Heritage Builds Bridges - Hillingdon Local Studies
The Hillingdon local collections reflect all aspects of the history of the area -- people, places and events.
The archives range in date from the twelfth century Market Charter for Uxbridge to the records of the Middlesex Show of the 1990s. Local businesses, societies and estates are all represented. An important collection is the archive of the Minet estates in Hayes from 1766 to recent years. Local churches, especially non-conformist, and local government, particularly the predecessors of the London Borough of Hillingdon can be seen here.
At present these are catalogued by index cards and some typed lists.
The photographs and illustrations range from eighteenth century prints, early nineteenth century photographs and the archive of the Gazette newspaper from 1929 to 1979.
The museum collection has objects reflecting daily life in the area, especially in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Most of this is kept in storage. The collection also includes printed materials and maps which are recorded on the main library catalogue.