Retail and Sales
Research your future career - how do I do this?
Once you’ve done some general research into your career of interest, you may want to investigate your sector in a bit more detail. We’ve compiled some resources for you including useful websites, recruitment specialists and professional organisations.
It’s important to remember that these are more than just potential sources for vacancies; keeping informed about industry news will really help you when it comes to answering interview questions and preparing applications that stand out from the crowd.
Placement and Careers Centre (PCC)
Whether you are at the beginning of exploring your career options, or have a good idea about what you want to do, the PCC are here to help. For initial discussions you can come to Quick Query or if you need more time you can book an appointment direct with your Careers Consultant.
Our LibraryThing online resource enables you to browse the reference books available to use in the PCC. Just drop-in Monday-Friday 9.30am-4.45pm and browse the books available.
- Industry Insight Agcas publication providing information about retail (view as pdf)
- Prospects Job Sectors An overview of the retail and sales sector
- Retail Bulletin Retail news resource
- Talking Retail Grocery retail news
- Target Retail and Sales Areas of work in this sector, graduate jobs and schemes, work experience opportunities
- Telegraph Retail and consumer news
Sources for jobs
- Denza Specialises in fashion retail recruitment
- Guardian Jobs Browse sales jobs
- Hays Retail Selection of retail jobs
- Media Exchange For opportunities in media sales
- Retail Careers Jobs in the retail sector - search by location or job type
- Retail Choice Search retail job opportunities by location, job type or keyword
- Retail Week Latest retail sector news and analysis
- retailmoves Specialist retail recruitment site
- Simply Sales Jobs Specialist online job site for sales jobs. Search by UK location or by type of sales job - includes field sales, sales executive roles, IT sales jobs, direct sales, telesales and sales manager roles
- totaljobs Retail jobs UK-wide
- British Independent Retailers Association (bira) Trade association for independent retailers in the UK, representing approximately 7,000 members from single retail outlets to small chains, dealers, suppliers, manufacturers and distributors
- British Retail Consortium Trade association for the UK retail industry. Includes news, events and business information
- Customer Contact Association (CCA) The professional body for customer contact centres
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply Qualification body representing purchasing and supply chain professionals
- Institute of Export Representing the interests of everyone involved in importing, exporting and international trade. Export training, sector news, professional qualifications
- Institute of Sales and Marketing Management UK professional body for sales people