My research is focused on the development of analytical techniques for the determination of environmental contaminants to assess animal and human exposure to compounds in the environment. My research involves the removal of micropollutants and emerging hazardous substances from wastewater and the study of the fate and behaviour of these chemicals in the aquatic and terrestrial environment using high resolution MS and MS/MS based techniques. Key areas of my research are concerned with the determination of the formation and occurrence of disinfection-by-products and the identification of metabolites and breakdown products of organic compounds in potable and wastewater samples. My research also involves the development of new strategies in data interpretation using spectral and chromatographic deconvolution and chemometric methods to address unknown hazards or “unknown unknowns”. As Vice Dean International I am responsible for developing the internationalisation and global engagement strategy of the College of Health and Life Sciences through the development of strategic education and research partnerships with international institutes.
- PhD Environmental Chemistry, The University of Reading
- MSc Analytical Chemistry and Instrumentation, Loughborough University
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, Chartered Chemist
- 2016 to Present, Vice Dean International, College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London
- 2013 to Present, Professor in the Institute of Environment, Health and Societies and College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London
- 2005-2012 Principal Research Scientist, Severn Trent Laboratories, Reading
- 1999-2005 Principal Scientist, Water Research Centre (WRc-NSF), Medmenham
- 1990-1999 Principal Scientist, Water Research Centre (WRc), Medmenham
- College International Strategy Group (Chair)
- College Research Strategy Group (Member)
- College Management Board (Member)
- College Education Committe (Member)
- University International Collaborations & Strategy Committe (Member)
Newest selected publications
Kanda, R. (2017) 'Removal of priority hazardous pollutants in municipal sewage effluent to meet environmental quality standards of the European Water Framework Directive using TAML Activators'.253rd National Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS) on Advanced Materials, Technologies, Systems, and Processes. San Francisco, CA. 2 - 6 April ISSN: 0065-7727 Open Access Link
Sfynia, C., Bond, T., Ganidi, N., Kanda, R. and Templeton, MR. (2017) 'Predicting the Formation of Haloacetonitriles and Haloacetamides by Simulated Distribution System Tests'.18th International Conference on Water Distribution System Analysis (WDSA). Univ Andes, Dept Civil & Environm Engn, Cartagena, COLOMBIA. 1 - 28 July ISSN: 1877-7058 Open Access Link
Tang, LL., Denardo, MA., Schuler, CJ., Mills, MR., Gayathri, C., Gil, RR., (2016) 'Homogeneous Catalysis Under Ultra-Dilute Conditions: TAML/NaClO Oxidation of Persistent Metaldehyde'. Journal of the American Chemical Society.Open Access Linket al.
Beresford, N., Baynes, AL., Kanda, R., Mills, M., Arias-Salazar, K., Collins, TJ. and (2016) 'Use of a battery of chemical and ecotoxicological methods for the assessment of the efficacy of wastewater treatment processes to remove estrogenic potency'. Journal of Visualized Experiments. ISSN: 1940-087X Open Access Linket al.
Tang, LL., DeNardo, MA., Gayathri, C., Gil, RR., Kanda, R. and Collins, TJ. (2016) 'TAML/H2O2 Oxidative Degradation of Metaldehyde: Pursuing Better Water Treatment for the Most Persistent Pollutants.'. Environ Sci Technol.Open Access Link