Securing a sandwich placement
The Placement team here in the Placement and Careers Centre (PCC) works with students on sandwich placement courses where typically either one year (or two separate periods of up to six months) is spent in an organisation undertaking a role that is directly relevant to your degree studies. Please check with your college or department to find out if the course you enrolled on offers the sandwich option.
The PCC facilitates student placements search in a variety of ways. We have well–established links with a wide range of both public and private sector employers. In addition, each School has long-standing links with employers, as well as its own dedicated placement officer who has a detailed understanding of the specific market sector.
Last year the team placed over 900 students in a wide range of industries, banking firms, government departments and not for profit organisations.
Benefits of a work placement
- Broaden your knowledge base: Your academic studies can be enriched by the new perspectives, experience and enhanced skills that you will bring from your critical reflection on work experience.
- Get a better degree result: There is clear evidence in our own institution that students who take sandwich courses get better degree results than those who don't.
- Develop key employability skills: A work placement provides the opportunity for you to develop personal and social skills within a workplace environment.
- Gain a better understanding about career choices: A work placement will let you ‘try' a career role without committing yourself permanently, will give you an insight into the operations of a specific employer and give you new ideas about career options
- Get a graduate job: A work placement will give you a competitive edge when it comes to applying for graduate jobs and is a great way of building contacts. Employers value those graduates who have knowledge of the way businesses operate and look for those who have had some work experience.
- Broaden your horizons: You can undertake a placement anywhere in the UK– or even another country! If the placement is spent abroad you may have the opportunity to learn a new language and experience another culture.
- Earn Money: Many placements can be well paid
All the placement vacancies are advertised on Blackboard Learn. Once you have completed your placement registration form you will be given access to the site. If you are having problems accessing the Blackboard Learn site, please contact a member of the Placement team.