Office: Room TD303, Tower D
PhD Supervisor: Prof. W. BALACHANDRAN, Dr. M. ABBOD
Research Area: Simultaneous Measurement of Size and Charge Distribution of Pharmaceutical Drug Aerosols using Phase Doppler Anemometer
Sponsoring Organization: Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and PFIZER Inc.
- 2008 - PhD Student, Brunel University, United Kingdom.
- 2007 – 2008 MSc by Research - Electrical Engineering and Fluid Mechanics, University of Poitiers, France.
- 2002 - 2007 Engineer Diploma BSc. (Hons) in Electrical Engineering, Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
Research Interests: Medical Electrostatics, Charge Particle Dynamics of Pharmaceutical aerosols, Electrohydrodynamics Atomization & Spray Systems (Micro and Nano droplets/particles), Phase Doppler Anemometry, Dry Powder Inhalers Development, Respiratory Care.
Electrostatic properties of pharmaceutical aerosols dispensed by dry powder inhaler (DPI) devices have emerged as a crucial element in the pulmonary drug delivery research. The delivery of a drug to the lungs can only be achieved by a combination of inhaler device and drug formulation which is capable of producing an aerosol of an aerodynamic diameter smaller than 5 μm and of appropriate charge. The aerosols generated by these devices are often bipolarly charged and can influence specific site deposition in human lung. By controlling the electrostatic charge generated by tribielectrification, it may be possible to achieve the desired drug deposition in the airways. This would require a systematic study of the bipolar charge distribution. There exists a considerable variety of different measurement techniques and instruments used to measure the electrical charge on aerosol particles. In the case of the aerosol released from an inhaler device, there is a need for a real time, non-invasive measuring method in order to characterize the aerosols and reveal their bipolar nature. Such effective methods are developed in the Centre for Electronic Systems Research at Brunel University. The aim of this programme of research is to use Phase Doppler Analyser in conjunction with external electric field to monitor bipolar charge of pharmaceutical aerosols.
Phase Doppler Anemometer System Set-up and Scanning Electron Microscope
Photos of a Lactose Monohydrate sample.
The data sets obtained from measurements can then be correlated with anatomically realistic respiratory airways and computation fluid dynamics (CFD) models of the human respiratory system. Bipolary charged dispensed ultrafine particles are inhaled through the extrathoracic and tracheobronchial airways down into the alveolar region. A three dimensional (3D) reconstruction of the respiratory system can be achieved from two dimensional (2D) images obtained from computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and cryosectioned images. The findings of this study provide a better understanding of the interaction between specific active ingredients and DPI devices, while results may be used in designing future generation DPI devices and a better understanding of aerosol transport and deposition efficiency within the human airways.
- Beleca, R., Abbod, M., Balachandran, W., Miller, P.R., 2010. “Investigation of Electrostatic Properties of Pharmaceutical Powders using Phase Doppler Anemometry,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 46 (3), pp. 1181 - 1187.
- Dascalescu, L., Dragan, C., Bilici, M., Beleca, R., Hemery, Y., Rouau, X., 2010. Electrostatic Basis for Separation of Wheat Bran Tissues. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 46 (2), pp. 659-665.
- Blajan, M., Beleca, R., Iuga, A., Dascalescu, L., 2010. Triboelectrification of Granular Plastic Wastes in Vibrated Zigzag Shaped Square Pipes in View of Electrostatic Separation. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 46 (4), pp. 1558 – 1563.
- Hemery, Y., Roualt, X., Dragan, C., Bilici, M., Beleca, R., Dascalescu, L., 2009. Electrostatic properties of wheat bran and its constitutive layers: Influence of particle size, composition, and moisture content. Journal of Food Engineering, 93(1), p. 114-124.
- Das, S., Medles, K., Mihalcioiu, A., Beleca, R., Dragan, C., Dascalescu, L., 2008. Factors that influence the tribocharging of pulverulent materials in compressed-air devices. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 142(1), p. 1-6.
- Mihailescu, M., Dascalescu, L., Iuga, A., Beleca, R., 2006. Advantages in using GIS (Geographic Information System) for the management of waste IT&Tc equipment. Geographia Technica 2, pp. 81-86.
- Samuila, A., Blajan, M., Beleca, R., Huzau, M., Morar, R., Dascalascu, L., Iuga, A., 2005. Modeling of wire corona electrode operation in electrostatic separation at small and large gaps. Journal of Electrostatics 63, pp. 955-960.
- Iuga, A., Morar, R., Neamtu, V., Samuila, A., Micle, V., Beleca, R., Tofana, V., Dascalescu, L., 2006. A concept of a Pilot Centre for material recovery from IT&Telecommunication wastes in Romania. Romanian Environmental Association Journal GETRADE, (1).
Referred Conference Publications:
- Beleca, R., Miao, P., Balachandran, W., 2010. Experimental study on charging behavior of bio-fuels sprays generated by an annular electrostatic atomizer. ILASS – Europe 2010, 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, 6-8 September, Brno, Czech Republic.
- Beleca, R., Abbod, M., Balachandran, W., Ahern, J., Miller, P.R., 2010. Electrostatic Properties of DPI Dispensed Drug Aerosols in a Human Upper Airway Model. Proceedings of the 2010 Electrostatic Society of America Annual Meeting, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. 2010.
- Beleca, R., Abbod, M., Balachandran, W., Miller, P.R., 2010. Measurement of Bipolar Charge Distribution of Lactose Monohydrate using Phase Doppler Anemometry. Respiratory Drug Delivery Conference, April 25-29. Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
- Beleca, R., Abbod, M., Balachandran, W., Miller, P.R., 2009. Investigation of Electrostatic Properties of Pharmaceutical Powders using Phase Doppler Anemometry. ESA 2009 Joint Electrostatic Conference, June 16-18, Boston University, Boston, U.S.A.
- Blajan, M., Beleca, R., Iuga, A., Dascalescu, L., 2009. Triboelectrification of Granular Plastic Wastes in Vibrated Zigzag Shaped Square Pipes in View of Electrostatic Separation. ESA 2009 Joint Electrostatic Conference, June 16-18, Boston University, Boston, U.S.A.
- Dascalescu, L., Dragan, C., Bilici, M., Beleca, R., Hemery, Y., Rouau, X., 2008. Premises for the Electrostatic Separation of Wheat Bran Tissues. IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, 5-9 October, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Y. Hemery, X. Roualt, C. Dragan, M. Bilici, R. Beleca, L. Dascalescu, “Electrostatic Properties of Wheat Bran Tissues”, 6th Conference of the French Electrostatics Society, 7-9 July, 2008, Paris, France.
- Iuga, A., A. Samuila, V. Neamtu, R. Beleca, S. Das, R. Morar, L. Dascalescu, “Electrostatic Separation Methods for Metal Removal from ABS Wastes”, 42nd IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, 23-27 September, 2007, New Orleans, U.S.A.
- S. Das, K. Medles, A. Mihalcioiu, R. Beleca, L. Dascalescu, “Factors that Influence the Tribocharging of Pulverent Materials in Compressed-air Devices”, 12th International Conference in Electrostatics, “Electrostatics 2007”, March 26-29, 2007, St. Catherine’s College, Oxford, UK.
- M. Blajan, A. Samuila, V. Neamtu, R. Beleca, R. Morar, A. Iuga, L. Dascalescu, “Triboelectrification in Vibrated Zigzag Shaped Metallic Tubes in View of Electrostatic Separation”, 5th International Workshop “Materials for Electrical Engineering” joint with the 3rd International Conference IEEE-ROMSC, June 15-17, 2006, Bucharest, Romania.
- M. Blajan, A. Samuila, V. Neamtu, R. Beleca, L. Caliap, A. Iuga, L. Dascalescu, “Experimental modelling of particle electrification in vibrated zigzag shaped mettalic tubes”, ESA 2006 Annual Conference, June 6-9, 2006, University of California at Berkeley, California.
- Samuila, A., M. Blajan, R. Beleca, M. Huzau, R. Morar, L. Dascalascu, Iuga, A., 2005. Modeling of wire corona electrode operation in electrostatic separation at small and large gaps. 10th International Conference in Electrostatics, June 15-17, 2005, Helsinki, Finland.
- Iuga, A., Samuila, A., Blajan, M., Beleca, R., Morar, R., Dascalescu, L., 2004. Characterization of wire corona electrodes at various discharge gaps in electrostatic separation processes. 39th IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, 3-7 October, 2004, Seattle, U.S.A.
- High Intensity Field Laboratory, Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, “E-research in electrostatics”, December 2006, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.