- The NRPhD programme is offered in Electronic & Computer Engineering, Advanced Manufacturing & Enterprise Engineering (AMEE) , Mechanical Engineering and Design. For further information please see Graduate School webpages and view the NRPhD Brochure.
For more details please view:
Alongside the Graduate School's researcher development programme, research students in the School of Engineering & Design are provided with research training within their discipline-areas. The School provides high quality research training in a stimulating, intellectually-intensive environment. The School also provides a spectrum of advanced engineering software training.
The School of Engineering and Design offers a wide range of research programmes in a stimulating and supportive environment. We have an international reputation for fundamental and applied research in many areas of electronic and computer engineering; mechanical, automotive and aerospace engineering; design; advanced manufacturing engineering and management; and civil engineering and built environment.
Research programmes offered in the School of Engineering and Design include MPhil, PhD and New Route PhD. Applicants for all research programmes will normally be expected to hold a good honours degree in a relevant academic discipline.
Research activities and projects in the School are mainly carried out in collaboration with partners from industry, as well as universities and scientific organisations in the UK and abroad. We receive research funding from the EPSRC, TSB, European Union, Governmental departments and a large number of industrial companies. This informs the relevance and direction of our research, and enables us to provide a wide range of collaborative opportunities and challenging research experiences for our students.
To remain at the forefront of developments, we adopt a flexible structure which provides the ability to form smaller groups from across the School and across the University to address research challenges and emerging technologies in a fast developing multidisciplinary environment.
Our students benefit from an international community of researchers from many countries and will have access to sophisticated, state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. They will form part of a vibrant research culture, contribute to the School annual research conference, be encouraged to present their results at external conferences and engage fully with the activities of their research groups.
How to Apply
How to Apply
You may apply online for research programmes in the School of Engineering & Design. Please select the programme you wish to apply for then follow the instructions. If you are unable to use the online facility, or have any difficulties, please Contact Admissions.
In order to fully complete the application process, you will also need to submit the following documents with the completed application form:
- A research proposal following the School’s guidelines – see instructions.
- Copies of transcripts and/or certificates of previous higher education qualifications.
- 2 satisfactory references (at least one of which must be academic). For the online form you will be asked to provide the email addresses of your referees and we will email them directly.
- For EU/International students only: Certified proof of English language, further information available: English language requirements
- Full details of your employment and education history.
- For further information please contact email@example.com