Benefits of sandwich placement
Brunel offers a wide range of courses in which placements are an integral part of the course. Students who choose this option typically spend either one year (or two separate periods of up to six months) in an organisation undertaking a job role that is directly relevant to your degree studies. We have well established links with a wide range of both public and private sector employers and a team of Placement staff to help you find a placement and support you through the application process.
Last year the Placement team placed over 900 students in a wide range of industries, banking firms, government departments and not for profit organisations.
As the cost of university fees rise you may be tempted to focus on getting through your university studies as quickly as possible but the advantage sandwich placement brings is considerable and increasing year on year. These benefits include:
- Broadening your knowledge base - new perspectives and idea will enrich your academic studies
- Improving your study skills - greater self motivation, application and time management when you return to university in your final year
- Developing key skills in the work place - evidence of team work, communication and organisation required by graduate recruiters
- Enhancing your job prospects on graduation - research has shown that Brunel students who take the sandwich placement option are more successful in terms of their employment outcomes on graduating
- Broadening your horizons in terms of job role and location - in the UK and overseas
- Earning money while you work and after you graduate - 2010 Brunel placement leavers earned on average £4,412 more in annual salary than their non-placement peers six months after graduating
Read more about sandwich placements and how the Placement team supports placement students.