5th Annual Student Research Conference 2012
* ResCon12 Prize winners list is now available.
- ResCon12 Programme is now available.
- ResCon12 poster presentation list is now available.
- Please note the poster procedure is now available.
Students should note that all School funding for external conferences is linked to students presenting at ResCon. The penalty for not submitting an abstract to ResCon12 will be to jeopardise your opportunity for any future School funding to external conferences.
ResCon'12 is the 5th annual research student conference sponsored by the School of Engineering & Design, along with a contribution from the Graduate School. The conference aims at providing research students with the opportunity to practice their presentation skills and present their findings to their colleagues, academic staff and industrial collaborators.
The conference will be held between the 18 – 20 June 2012 in the Newton Rooms, Hamilton Centre.
ResCon12 conference will be significantly larger. The School is linking progression to the conference, which is compulsory for all SED research students. The format of the conference is to change because of the numbers involved. Each subject area will have academic members on the committee, working with nominated research students, organising their own sessions. All groups will conform to the same procedures, attend joint meetings, be linked to the School website and use the same templates for pp presentations, abstracts and posters. The poster session for all the subject areas will take place in the same venue.
ResCon12 Committee Members
- AMEE – Dr Harris Makatsoris with research student Rajab Alsayegh
- ECE – Dr Jo Cole and Dr David Smith with research students Mohammadreza Behjati, Hamdullah Mohib and Duncan Leggat
- Civil – Prof John Bull with research student Nihad Salih
- Design – Dr Hua Dong with research students Koogin Han, Rafael Mello and Yu-Han Wang
- Mech Eng – Dr Bin Wang and Dr Jun Xia with research student Chao Xu
- Prof Luiz Wrobel, Deputy Head of School (Research)
- Carole Carr, Manager – Research Office
- Janet Wheeler and Rebecca Byrne, Research Office
The ResCon committee are currently in discussions regarding the timetable of the sessions. This will be announced as soon as possible.
We are pleased to announce there will be £6K for prizes this year! The prize allocation is as follows;
Academic staff on the ResCon Committee will select the best abstracts from their subject areas. There will be a 1st prize of £300, 2nd prize of £250 and 3 prizes of £150
The oral presentations will be reviewed by supervisors and an independent reviewer. The academic members of the ResCon committee will select the winners of the oral presentations from their subject areas.
- ECE - 1st prize of £600, 2nd prize of 400 and 3rd prize of £200
- Mech Eng - 1st prize of £600, 2nd prize of £400
- Design - 1st prize of £600
- AMEE - 1st prize of £600
- Civil - 1st prize of £600
The poster presentations will be reviewed by supervisors and an independent reviewer. A shortlist of 10 posters will be reviewed by Dr Kate Hone, Graduate School. There will be a 1st prize of £300, 2nd prize of £250 and 3 prizes of £150
The winners will be announced after the ResCon Panel meeting takes place on Friday 22nd June. The prize giving lunch is being held on Wednesday 27th June at 12.30 in ML362.
Please contact Carole Carr, Manager – Research Office for further information.