My research covers a range of topics related to the development and application of analytical techniques for the determination of environmental contaminants for assessing animal and human exposure to compounds in the environment. My work is involved in the determination of the removal of priority pollutants and emerging hazardous substances in wastewater treatment plants and the study of the fate and behavior of these chemicals in the aquatic and terrestrial environment using high resolution MS and MS/MS based techniques. Key areas of my research are concerned with the determination of the formation and occurrence of disinfection-by-products and the identification of metabolites and breakdown products of organic compounds in potable and wastewater samples. My research also involves the development of new strategies in data interpretation using spectral and chromatographic deconvolution and chemometric methods to address unknown hazards or “unknown unknowns”.
PhD Environmental Analytical Chemistry, The University of Reading MSc Analytical Chemistry and Instrumentation, Loughborough University Chartered Chemist and Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (CChem, FRSC)
- 2016 to Present, Vice Dean International, College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London
- 2013 to Present, Professor in the Institute of Environment, Health and Societies and College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London
- 2005-2012 Principal Research Scientist, Severn Trent Laboratories, Reading
- 1992-2005 Principal Scientist, WRc-NSF, Medmenham
- 1990-1992 Research Scientist, Water Research Centre, Medmenham
- College International Strategy Group (Chair)
- College Research Strategy Group (Member)
- College Management Board (Member)
- College Education Committe (Member)
- University International Collaborations & Strategy Committe (Member)
Newest selected publications
Tang, LL., Denardo, MA., Schuler, CJ., Mills, MR., Gayathri, C., Gil, RR., (2016) 'Homogeneous Catalysis Under Ultra-Dilute Conditions: TAML/NaClO Oxidation of Persistent Metaldehyde'. Journal of the American Chemical Society.Open Access Linket al.
Beresford, N., Baynes, AL., Kanda, R., Mills, M., Arias-Salazar, K., Collins, TJ. and (2016) 'Use of a battery of chemical and ecotoxicological methods for the assessment of the efficacy of wastewater treatment processes to remove estrogenic potency'. Journal of Visualized Experiments. ISSN: 1940-087X Open Access Linket al.
Tang, LL., DeNardo, MA., Gayathri, C., Gil, RR., Kanda, R. and Collins, TJ. (2016) 'TAML/H2O2 Oxidative Degradation of Metaldehyde: Pursuing Better Water Treatment for the Most Persistent Pollutants.'. Environ Sci Technol.Open Access Link
Bond, T., Templeton, MR., Mokhtar Kamal, NH., Graham, N. and Kanda, R. (2015) 'Nitrogenous disinfection byproducts in English drinking water supply systems: Occurrence, bromine substitution and correlation analysis.'. Water Res, 85. pp. 85 - 94.Open Access Link
Mills, MR., Arias-Salazar, K., Baynes, A., Shen, LQ., Churchley, J., Beresford, N., (2015) 'Removal of ecotoxicity of 17α-ethinylestradiol using TAML/peroxide water treatment'. Scientific Reports, 5.Open Access Linket al.