualities Research: Critical Interjections, Diverse Methodologies and Practical Applications.. London : Routledge.
Alldred, P. and Biglia, B. (2015) 'Gender-Related Violence and Young People: An Overview of Italian, Irish, Spanish, UK and EU Legislation'. Children & Society, 29 (6). pp. 662 - 675. ISSN: 0951-0605 Open Access Link