Maria Grey College Archives
Maria Grey was the creator of the National Union for improving the Education of Women of all classes, a pressure group formed to state a case for women's rights to professional recognition as teachers. The Union initiated two major schemes: the Girl's Public Day School Company and the Teachers' Training & Registration Society (TTRS), set up in 1876.
The TTRS opened a college on 1st May 1878 in Bishopsgate, London, adopting the name 'Maria Grey College' in March 1886. In 1946 the college moved to Twickenham, merging in 1976 with Borough Road College and Chiswick Polytechnic to form the West London Institute of Higher Education.
Holdings in brief
The Maria Grey College Archives contains the records of the college from its origins in 1876 to its incorporation to form the West London Institute of Higher Education in 1976.
It documents the governance of the College, including the academic board, council, and committees, staffing and student matters, information on courses, student progress, college organisations, prospectuses, college magazines and photographs from 1881.
Transcript of Maria Grey Training College List of Students 1879 - 1911, with additional biographical information from student magazines.
The Murray Collection came to Brunel University Archives from the E.R.Murray Memorial Library at Maria Grey College. Further information on this collection can be found below:
The catalogue of the Murray Collection books can be found in our archive catalogue. Go to https://archivesearch.brunel.ac.uk/calmview/ and search for "Murray Collection".