We are developing a plan to enable our transition back to campus, prioritising the safety and wellbeing of staff, students and visitors.
We're working to government and Public Health England advice and considering the needs of the more vulnerable members of our community as part of the process.
This will mean opening the campus gradually while continuing to follow guidance on safe working and social distancing. At present the government and university advice is to continue working from home where this is possible – if you have any concerns please contact your management team.
Working from home and staying at home
- Any work that can be done from home should still be done from home
- Staff who are shielding, or living with shielding or vulnerable individuals, should stay at home. For more information on clinically vulnerable and extremely clinically vulnerable categories please visit the gov.uk website.
- You must stay at home and self-isolate if you have any symptoms of Covid-19, however mild
Principles for returning to campus
- Where possible you should avoid or minimise your use of public transport when you travel to campus
- On public transport you should wear a face covering
- You should limit your on-campus work to tasks that can't be done at home
- All work on campus or visits to campus (eg to collect belongings/files/equipment) must be approved by your Head of Department using the relevant approval process:
- For further information, and the application process to attend campus please visit the Health and Safety website
- Responsible individuals must submit a weekly summary to Health and Safety listing their staff who have attended campus
- You are advised to wash your hands on arrival and frequently on campus
Our building reopening process
We have established an 11-step process to prepare all of our non-residential buildings to return to operational use by Monday 7 September.
- Enhanced cleaning protocols in place
- Legionella checks
- Signage installed internally and externally
- Perspex screens installed where needed
- Office space assessments carried out by Heads of Departments and Senior Managers
- Teaching spaces set up for 2m social distancing
- Meeting rooms set up for 2m social distancing
- Communal spaces set up for 2m social distancing
- Covid-19 building risk assessment carried out by Building Custodians
- Health and safety inspections
- Communicate Covid-19 Building Risk Assessment to staff
Building Custodians have been appointed to support the completion of a number of steps in this process and will work closely with Heads of Department.
How we are managing risk
- We have worked closely with teams carrying out essential works on campus throughout the pandemic to ensure safe working practices are in place
- A Building Preparation Checklist and Schedule has been established which sets out the measures that need to be in place before a building can be opened fully - this includes introduction of signage, space planning and cleaning procedures amongst other measures
- Specific functional areas within buildings are being operationalised in phases between now and September, prioritising spaces required for essential work.
- Priority 1: Research labs
- Priority 2: Spaces required for student facing support (eg Clearing, TPOs, etc)
- Priority 3: Exam and revision spaces for summer exams
- Priority 4: Operationalisation of all teaching spaces for September
- Priority 5: All other office spaces and facilities
The relevant approval process must be followed to ensure that these activities can go ahead safely.
As buildings are signed off as fully prepared, we will continue to follow government guidance and advise those who can work from home to continue to do so.
- Implementation of social distancing measures – new signage is being implemented across the campus, with one-way systems in high traffic areas, separate entrances and exits to buildings where possible and capacity review and reorganisation of teaching spaces to allow for social distancing
- Enhanced cleaning protocols are being developed with the Site Services team