Exit Menu

Coronavirus information for current students

These pages will be used to share important information about the coronavirus and our response to it. 

See how we are supporting the coronavirus effort #WeareBrunel. 

Find out our plans for teaching for 2020/21 here.

Our campus is closed, click here for details of how to access services during campus closure.

Information updated: 16 July

General coronavirus advice

What is the current government guidance?

The latest Government advice is to Stay Alert > Control the Virus > Save Lives. This means you must: 

  • stay at home as much as possible
  • work from home if you can
  • limit contact with other people
  • keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • wash your hands regularly

Detailed Government guidance on how you can help to protect yourself and others is available here

If you are showing coronavirus symptoms, or if you or any of your household are self-isolating, you should stay at home - this is critical to staying safe and saving lives.

The most effective way to avoid getting or spreading coronavirus is to wash your hands thoroughly and frequently, and to encourage others to do the same. The NHS advises washing your hands for as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice, about 20 seconds in all.

The NHS also advises people to do the following:

  • use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
  • cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
  • try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell

The NHS 111 online coronavirus service, 111.nhs.uk/covid-19, can tell you if you need medical help and advise you what to do.

What should I do if I develop cold or flu-like symptoms?

The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are a recent onset of:

  • A new continuous cough and/or
  • A high temperature

If you live alone and you have symptoms of coronavirus, however mild, stay at home for seven days from when your symptoms started. If you live with others and you are the first in the household to have symptoms of coronavirus, then you must stay at home for seven days, but all other household members who remain well must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill.

If you have coronavirus symptoms:

  • do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital
  • you do not need to contact 111 to tell them you’re staying at home
  • testing for coronavirus is not needed if you’re staying at home

If you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, or your condition gets worse, or your symptoms do not get better after seven days, then use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service. If you do not have internet access, call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999.

Both students and staff may want to consult a doctor, however because NHS services are under pressure people are being told to call NHS24 (111) in the first instance. Please don't contact or visit the Medical Centre on campus. The online coronavirus service, 111.nhs.uk/covid-19, can tell you if you need medical help and advise you what to do.

Follow the Government guidance on staying at home here. The official NHS pages are an excellent source of reliable, up to date information and guidance on symptoms and the measures you can take to protect yourself and others.

What should I do if I feel as though I have been bullied or harassed due to coronavirus? 

Any form of discrimination is unacceptable and won't be tolerated at Brunel. If you have experienced this or seen it happen on campus, please report it to the Student Centre or through our Report and Support service here.

How has Brunel been supporting the nationwide coronavirus response? 

Brunel is working in a number of ways to support the coronavirus response locally, which includes supporting the NHS. See our #WeareBrunel page for more information. 

You can watch this short animation, designed to bring together all the great work of our amazing Brunel community as captured by our campaign.

Campus services

Is anyone still on campus?

While campus has been closed, some services have remained open, with education and support services delivered remotely. We have mantained on-campus security and a minimal number of staff to support students in residences as it is the only home for many of our students. Costcutter has been open for supplies throughout, along with the Pharmacy and Medical Centre.

We are now beginning to open some catering facilities with new safety measures in place. All food and drink will be for take away only. 1966 (Costa) is open from Monday to Friday 9.00-16.30. Subway is open from Wednesday to Saturday 12.00-21.30.

Outdoor tennis and fitness classes are available and can be booked via the Brunel Sport app.  

All other buildings and facilities are currently closed.

Is the Library open?

The Library is now closed in line with government guidance, but staff are working at home to support students and adding more online resources daily. Get support from the LibSmart academic librarian team here and from the scholarly communications team here. We would also ask that all students follow the government's stay at home advice.

Although the library is closed, the external book drop at the front of Bannerman is still open for students to return books at any time. You can also give your books to a staff member when returning your key to the residences reception desk, they will ensure the books are returned to the library. 

If you are a final year student you are eligible to use our free postal return service please contact the library library@brunel.ac.uk for details on how to use this service.

Can I still access support services?

Our Student Support and Welfare team are available to contact remotely, you can book an appointment by emailing studentsupport@brunel.ac.uk

The Professional Development Centre can offer online appointments for careers and placement guidance, click here to book. If you are due to graduate this year, you can make use of this service for a further three years.

For information on contacting other services remotely please click here.

Will I be able to graduate this year?

We have had to postpone Summer Graduation this year in line with government guidance. We realise that this will be very disappointing news for many students.

To mark this year's graduation ceremony we have organised a virtual celebration during the week of 27 - 30 July. More information is available here.

We will be inviting all of this year's graduates to celebrate their Graduation on campus in 2021.

Students who have hired gowns or pre-ordered photography with our supplier Ede and Ravenscroft will be able to transfer their order to the new ceremony date (once it is confirmed). However, if they are unable to attend they can cancel and receive a refund in accordance with the company's terms and conditions. Login to their website for more information or contact details.

Once you have been awarded you will be able to request your certificate through eVision. By visiting the “My Courses” / “View Award” section of eVision you can request to have your certificate posted to the address you provide. Even if you choose to receive your certificate in this way you will still eligible to attend your graduation.

Once your award has conferred, an electronic version of your Certificate can be viewed and shared from within Brunel University London’s VerifyAward service, which may prove valuable while awaiting your certificate via the postal service. 

Returning to campus

What are the terms dates for the 2020/21 academic year? 

Revised term dates for the next academic year have been confirmed, you can view the full dates here.

Autumn term

*Term 1: 21 September - 18 December 2020

Spring term

Term 2: 11 January 2021 - 23 April 2021

Summer term

Term 3: 26 April 2021 - 2 July 2021                                                                                                     

Term 4: 5 July 2021 - 17 September 2021

*NOTE: Teaching for Postgraduate students begins on 21 September alongside Welcome Week for newUndergraduates. Undergraduate teaching begins on 28 September.

I'm a returning student, what plans are Brunel making for teaching in the next academic year? 

Firstly, thank you for your patience and also your amazing resilience to keep on top of your studies in these very difficult times.

We are working on some changes ready for September so that you can continue your education and prepare for your future.

Our team of academics are putting together a range of innovative ways for you to learn, study, keep in touch with your classmates and work towards your dream career, no matter what restrictions are in place.

When the world gets back to normal, you’ll be able to carry on where you left off, keep using these new methods of learning – or do both at the same time. We’ll make sure everything fits around you and your circumstances.

Please visit https://www.brunel.ac.uk/study/2020-changes for more information.

We can’t wait to have you back in September.

Teaching and assessment updates

What happens if I cannot access a laptop or PC from home?

You can request to borrow a laptop if you are an undergraduate student, living on campus, undertaking assessments in April/May and do not have access to a computer. If you fit the criteria please email computing-support@brunel.ac.uk with your request, they will respond within one working day.

If you are living off campus and have concerns about your ability to complete your assessments please contact your Taught Programmes Office, you can find details here. For more information on our laptop loan service please click here.

What happens if I fail my exam?

Students who sit their exams and fail will automatically be given a second, uncapped attempt in August. Not all institutions are offering another opportunity for students to complete their assessments in August, but we believe it is important to allow students another opportunity in what will hopefully be much improved circumstances. 

Does Brunel have a safety net or no-detriment policy in place for students?

We have a policy in place which is designed to be fair to all students, including those students on programmes accredited by professional bodies and applies irrespective of how many assessment credits (and with what weighting) they have accumulated so far this academic year.

The following points set out the safety net we have in place for our students:

  • If you cannot take an exam, you will need to submit ECs on eVision in the usual way.  However, we appreciate that depending on the nature of your circumstances, you may not be able to submit evidence, particularly if your GP’s surgery is closed, or you are self-isolating.  Where this is the case, please explain in your submission why you cannot submit any evidence.
  • Students unable to submit coursework assignments on time are able to request extensions via e-Vision for consideration by the Division/Department. Please note that if you require an extension for a piece of coursework, you will still need to submit a Coursework Request Form via your eVision account.  You will automatically be granted an extension, but we require a copy of the Form so that we can update the system, allowing you to submit at a later date.  
  • Students who do not submit coursework assignments or take exams will be allowed to take the assessments at the next opportunity, which will be in the August examination period*.
  • Students who submit coursework assignments or sit exams and fail will be given a second, uncapped attempt in August*.
  • The Boards of Examiners will carefully review the performance of all students to determine if performance in the exams and other assessments submitted on or after 16 March is out of line with assessments completed up until that time. This will help us identify students who have not failed, but performed worse than expected. Where impact is evident, Boards will take appropriate actions by, for example, giving students a further uncapped attempt.
  • Boards of Examiners in June 2021 will look at students’ performance across the whole programme and take account of the challenges students were facing during their second year. 

*The August examination period will take place between 10 - 28 August.

Why does Brunel’s safety net/no-detriment policy differ from other institutions?

The simple reason is that institutions are organised and operate differently, which means that any safety net will have to be tailored to each institution’s circumstances.

For example, Brunel has a single set of regulations that applies to all students, and therefore our safety net needs to be fair to our student body as a whole irrespective of whether they are on programmes accredited by professional bodies, or how many assessment credits (and with what weighting) they have accumulated so far this academic year.

Universities also organise their term dates, their programmes, modules and assessments according to what suits them best: some universities will have formal mid-year exams which means that students at those institutions will have completed half their assessment credits for the year in January; some, like Brunel, deliver their teaching over two long terms and run their exams in April/May; while some teach over three shorter terms and have a later summer exam period than Brunel. 

How can I submit an EC request or coursework extension?

As we look to move forward and start usual processes again, extension requests for ECs and coursework will return to normal from Wednesday 1 July.

If you cannot take an exam, you will need to submit ECs on eVision in the usual way.  However, we appreciate that depending on the nature of your circumstances, you may not be able to submit evidence, particularly if your GP’s surgery is closed, or you are self-isolating.  Where this is the case, please explain in your submission why you cannot submit any evidence.

If you are unable to submit your coursework on time, you will need to request a coursework extension on eVision in the usual way.  However, we appreciate that depending on the nature of your circumstances, you may not be able to submit evidence, particularly if your GP’s surgery is closed, or you are self-isolating.  Where this is the case, please explain in your submission why you cannot submit any evidence.

If you are attempting your exams for the first time in August and fail, you will be entitled to a second uncapped attempt.  Your Department will liaise with you about when you will resit any failed assessments when results are released in September.

If you are a Masters student and chose to defer your exams to August, and you now have ECs which will prevent you from undertaking an examination in August, please submit ECs explaining your situation. You will not be penalised and you will be given another opportunity to take these exams, uncapped. Your Department will liaise with you about when you will take any assessments you have not attempted when results are released in September.  

Will I be entitled to a refund because of the disruption caused by coronavirus?

These are extraordinary times and both our academic and support staff are working tirelessly to ensure that our students get the education and support they expect. While this involves some changes to the delivery mechanism for both services and learning, the effort and cost of delivering these is more rather than less.

All of our student services remain open and available to students (see our list of essential services and how to contact them) and staff are ready to help and advise you on all issues including student support, academic skills and careers advice. The majority of learning resources are available online.

Our academics are working extremely hard to move their teaching materials and tutorials online very quickly and are currently working to redesign our summer assessments to ensure that you can progress or graduate, depending on your level. Staff are available to you for academic support, using the contact arrangements shared on Blackboard. 

We appreciate that the situation may cause you difficulty in meeting deadlines or producing some types of work and we are making adjustments to accommodate students’ various challenges, such as changing our policy for extenuating circumstances on missed assessments.

We are making every effort to ensure that there is no detriment to the value or quality of your Brunel education, despite the changes. We hope therefore you will understand that we will not be refunding tuition fees, but instead focusing on investing in a rapid and effective response to what is a global crisis.

I am graduating in June 2021 – how will the exam board look at my second year performance?

Exam Boards in June 2021 will look at students’ performance across the whole of their programme and be aware of the challenges students were facing during their second year. Therefore, the academic performance of those graduating in summer 2021 will be scrutinised equally carefully to those completing their studies this summer, to ensure that the challenging and exceptional circumstances we are currently experiencing are appropriately accounted for.  

Support for postgraduate students

I’m a Doctoral Researcher, how do I submit my Thesis?

Now that the campus is closed, hard copies must be submitted by post (not in person). There will be appropriate cover and safety measures in place to receive these submissions. Electronic/soft copies can be submitted by email, drop box, USB or other online methods. Your college will contact you by email with specific guidance.

For post six-month resubmissions, one electronic version of the revised thesis along with a summary document should be emailed to your Doctoral Research office.

For post 12-month revisions, two hard copies and one electronic copy must be submitted. Now the campus is closed, hard copies must be submitted by post (not in person). There will be appropriate cover and safety measures in place to receive these submissions. Your college will contact you by email with specific guidance.

I'm a Doctoral Researcher, how do I complete my viva voce?

Viva's will continue to be held remotely until the end of December 2020.

For vivas that are scheduled to take place over the coming months and where the PhD candidate is an overseas student, the PhD candidate (and their families, where relevant) can choose to go home (if they are able to). The PhD candidate can then participate remotely in the viva if they have gone home due to the pandemic and are not able or willing to return. No specific approval is required for this up until the end of December 2020.

In normal times, in the exceptional circumstances that a viva is conducted with the PhD candidate based overseas, it is advised that the candidate should attend a local Higher Education Institution, British Council Office or other verifiable education establishment for the purposes of the viva voce examination. We recognise that this is unlikely at the moment but may become so in some parts of the world in the coming months. We would ask therefore that in these circumstances each viva should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The following guidance applies to PhD viva voices conducted remotely (e.g. via Skype):

  • An ID check should be undertaken of all participants in the remote viva, e.g. a work/student ID badge, passport or driving licence.

  • If documents are likely to be shown between parties, then these should be shared beforehand if possible and otherwise shared via Skype (or alternative pre-agreed file sharing mechanism) during the viva.

  • The remote meeting should be set up so all participants can see all other participants, and all participants should find a quiet, undisturbed location with a good quality internet connection.

  • The Chair should give positive prompts, using the names of participants appropriately, to maintain a smooth, disciplined discussion. Viva voce examinations conducted by remotely demand a much higher level of discipline and structure than those where everyone is present in the same room.

  • The Chair should make careful notes of any disturbances or interruptions to reception and record them in their report.

  • At the end of the viva, the Chair must ask the PhD candidate to confirm that they are content with the process (not the outcome), and note the response. If the PhD candidate is not content, if it is possible to rectify the issues at the time, e.g. clarifying a portion of discussion where the audio was disrupted, then this should be attempted. If the technical issues are more extensive, then the Chair will be responsible for determining whether the viva voce examination will need to be resat.

  • The supervisor should be available to speak to the PhD candidate directly after the viva.

  • The viva voce examination should be recorded in case it needs to be reviewed at a later date.

How will progression reviews and supervisor meetings for Doctoral Researchers take place?

All progression reviews will be conducted virtually and your college will contact you directly with details of how this will work. We have confirmed that this will be acceptable for compliance with Tier 4 Visa monitoring requirements.

Engagement/supervisor meetings should be conducted via Skype or similar and recorded in eVision. We have confirmed that this will be acceptable for compliance with Tier 4 Visa monitoring requirements. Your college will contact you directly with details.

What arrangements are in place to support Doctoral Researchers? 

We have had to adapt to new ways of studying and working, and our capacity to adapt to new demands and changing circumstances has been tested.

Please read our letter to all Doctoral Researchers, which outlines some specific information regarding: working arrangements & support; extensions to deadlines & funding; progress reviews, completion & examination; and graduation. 

The government has announced that UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) funded doctoral researchers who are in their final year and have had their studies disrupted by COVID-19 will receive an extension to their research with additional grants, known as a costed extension, of up to six months. The extension offer applies to students whose course is due to be completed by 31 March 2021, and will be reviewed in four months’ time to ensure any further impact is taken into account.

UKRI has put together answers to frequently asked questions here. We will now be working with UKRI on implementation details. Thank you for your patience while this is put in place.

What arrangements are in place for extensions for Doctoral Researchers?

PGR offices have delegated authority to approve 28-day late (re)submission extensions for all Doctoral Researchers. 

UKRI-funded Doctoral Researchers in their final year (due to complete by 31 March 2021) can apply for a costed extension to their origianl funding period of up to six months if impacted by Covid-19. The UKRI expects Doctoral Researchers to submit at the end of any extended funding period

Doctoral Researchers who are not funded by UKRI and are in their final year (due to complete by March 2021) can have an automatic extension of three months (to the maximum end registration period) to enable them to complete ther writing up. Part-time Doctoral Researchers can have an equivalent pro-rata extension. This is a no cost extension, i.e. no tuition fees will be charged. 

All other extension requests will require a formal request via e-Vision, with supporting evidence, in the usual way. 

What is happening to research activity at Brunel?

The campus is now closed, therefore research activity (conducted by staff and doctoral researchers) should not continue on campus; where possible research should be undertaken from home. In a limited number of cases, experiments and research facilities will need to be wound down. This must be completed by the end of Wednesday 25 March, and the following arrangements apply to wind down in laboratory and workshop work:

  • For any requests for access, a risk assessment for each piece of work on campus should be completed giving details on how COVID-19 risks will be managed, including lone working etc. This must be approved by the Dean, DCO or Vice Dean, Research  (For BCAST, the Director of Operations or nominee) or a nominated deputy in their absence (nominated by the Head of Department), who will keep a log in a central register.

  • Individuals coming onto campus need to inform Security Services, as well as report to any local contacts, as required.

  • Face-to-face research interviews have been suspended and should be replaced by alternative means. CRECS have a document and email to circulate among staff, doctoral researchers and students explaining the circumstances for dissertations. We suggest the supervisors should be the first port of call for individual doctoral researchers and students.

  • Fieldwork should also be suspended, but overseas work currently in progress will be dealt with on an individual basis. However, we will be following current government guidelines and the safety of staff and student is a priority.

  • Any other ongoing work involving face-to-face interaction with participants will be halted and contingencies put in place to protect doctoral researchers and students’ wellbeing and ultimately awards. We will determine who is responsible for individual doctoral researchers and students currently undertaking fieldwork overseas – this is the supervisor in the first instance but the decision to bring students back to the UK and/or arrangements for future study and awards will be taken at a higher level.

  • Research involving taking biological samples from participants must stop; potential issues associated with awards and research deadlines are being monitored.  

Advice for international students

I am an international student - where can I access more information specific to me?

Please look at the rest of the information on these pages as it is full of advice and support related to your study and travel. For further information and national support services specifically for international students, as well as general immigration guidance, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website and click on 'Info & Advice'. 

I’ve travelled abroad, but am unable to return to campus because of travel restrictions

We know that this is a difficult and worrying time for you all and we are grateful for your patience as we work through how to do things differently to support you to continue with your education.Departments have put teaching material and resources online so that students can access learning remotely. Please contact your department for more information.

I am currently overseas but wish to return to the UK. Do I have to self-isolate upon returning?

From 8 June 2020, some people entering the UK have been required to self-isolate for 14 days. Please visit the Home Office website for further information. If you are travelling from one of these countries you will need to provide your journey and contact details when you travel to the UK and will not be allowed the leave the place where you're staying for the first 14 days (except in very limited situations). You also must not travel if you have coronavirus symptoms

In the event of a prolonged absence of several weeks or months as a result of a travel ban, how will this affect the University's sponsorship of my Tier 4 visa?

Brunel will continue to sponsor the Tier 4 visas of our international students while on-campus teaching/assessment has been suspended. This includes students who have left the UK. Please note that this will be on the provision that students continue to engage with the online delivery of their courses. 

If you would like further immigration advice, please contact our immigration team.

I’m planning to study abroad next semester – will my placement be impacted?

We currently anticipate that 2020-2021 Study Abroad placements will not be affected by the current situation. However, it is possible that there may be disruption in some locations around the world. The University will continue to monitor the situation closely and communicate with all students scheduled to study or work abroad next year.

My Tier 4 Visa requires me to attend all lectures and classes to maintain sponsorship. How will my engagement be monitored without face-to-face teaching?

We will continue to sponser the Tier 4 Visas of our international students while face-to-face teaching is suspended. Students will be expected to engage with all online learning opportunities, complete assessments as required and participate in one-to-one sessions with tutors (either in person or via Skype). If this is not possible for any reason you must contact your academic department as soon as possible.

International students are permitted to return to their home countries while face-to-face teaching is suspended, but should follow government travel advice. The University is still required to inform UKVI of any students who fail to engage with their course of study.

I have an appointment with the Police Registration Services - what should I do?

Tier 4 students who need to register with the Police Registration Services as part of their visa conditions are being informed that the service is currently suspended in line with social distancing guidance. This applies for as long as social distancing restrictions are in place. More information can be found here

If you have booked an appointment through the online appointment booking facility, you should not attend your appointment. 

If you are travelling back to your home country before registering, you should ensure you have the email ready to show to border control on re-entry to the UK. 

What happens if my UK visa expires while I am in the UK and I am not able to leave and return to my home country due to self-isolation or travel restrictions?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) published guidance on their website. Visas will be extended to 31 July 2020, although you will need to contact UKVI as instructed at the website. 

I'm a Tier 4 student remaining in the UK - am I allowed to work full-time now that on-campus teaching has been suspended?

Brunel's Tier 4 Rights to Work policy remains in place as we still expect all of our students to engage with the online delivery of their course. There are no current changes to the term dates outlined in this. During term-time, Tier 4 students will be restricted to working the maximum number of hours their visa allows.

However, there is an exception to this. Tier 4 students who have the right to work in the UK will be allowed to work full-time during term if they are employed by the National Health Service (NHS) as a doctor, nurse or paramedic. There will be no restriction on the weekly working limit in this case, but please note that this only applies to employment in one of these roles within the NHS.  

Please contact the Immigration team if you require any further information. 

 Information for students living on campus and collecting belongings

I'm living on campus, will I be asked to leave? 

No, the campus remains home for many students and we have continued to provide support throughout the Coronavirus pandemic. For those wishing to or having to stay on campus, further information is being sent to you directly.

I have left my campus room, can I come and collect my belongings?

The deadline to collect belongings has now passed . Please contact res@brunel.ac.uk  if you still have belongings on campus and have not already made arrangments for them to be stored.

We are only able to store belongings if you plan to return to campus for the next academic year. Your items will be stored on campus until Wednesday 30 September. If you have not collected your belonging by this date we will contact you to arrange for disposal.

How do I return my key?

If you don’t plan to return to campus please return any keys/cards by post.  These must be put in a padded envelope and enclose you name and students number (but not your halls address) inside the envelope. 

Please send all keys, regardless of your room address to: Concourse Hall Reception, Isambard Complex, Station Road, Uxbridge, UB8 3FG.

Can I meet up with my friends on campus? 

Please ensure you are following social distancing guidlines when meeting up with friends also living on campus.

Information on what you can and can't do from 4 July onwards can be found here.

What should I do if I need to self-isolate on campus?

Notifications of self-isolation may come to the University’s attention in the following ways:

  • Self-reporting from a student 
  • Reports from friends/family/flatmates

Students should report their symptoms on eVision in the task on the My Profile page, while reports from third parties will be entered by the COVID-19 Information Team.

Once the details of the case have been received by the COVID-19 Information Team, the University will contact the student by telephone to understand if there are any concerns around getting enough food and drink and to provide additional cleaning materials. Cleaning staff will be made aware of the isolation and will stop entering the flat, in line with government guidelines.

The team will advise the isolated student and send support information. Flatmates will be informed that the student is in self-isolation and be advised further. The residences team will continue to monitor the situation and if they have any concerns about any students they will inform the security team. If a student needs further support, the student services team will respond accordingly.

I am registered with the Medical Centre - how can I get medical treatment?

Please follow NHS guidance if you think you have symptoms of Coronavirus. For all other medical requirements, please call the Medical Centre on 01895 266904 to arrange telephone consultations. Do not go to the Medical Centre unless advised to do so by them.

I need to get my prescription - how can I do that?

You can go to the pharmacy on campus, next to the medical centre, which is open. There may be some disruption to their opening hours at the moment – please call them on 01895 257187 before going along.

What cleaning will be provided in my residences?

Whilst residents are responsible for cleaning up after themselves, Residences continue to provide a cleaning service to shared kitchens on a weekly basis, as far as possible.

Shared showers and WCs in Saltash, Clifton and Chepstow Halls will be cleaned daily. We will try to remove rubbish from shared kitchens, but if you are able to do that yourself that would be very helpful.

Can I stay on campus over the summer?

Students who would like to extend their current accommodation contract or are arriving on campus early for the next academic year can apply online for the summer period from 12 June - 6 September. Please note, we cannot guarantee accommodation in the same room.

Self-isolating on campus

I'm going abroad over the summer, can I quarantine in my campus room when I return?

Please be aware that if you plan to travel overseas during the summer period and then to return to your accommodation, you may be required to quarantine for 14 days on your return for your safety and the safety of fellow students.

The government has advised that countries listed here do not require a quarantine period once you have arrvied back to England. 

If you travel to one of the areas not listed, you are required to quarantine on return to the UK you must:

1. Complete the form via this link -  https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk - 48 hours before you arrive

2.  Notify us at Brunel before you arrive back in the UK by emailing res@brunel.ac.uk with the following details

  • Arrival Airport & Date
  • Flight Number and Arrival Time
  • Country you are flying from

Please familiarise themselves with the current guidance on self isolating here.

What happens when I arrive on campus?

If you are arriving during normal working hours (Monday-Friday 08.00-20.00) Security will take you to the Isambard Residences Office where your key will be issued. If you are arriving after 8pm or over a weekend period Security will take you to your room.

Where will I stay during the quarantine period?

You will be given an en-suite room within a flat of up to nine other students. Each flat will have a 48-hour arrival window. At the end of the 48 hours the flat will effectively close and the 14 days quarantine period starts. You may use the kitchen facilities but should continue to follow government guidance in regards to social distancing. Each kitchen will have cooking utensils and crockery for your use. Food and other supplies can be delivered to your flat by registering at https://www.brunelisolators.co.uk/.

What will I be able to do whilst in quarantine?

Under current UK government guidelines, you can only leave your accommodation in limited circumstances. These include where:

  • you need urgent medical assistance (or where your doctor has advised you to get medical assistance)
  • you need access to basic necessities like food and medicines, but only in exceptional circumstances such as where you cannot arrange for these to be delivered
  • you need to access critical public services such as social services and victim support services, but only in exceptional circumstances
  • you need to go to the funeral of a family member of someone you live with
  • you need to visit a dying or critically ill family member or someone you live with
  • you need to fulfil a legal obligation such as participate in legal proceedings
  • there’s an emergency

What happens at the end of the 14-day quarantine period?

If no one in your flat has shown any symptoms after 14 days you will be moved to your permanent room on campus.

What happens if I start to show symptoms of Covid-19 during my quarantine period?

If you become unwell or show any symptoms of Covid-19 you should report this to us through e-vision. You will be required to notify other members of your flat and all residents will have to self-isolate for 14 days from the date you start showing symptoms. Food and other supplies can be delivered to your flat by registering at https://www.brunelisolators.co.uk/. If you or any member of your flat become seriously ill you will need to notify security immediately, details can be found in your room.