The Department of Life Sciences has become the proud holder of an Athena SWAN Bronze award in recognition of their activities and practices in relation to the Athena SWAN Equality Charter.
The Athena SWAN award is issued to departments who recognise that, whilst they operate many excellent practices, they are willing to do even more to support women working and studying in the department. We are now committed to an ongoing three year action plan to further implement strategies to increase further our gender equality practices.
Support for you
- Aurora Programme is for women in academic, research or professional services who would like to develop their career and explore the avenues to leadership.
- Supporting your professional development - our internal Staff Development Team deliver an exciting learning and development programme to support your personal and professional development.
- Brunel Mentoring Network can provide you with a mentor to help you focus on your career or personal development goals.
- Mother’s Room - we have taken a significant step to support female staff members, by providing a mothering room – a Department of Life Sciences initiative which has already been replicated by another Department, and which we hope will be extended throughout Brunel. The room is designed to provide an area for rest during and after pregnancy, and also a comfortable, welcoming and hygienic environment for the expression and storage of milk.
Athena Swan documents and activities
- Life Sciences Athena Swan Launch Event - a formal launch event took place on 26 of April 2017 that included a talk by Dame Professor Uta Frith who is Head of Equality and Diversity at the Royal Society followed by a panel-led discussion.