Politics and History is a well-established, interdisciplinary community of scholars that regularly scores highly for research and teaching excellence. Our research-active, committed staff offer innovative degree programmes in contemporary politics and history, and provide cutting-edge teaching.
We have a superb research record with 64% rated as being World Leading or Internationally Excellent in REF2014, placing us 12th in the UK for REF Intensity. Our NSS results have placed us as best in the UK over the last two years for student satisfaction, and internationally we are in the QS ranking top 150 for Politics & International Studies. Brunel University London ranks in the top 250 World Universities in the most recent THE league table.
In their freetext comments for the 2014 NSS, our students recognised several of our major strengths:
- Our range of interesting modules that are taught by knowledgeable and enthusiastic staff
- Our approachable lecturers who respond to emails swiftly and are happy to meet students outside of office hours
- Our policy of returning coursework promptly and with useful feedback that enables students to hone their writing skills
- Our fantastic opportunities for students to spend a year abroad or go on a work placement
- Our genuine sense of community between academics and students
As one student put it, in Politics and History at Brunel ‘students are the main focus of all decisions made’.
We also have a very active social media presence, and you can follow our updates on Twitter (@PolHistBrunel) or Facebook