Careers advice and guidance
The Placement and Careers Centre has a team of seven Careers Consultants who work with students throughout your time at Brunel, and for two years after you graduate to identify potential career options and successfully negotiate the recruitment process.
Identifying career options
- It doesn’t matter if you are undecided about your future career, we will work with you to identify the options that relate to your degree and draw upon the skills you have developed
- If you have a clear idea of where you want to be, we can work with you to develop industry contacts, source relevant events and work experience opportunities
Considering postgraduate study
- We can help you assess the benefits of postgraduate qualifications as well as support you through the application process including advice about personal statements
Enhancing your employability
- We can advise on how to secure course-related work experience and extra-curricular activity that will enhance your employability as a graduate
We have strong links with different industries and professions and because we work with particular caseloads, we are best placed to ensure you receive the information, advice and guidance that meets your individual needs. Careers Consultants are all accredited with a professional qualification and are constantly researching and updating their areas of expertise. As members of a professional association we also have access to a network of guidance practitioners across the country.
Meeting your Careers Consultant
If you are looking for careers advice and guidance there are two ways that you can talk individually with a Careers Consultant - Quick Query or a booked appointment.
Designed for short discussions, it is available daily, and you can book a time on the day that you would like to see a Consultant. These 15 minute appointments are on a one-to-one basis and typical discussion points include:
- CV, application or covering letter checks. You may find it helpful to look at our examples before you come along
- Course change and transfers
- Postgraduate study
- Gap year/work experience activities
- Ideas about what careers might suit you
Just a few things to remember:
- Bring a hard copy of anything you want to get checked
- Time slots are reserved on a 'first come, first served' basis so, if you are working to a deadline, you may like to contact us first thing on the day that you want an appointment
- Please let us know if you have any special needs and would like some help to make your visit to the PCC easier
About Quick Query appointments:
- Term-time: 11.30am-3.30pm Monday-Friday
- Vacation: 2.00-4.00pm Monday-Friday
- Sessions are covered on a rota basis and you can find out who is on duty in advance
If you have a specific inquiry about options related to your subject or would like help with in depth issues, you may find it more useful to book a longer appointment to see the Careers Consultant who is responsible for your subject.
How to book
To reserve a time, just contact us from 9.30am on the day you would like an appointment by:
- Visiting the Placement & Careers Centre, 1st Floor, Bannerman Centre, or
- Phoning the Careers Desk from 9:30am on +44 (0)1895 266840
These are for more in depth discussions and are booked in advance with the Careers Consultant who is responsible for your course. If you can let us know what you would like to discuss, we can make sure you get the most out of your appointment.
How to book
Useful information that will help us make sure you see the right person:
- your name
- your Student ID Number
- course and year of study/graduation
- contact details
- brief description of your query
- suggested times you are available
If you receive an 'out of office' message from your Careers Consultant and you would like to discuss an urgent careers issue, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +44 (0)1895 266840 and another Consultant will respond to you.