Our aims for programme are:
- To support the pipeline of female applicants to engineering and technology industries
- To support the mentee to support her employability and attain her full potential in the engineering profession
- To assist the mentee to build information about career direction
- To assist the mentee develop a network of key contacts
- Provide the mentee with an opportunity to increase confidence and familiarity with aspects of workplace culture
- Assist mentors to keep up to date with current knowledge within their field through contact with current university students
- Develop mutually beneficial relationships between the university, its students and the companies involved
Applications for 2017/18 are now closed. Please contact Giselle Hayward if you are interested in finding out more for 2018/19.
All female computing and engineering students above Level 1 are invited to apply to join the programme; however, in the event that there is a shortage of mentors, priority will be given to MSc students, Level 5 MEng and second year students. An important aspect of this mentoring programme is that everyone receives appropriate training before matching. This ensures that both mentee and mentor gets the most out of the mentoring relationship.
Once you have been accepted on the programme you will be invited to attend one of the five opportunities for training in October. In addition, students are offered the opportunity to actively participate in visits to industry, speed networking events and several professional skills workshops and presentations.
What our mentees said about the 2016/17 mentoring programme
66.7% advised that they had increased their industrial sector knowledge and 78.3% have increased their confidence. Initiative, enterprise and commercial awareness skills were also highlighted as having improved.
"Discovering that I actually had strengths, where before I only thought of my weaknesses"
List of eligible courses
If you are ready to complete the first step to be matched, please complete our mentee profile form.
If you would like more information on the WiBEC mentoring programme contact:
Giselle Hayward - Women in Engineering Mentoring Manager
Email: Giselle.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel:+44 (0)1895 266343