FAQs about BRAD and BURA

What is the difference between BRAD and BURA?

BRAD is the University’s research publications database and aims to provide a comprehensive list of all of Brunel’s research papers. It is only visible internally to registered Brunel researchers and research administrators. BURA disseminates and showcases the publications in BRAD by making the full-text freely available to the public via the Internet, subject to copyright permissions. 

How do I add my publications to BRAD and BURA?

You can find information on using BRAD for the first time and how to how to login in IntraBrunel. You only need to deposit your publications in BRAD, which will send your publication to the BURA team, who will then archive your publication in BURA, checking publisher copyright policies, embargo periods and file versions.

You need to add your publication details to BRAD as soon as it has been accepted for publication, to comply with HEFCE's requirements for the REF. From My Publications, enter the title and other details. Choose any licence (CC-BY or CC-BY-NC) to let you upload the file, this option is not currently used at Brunel.

Older pending publications will be discoverable under My Actions, where you will be presented with a list of potential publications found by BRAD through periodic searches of linked data sources for you to review and then claim or reject as appropriate.

Which versions of my publications should I add to BURA?

Publishers generally allow one of three versions of an article to be added to BURA:

  1. Pre-print, the version of the paper before peer review
  2. Post-print, the final author version of the paper after peer review, with revisions having been made, but without any formatting or branding by the publisher.
  3. The published pdf version

Ideally you should keep each version of your article until the permitted version has been archived in BURA. Please note that for research publications which are likely to be submitted to the REF, the version in BRAD and on BURA must be at least the final peer-reviewed draft, with corrections.   

What about copyright?

You can check the copyright policy which applies to your publications by using the SHERPA-RoMEO website. The publisher’s policy will indicate which version of a journal article can be added to BURA and any other restrictions, e.g. embargo periods, etc. You will normally need to keep your final peer-reviewed author draft, and deposit this in BRAD.

In some cases the publisher will own the copyright of the article, and even where you have opted for open access publication and retain copyright in the text, the publisher will own copyright in the typographical format of the work. Therefore, the publisher's proof can only be deposited where this is authorised by the publisher.

If you want to ensure that all of your papers can be added to BURA, and have not chosen a Gold open access option, you may wish to consider asking publishers to agree to a licence to publish rather than signing their standard copyright transfer agreement. Jisc and SURF (the equivalent organisation in the Netherlands) have created a licence to publish that you can use to retain the copyright in your own works while giving the journal or book publisher the rights to publish. The site also provides sample wording for various options in case you or your publisher would like to amend a publishing agreement in certain circumstances. Granting permission to include your paper(s) in BURA does not affect the copyright.

What kind of material can be deposited in BURA?

The BURA Content Policy specifies the types of materials that can be added to BURA. Teaching materials are not generally added to BURA; these can be archived in JORUM, a free online repository service for teaching and support staff.

What types of files can I add to BURA?

See the list of file formats supported in BURA.

What is the Brunel Open Access Mandate?

In September 2009 Senate implemented the mandate that “from January 2010, all staff are expected to place new research publications in the University’s research archive, BURA, subject to publishers’ copyright permissions.” The Mandate has been revised in line with new open access requirements and is published on Brunel's policies web page along with the University's Open Access Policy in the Research Integrity Code

How can I get funding to publish in open access journals?

You can apply to the Brunel Open Access Publishing Fund for money to publish an article in either an open access journal or in a hybrid journal (traditional journal that provides an open access option). From April 2013, all UK publishers are expected to offer an open access publishing option. Some funders and the REF require you to publish using open access mechanisms. For information on applying for funding and complying with funder requirements see Open access publishing.  

What happens if I leave the University?

If you leave Brunel, your papers in BURA will be retained in perpetuity.

How do I find out more?

For further information, please contact the Research Publications team:

BRAD brad@brunel.ac.uk

BURA bura@brunel.ac.uk

See also related Library FAQs.

Page last updated: Tuesday 31 January 2017