Information skills, which are drawn upon at all stages of planning and preparing coursework and research, are a key requirement for any student or researcher. Information skills are a transferable set of skills which are important both while at university, and after graduation.
With effective information skills you will be able to:
- identify the information you need
- select the most appropriate places to look for this information
- plan a literature search
- use subscription and freely available resources to conduct your search
- evaluate the results you retrieve and their relevance to your research.
The Library offers a range of information skills training sessions which run throughout the year. We also provide guides, factsheets and online materials for you to refer to.
Information Skills training sessions, drop-ins and one-to-one appointments
Subject Liaison Librarians from the Academic Services team offer a range of information skills training. Generic and subject specific sessions are held in the Library throughout the year, and your Subject Liaison Librarian will also offer training within lectures and seminars as part of the curriculum.
Sessions may include:
- introduction to library resources
- how to plan a literature search
- finding relevant information from subscription resources and the internet
- hands-on search practice
- using specialist information resources, like raw data or market research databases
- exporting references to bibliographic software.
If you are an academic wishing to organise information skills sessions for your module, please contact your Subject Liaison Librarian. Training sessions can be tailored to the needs of your students.
Information skills sessions specifically aimed at postgraduate students and researchers are also delivered by librarians as part of the Graduate School core skills programme.
Additionally, Subject Liaison Librarians offer information skills advice at the LibSmart Point in the Learning Commons on the first floor of the Library. Help will be available 1-6pm Monday - Thursday, 1-5pm Fridays.
Useful links and resources
Information on subject specific resources and support, including introductory factsheets for each subject area and contact details for your Subject Librarian, can be found on our Subject pages.
The Academic Skills pages includes information on resources and support for academic skills such as essay writing, and mathematics and statistics.