Retail and Sales
Research your future career - how do I do this?
Once you’ve done some general research into your career of interest, you may want to investigate your sector in a bit more detail. We’ve compiled some resources for you including useful websites, recruitment specialists and professional organisations.
It’s important to remember that these are more than just potential sources for vacancies; keeping informed about industry news will really help you when it comes to answering interview questions and preparing applications that stand out from the crowd.
Placement and Careers Centre (PCC)
Whether you are at the beginning of exploring your career options, or have a good idea about what you want to do, the PCC are here to help. For initial discussions you can come to Quick Query or if you need more time you can book an appointment direct with your Careers Consultant.
Our LibraryThing online resource enables you to browse the reference books available to use in the PCC. Just drop-in Monday-Friday 9.30am-4.45pm and browse the books available.
Research your sector
- Computer Retail Week News and events in the IT sector
- Drapers Record News and jobs in this sector
- Franchise Opportunities Directory of franchise opportunities and business franchises for sale
- Industry Insight Agcas publication providing information about retail (view as pdf)
- Inside Careers - Retail Management Extensive and detailed career guide in this sector - access careers advice, company A-Z, graduate vacancies, work experience, further study, deadlines and events
- Inside Careers - Sales Extensive and detailed career guide in this sector - access careers advice, company A-Z, graduate vacancies, work experience, further study, deadlines and events
- Prospects Job Sectors An overview of the retail and sales sector
- Retail Bulletin Retail news resource
- Talking Retail Grocery retail news
- Target Retail and Sales Areas of work in this sector, graduate jobs and schemes, work experience opportunities
- Telegraph Retail and consumer news, analysis and share prices on Britain's biggest retail and consumer companies
- The Appointment Careers magazine for retail, fashion and leisure
Sources for vacancies
- Bladen, Taylor & Associates (bta) Specialises in sales and marketing recruitment
- Denza Specialises in fashion retail recruitment
- Guardian Jobs Browse sales jobs or sign up for email alerts
- Hays Retail Selection of retail jobs
- Inretail Comprehensive retail recruitment website. Search by job category in this sector and / or by location
- jobsinretail JobsinRetail features all kinds of permanent jobs, contract jobs, temporary jobs and part-time jobs in Retail. Search for all kinds of jobs by location, industry sector, job type or salary level
- JobsinSalesandMarketing This website features a variety of temporary and permanent jobs in sales and marketing and also contains a keyword search to help identify graduate vacancies
- Media Exchange For opportunities in media sales
- Retail Careers Job search facility in the retail sector
- Retail Week Latest retail sector news, analysis and market data. Has job listings - search by UK location or by job category
- retailmoves Specialist retail recruitment site
- SalesRoles Niche sales job board advertising sales jobs for recruiters and employers searchable by job sector or UK location
- Simply Sales Jobs Specialist online job site for sales jobs. Search by UK location or by type of sales job - includes field sales, sales executive roles, IT sales jobs, direct sales, telesales and sales manager roles
- totaljobs has a new section dedicated to retail jobs with jobs advertised UK-wide
You may find vacancies here, but you can also use these links to increase your knowledge of your chosen job type.
- British Franchise Association Help and advice about franchising
- British Independent Retailers Association (bira) Trade association for independent retailers in the UK, representing approximately 7,500 members from single retail outlets to small chains, dealers, suppliers, manufacturers and distributors
- British Retail Consortium Trade association for the UK retail industry. Includes news, events and business information
- Customer Contact Association (CCA) The professional body for customer contact centres
- Chartered Institute of Marketing Professional development advice, sector industry knowledge base, news and events
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply An international education and qualification body representing purchasing and supply chain professionals
- Institute of Export Representing the interests of everyone involved in importing, exporting and international trade. Export training, sector news, professional qualifications
- Institute of Grocery and Distribution (IGD) Key research organisation for the food and grocery sector
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Professional body for transport, logistics and integrated supply-chain management
- Institute of Sales and Marketing Management UK professional body for sales people
- Institute of Promotional Marketing The trade association for organisations involved in promotional marketing
- National Skills Academy for Retail Provides access to high quality trainng for the retail sector. Site includes graduate level job profiles and career pathways for retail roles
- Skillsmart Retail Sector Skills Council for the retail sector