Sustainable Electrical Power MSc
Please note the application deadline for this course is Friday 25th August 2017, any applications after this date will be considered on an individual basis, subject to course vacancies.
About the course
This MSc programme in Sustainable Electrical Power aims to produce graduates capable of leading teams which will operate, control, design, regulate and manage the power systems and networks of the future.
The course equips graduates with the ability to critically evaluate methodologies, analytical procedures and research methods in:
- Power system engineering – using state-of-the-art computational tools and methods.
- Design of sustainable electrical power systems and networks.
- Regulatory frameworks for, and operation of, power systems and electricity markets.
The programme features practical workshops and the option of an industry-based dissertation. Students benefit from our high performance lab and computing facilities, including a grid-enabled cluster of processors. We’re also home to a world leading research group, the Brunel Institute of Power Systems.
Women in Engineering Scholarships.
Sustainable energy is a vital, growing sector and this newly designed MSc programme meets industry’s demand for engineers with advanced knowledge of sustainable electrical power and energy generation systems.
The course is suitable for:
- Graduates in power or electrical engineering, physical sciences, or related disciplines who aspire to work in the electrical power industry, especially within the renewable energy sector.
- Industrially experienced graduate engineers and managers who recognise the importance of developing new analytical and critical skills, and state-of-the-art methodologies associated with the development sustainable electrical power systems.
Energy Economics and Power Markets
- Principles, objectives, regulation, computational methods, economic procedures, emissions trading, and operation of electricity markets.
- Restructuring and deregulation in generation, transmission, and distribution.
- Concepts of transmission congestion and demand side management.
Power System Operation and Management
- Business drivers and technical requirements for operational management.
- In-depth knowledge of operational management software.
- Energy balance and intermittency in sustainable electrical power system operation and management.
Power Electronics and FACTS
- Practical understanding of how to design advanced power electronic circuits.
- Modern power electronic integration techniques and state-of-the-art Flexible AC Transmission Systems.
- Capabilities and limitations of different power electronic circuits.
- Integration of power electronic circuits into Flexible AC Transmission Systems.
Power System Analysis and Security
- Capabilities and limitations of modern power systems design.
- Accurate use of power systems modelling and analysis of secure operation.
- Computational techniques for power systems modelling, optimal power flow, mathematical programming, heuristic methods, artificially intelligent methods.
Sustainable Power Generation
Power System Stability and Control
- Generation costing of solar, geo-thermal, bio-mass, wind, hydro, tidal, and wave.
- Storage technologies and energy conversion: practical understanding and limitations.
- Embedded renewable generation: technical challenges, opportunities and connection in electrical transmission and distribution grids.
- Formal methods and skills to function effectively at high levels of project management.
- Development of skills to achieve practical business objectives.
Sustainable Electrical Power Workshop
You will gain experience and expertise with industry relevant tools and techniques through hands-on workshop environments. These practical sessions involve individual and group work. Typical assignments include:
- Sustainable generation scheduling.
- Integration of renewable energy sources.
- Computer simulation of active power filters.
- Phase-controlled rectifiers.
- Power network security.
- Sustainable electrical power system stability control.
- Electricity market auctions.
- Sustainable electrical power system investment and planning.
Project & Dissertation
This provides a stimulating and challenging opportunity to apply your knowledge and develop deep understanding in a specialised aspect of your choice. Projects can be university or industry and company sponsored students have the opportunity to develop their company's future enterprise. Industrial projects often lead to the recruitment of the student by the collaborating company.
Read more about the structure of postgraduate degrees at Brunel
and what you will learn on the course.
- All students enrolled in the course have the opportunity to develop real-world skills with the best globally available, cutting-edge power analysis software and tools. The course is also supported by a wide range of application oriented power engineering experiments carried out in a modern well-equipped practical power systems laboratory.
- The Brunel Institute of Power Systems is an internationally leading research group specialising in the optimal design, operation and modelling of power systems, as well as in the economics of electricity markets.
- Our high performance computing capability is considerable including a recently installed grid-enabled cluster of processors consisting of 20 dual processor nodes with dual Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.
- Major power system software are available including MATLAB/SIMULINK, Orcad, PSCAD, DigSILENT, IPSA, ETAP, and PowerWorld.
- Electronic and Computer Engineering is one of the largest disciplines at Brunel University, with a portfolio of research contracts totalling £7.5 million and strong links with industry.
- Our laboratories are well equipped with an excellent range of facilities to support the research work and courses. We have comprehensive computing resources in addition to those offered centrally by the University. The discipline is particularly fortunate in having extensive gifts of software and hardware to enable it to undertake far-reaching design projects.
- We have a wide range of research groups, each with a complement of academics and research staff and students. The groups are:
Women in Engineering and Computing Programme
Brunel’s Women in Engineering and Computing mentoring scheme provides our female students with invaluable help and support from their industry mentors.
Sustainable Electrical Power is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). Additionally we are seeking reaccreditation with the Energy Institute.
After successful completion of the programme, you are expected to be ideally suited for employment in the global electricity industry in either an operations or research engineering role.
Whilst this is a relatively new course, Brunel University Master's graduates already have an enviable record of employment and the Brunel Institute of Power Systems have long-standing links with major employers such as EDF Energy, National Grid, Converteam Ltd, Siemens, ALSTOM, ABB, British Energy, BNFL, GE Energy. Recent graduate and student profiles are available via the SED web page.
At Brunel we provide many opportunities and experiences within your degree programme and beyond – work-based learning, professional support services, volunteering, mentoring, sports, arts, clubs, societies, and much, much more – and we encourage you to make the most of them, so that you can make the most of yourself.
» More about Employability
Fees for 2016/17 entry
£8,350 full-time; £4,175 part-time
£17,200 full-time; £8,600 part-time
The Women in Engineering Scholarship is available for students on this course.
Read about funding opportunities available to postgraduate students
UK/EU students can opt to pay in six equal monthly instalments: the first instalment is payable on enrolment and the remaining five by Direct Debit or credit/debit card.
Overseas students can opt to pay in two instalments: 60% on enrolment, and 40% in January for students who commence their course in September (or the remaining 40% in March for selected courses that start in January).
Entry Criteria 2016/17
A UK first or second class Honours degree or equivalent internationally recognised qualification in Power Systems; Electrical or Electronic Engineering or a closely related discipline. Applicants with Physics or Mathematics subjects with a minimum 3 years relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
Entry criteria are subject to review and change each academic year.
International and EU Entry Requirements
If your country or institution is not listed or if you are not sure whether your institution is eligible, please contact Admissions
This information is for guidance only by Brunel University London and by meeting the academic requirements does not guarantee entry for our courses as applications are assessed on case-by-case basis.
English Language Requirements
- IELTS: 6 (min 5.5 in all areas)
- Pearson: 51 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 60% (min 55% in all areas)
Brunel University London strongly recommends that if you will require a Tier 4 visa, you sit your IELTS test at a test centre that has been approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as being a provider of a Secure English Language Test (SELT). Not all test centres have this status. The University can accept IELTS (with the required scores) taken at any official test centre or other English Language qualifications we accept as meeting our main award entry requirements.
However, if you wish to undertake a Pre-sessional English course to further improve your English prior to the start of your degree course, you must sit the test at an approved SELT provider. This is because you will only be able to apply for a Tier 4 student visa to undertake a Pre-sessional English course if you hold a SELT from a UKVI approved test centre. Find out more information about it.
Brunel also offers our own BrunELT English Test and accepts a range of other language courses. We also have Pre-sessional English language courses for students who do not meet these requirements, or who wish to improve their English.
Our International Pathways and Language Centre offers a number of foundation and pre-masters courses to provide you with the academic skills required for your chosen course.