Introducing the Widening Participation Summer Internships Scheme (WPSIS):
As part of our commitment to help our students to develop essential employability skills and progress to graduate level jobs, we have obtained funding to offer a number of paid internships/work experience to our first year Widening Participation students.
Widening Participation is a government-funded initiative to increase the number of students from under-represented groups participating in higher education. In order to ensure your progression, retention and success the University’s Widening Participation team delivers a number of initiatives to support you. This short term summer internship will build on your academic experience and employability skills.
Why do an Internship?
· Build your skills, knowledge and personal attributes
· Increase your self confidence
· Build your knowledge of graduate recruitment by applying and being interviewed for the internship
· Find out about a particular industry
· Make valuable contacts
· Have excellent experience to add to your CV and your HEAR report
· A chance for a potential future employer to get to know you
You will be paid a bursary for 8 weeks at 35 hours per week (or any combination totaling 280 hours) by the University.
The bursary will be in excess of the National Minimum Wage and paid during your internship which will take place between June and the middle of September 2018.
To be eligible you can be studying any course but must be a Home/EU (UK) first year student.
In addition you need to be able to select one of the following criteria:
· Local Authority care leaver
· Student with a disability / dyslexia
· Mature student (over 25)
· Headstart student
Or two or more from:
· First generation of family to enter Higher Education
· Eligible for a full or partial maintenance Higher Education grant
· From a low-income area with low participation in Higher Education
· Have studied vocational courses (ie BTEC or Access courses)
· From one of the state schools in Brent, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Hillingdon & Hounslow.
If you think that you are eligible and are interested in taking part in this excellent opportunity we encourage you to complete the application form:
Once we have approved your application you will be invited to attend the launch workshop in January 2018. At the workshop you will be given information on how the scheme works, how to apply for vacancies and you will have the chance to find out from some of the 2017 placed interns how they have benefited from the scheme.
The Professional Development Centre (PDC) has a dedicated team of Careers Consultants who are happy to work with students to improve CVs, cover letters and interview techniques. Please get in touch with the PDC for more information on how to make the most of the resources available to you.
Please contact a member of the WPSIS team if you would like to have an informal chat about the Scheme.
Tel: +44 (0)1895 268076
Professional Development Centre
1st Floor, Bannerman Centre
Brunel University London
Uxbridge UB8 3PH