Academic admissions tests
When you are applying for some postgraduate courses, eg medicine, dentistry, and business, you may be required to take an admissions test in addition to your standard academic qualifications, and you can find information on these here.
The UCAS website indicates which universities are using individual tests but you should check the websites of any institutions to which you are applying to find out which test is required.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) used for postgraduate study in the USA:
GRE London Test Centre (Test centre number: 8021) is located at: Prometric, 2nd Floor, Pellipar House, 9 Cloak Lane, London, EC4R 2RU; Tel: 0207 248 7311.
- Educational Testing Service Access to practice questions for GRE, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Fulbright Commission US Educational Advisory Service Standardised test information for postgraduate study in the US. You will need to take these tests 10-12 months before you start your course to ensure that your scores reach the universities before their application deadlines. (Please note, to access full information about testing sites and registration deadlines you will need to register on the Fulbright site)
- GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) Gives description and background information on the GRE General Test (verbal, quantitative and analytical), Subject tests and the Written Assessment test available worldwide
- InternationalStudent.com Test Prep Center giving information about TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, TSE and TOEIC tests. Includes sample questions
- Kaplan Overview and structure of the GRE, information on preparation, and courses run by Kaplan
- PowerScore Gives a comparison of the GRE versus the GMAT
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) used for postgraduate study in the USA and international business schools:
- Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) GMAT basics
- GMATTutor.com 'Maths basics, FAQ, Tips & Tricks' and more
- Kaplan GMAT preparation for MBA applicants and free practice tests
- Mba.com - official GMAC site where you can register to take the GMAT test - explains the format and content of the test, with tips on preparation, what to expect on the day of the test, etc. GMATPrep® test-preparation software is available free to registered users of mba.com to help you prepare for the Computer-Adaptive GMAT® exam
- How to pass the GMAT, Mike Bryon, 2007 edition, Kogan Page, is held in the Placement & Careers Centre Reference Library. It contains practice questions with answers and explanations; some full-length timed tests; and mini-tests that can be used for quick practice
Medicine and dentistry
If you would like to check which test is being used by a particular medical school you can look at:
- The UCAS website indicates which universities are using individual tests but you should check the websites of any institutions to which you are applying to find out which test is required
- MedSchools Online (Note that the information on this website was last updated in 2009 so you should check that it is still current:) - Graduate entry; Undergraduate entry
BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT)
BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) is taken by undergraduate applicants to certain medicine and related courses at Imperial College London, Oxford University Medical School, Swansea University and University College London.
- Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test and BMAT, Felicity Taylor, Rosalie Hutton, Glen Hutton, 3rd (2008) edition, Learning Matters, is held in the Placement & Careers Centre Reference Library. It contains information on applications for medical school, required reading, personal statements, exams and interviews, and test preparation
Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT)
A few Medicine and Dentistry courses use the GAMSAT UK test.
- Register and find more information on the GAMSAT UK website. Registrations generally open in June and close in August for entry in the next academic year
- The Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) Developers of GAMSAT
- GRADMED Administer preparatory courses for those taking GAMSAT. The site includes information on GAMSAT in the UK - What is GAMSAT?; Why GAMSAT?; Test Structure; and Keys to Success, and offers online GAMSAT style tests with answers
UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT)
This is used by a consortium of 26 medical and dental schools.
- Registration for UKCAT generally opens in early May and closes in September with the last test date in October. You can find out more information on their website
- UKCAT also provide some timed practice questions
- Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT (Student Guides to University Entrance) (Paperback) by Felicity Walker-Buckton, Glenn Hutton, Rosalie Hutton is available in the Placement & Careers Centre reference library, and is particularly useful because it analyses questions asked in the UKCAT and explains why answers are right or wrong
For general queries the following forums are useful:
- New Media Medicine Online resources for medical students and doctors that gives medical exam links, offers a discussion forum and medical blogs (moderated by med school students) including those kept by applicants to medical school